1. Help....How much benadryl to give my pitt

My dog had a allergic reaction today....we can't figure out from what, she has hives.

She had them once before and we $#@!umed they were from the carpet shampoo we used the night before because that night she was running around and rolling on the carpet. I took her to the vet and they gave her a benadryl shot and a steroid shot. About 8 hours later I picked her up and she's fine.

We have NOT shampooed the carpet and she has them again. She had conjunctivitis this week and I took her to a vet and got eye cream that I have been using on her for the last 3 days, and she did not have a reaction to it. The hives appeared today and if it was the cream I would think she would have had this problem 2 or 3 days ago. She has not ate anything new, has not gone anywhere. I can't figure out why she has it.

Anyways, I was making great money when I took her in (she was abandoned as a pup). But I was recently laid off (gotta love the economy) and don't have the money to take her to the vet again, I have a family and just had to pay over $400 to keep our health insurance going. The point is....we love our dog, and would take her to the vet now if we could. But they refuse to give us any advice unless we bring her in. It kills me to see her like this. So please don't lecture me with "well, you shouldn't have took on the dog if you couldn't be prepared for this". Sh*t happens and things don't always go as planned.

I heard you can give a dog benadryl for hives. This morning at 10am I gave her one 25mg tablet She is 40lbs. It seemed to help, but later it got a little worse so I was wondering if 2 tabs would be ok, she does not have a problem with her breathing and is actually very playful right now. I'm just wondering if 2 tabs seems ok.

And I OBVIOUSLY know not to go over board with the meds but I was just wondering if benadryl can kill a dog if you go just a little over the lb/mg dosage. She's family and I'm just over protective and don't want to give her a little more(even though she looks like she needs it) in fear of doing serious damage.

Any help would be appreiciated.

Sage is about 1 year old and 40lbs (I think she's not full pit because I would $#@!ume she would be bigger)

Quote Originally Posted by stevez93082 View Post
    My dog had a allergic reaction today....we can't figure out from what, she has hives.

She had them once before and we $#@!umed they were from the carpet shampoo we used the night before because that night she was running around and rolling on the carpet. I took her to the vet and they gave her a benadryl shot and a steroid shot. About 8 hours later I picked her up and she's fine.

We have NOT shampooed the carpet and she has them again. She had conjunctivitis this week and I took her to a vet and got eye cream that I have been using on her for the last 3 days, and she did not have a reaction to it. The hives appeared today and if it was the cream I would think she would have had this problem 2 or 3 days ago. She has not ate anything new, has not gone anywhere. I can't figure out why she has it.

Anyways, I was making great money when I took her in (she was abandoned as a pup). But I was recently laid off (gotta love the economy) and don't have the money to take her to the vet again, I have a family and just had to pay over $400 to keep our health insurance going. The point is....we love our dog, and would take her to the vet now if we could. But they refuse to give us any advice unless we bring her in. It kills me to see her like this. So please don't lecture me with "well, you shouldn't have took on the dog if you couldn't be prepared for this". Sh*t happens and things don't always go as planned.

I heard you can give a dog benadryl for hives. This morning at 10am I gave her one 25mg tablet She is 40lbs. It seemed to help, but later it got a little worse so I was wondering if 2 tabs would be ok, she does not have a problem with her breathing and is actually very playful right now. I'm just wondering if 2 tabs seems ok.

And I OBVIOUSLY know not to go over board with the meds but I was just wondering if benadryl can kill a dog if you go just a little over the lb/mg dosage. She's family and I'm just over protective and don't want to give her a little more(even though she looks like she needs it) in fear of doing serious damage.

Any help would be appreiciated.

Sage is about 1 year old and 40lbs (I think she's not full pit because I would $#@!ume she would be bigger)
    one mg per pound is safe

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tristateapbt View Post
    one mg per pound is safe
    I agree

And also, 40 pounds is a perfect weight for an american pit bull terrier:)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristateapbt View Post
    one mg per pound is safe
    I agree...

Also, you can always call your Vet to get an idea of dosage for things like that. Usually they will help you over the phone. :)

Rolling on the carpet may just be the first sign that her 'allergy' is bothering her, ITCHY, then the hives appear. I would suspect a food allergy, what do you feed?

I had always heard 1mg per lb up to 3x a day. But a few months ago one of my dogs was bitten by a water mocassin and his leg swelled extremely quickly so I called my vet and he told me that for an acute reaction 2mg per lb of bodyweight is safe. I gave my 39lb border collie 75mg and he was fine and the swelling did get better (though he ended up needing surgery anyway).

7. itchy

Per vet handbook 2mg per pound every 8 hrs. is safe.

8. Quote Originally Posted by RuffMuttK9z View Post
    I had always heard 1mg per lb up to 3x a day. But a few months ago one of my dogs was bitten by a water mocassin .
    Cant those kill?? :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by running with bulls View Post
    Cant those kill?? :eek:
    Yes, they can. But he was bitten on his rear foot which is probably the only thing that saved him. If it's anywhere near the face the dog can go into anaphylactic shock before you even know what's happened. This was his foot about 2 hours after the bite.

Then the next morning a big sore had formed and the vet had to cut a bunch of necrotic tissue out of his foot. Here it is after the bandage came off after surgery:

Then as it was healing:

And this one's a result of a brown recluse bite:

So yeah, don't move to TX because we have some nasty buggers here!!

Is blue brand dog food good for pitbulls