1. How much exercise is enough

I have a one and a half year old female boxer/pit. I don't have a fenced in yard so I walk her for an hour daily. Is this enough exercise? I can't stand the cold so if it's below 32 degrees I try to do two half hour walks. On weekends my daughter will take her out and run with her. Any suggestions as to how I can exercise her more without having to go outside if it snows or rains?

The amount of exercise really depends on the energy of your dog.
    That sounds like a good amount though.

You could try a treadmill.

I bought Dooley a basketball, oh he loves it. I drivel around and he tries to catch it, runs and jumps all around me. I let him catch it sometimes, others, he actually take it from me. Either way, when I try to take it away from him, he grabs if with the paws, and tries to bite on it. He uses most of the muscles on his body. In 10 minutes workout, he is exhausted and ready for a nap.
    I walk him 30 minutes in the morning and 30 to 40 in the afternoon. Like 2 1/2 miles walks.

Images
    How brisk are the walks that you take? Each dog is different as to how much they need, but to give you an idea, I try to give my 2 year old girl at least 30 minutes of hard exercise daily. That's balls to the wall running her $#@! off exercise. She's a drivey dog, though, so it is what she needs to not drive us insane.

A good rule of thumb as far as how much exercise to give your dog is: "A tired dog is a good dog."

As far as what you can do, there is a wide variety and if you think outside of the conventional ways/places to exercise your dog there are even more.

A favorite game for my dogs and I when it's -30 degrees outside is to play a game of fetch in our hallways. We have a 25 foot hallway that I throw a ball down and they bring back. Do that without a break for 15-20 minutes and you'll have a panting pup.

How does your dog feel about swimming? In the summer it's a great low impact activity for your dog. If you don't have access to a river, lake, or dog friendly pool try getting a stock tank and throw a ball that floats in there for the dog to chase around.

Then there are flirtpoles and springpoles. All the jumping and pulling is great exercise.

If your dog's a puller, get a harness and strap 'em to a sled. Then your kids and dog can have fun outside together. Kids get to go sledding while the dog gets a workout. But make sure to check your dog's feet for cold or get booties. The method should work in the summer too using a bicycle or skateboard or rollerskates.

I hope that is enough to get you started!

I take Guinness for walks everyday.. but if he is still really excited and its cold outside.. I bought one of those laser lights.. and I shine it to the back of the fence.. he goes ballistic running back and forth.. I do it in the house too.. Really works if you dont feel like running one day or just haven't tuckered them out enough..

Images
    If he's still getting into stuff and being a brat, he may need more exercise time. But, if he's content, and ready for a nap, he's probably getting enough exercise. Like stated above, it really depends on his energy level. You might try getting a flirt pole in the spring, that way, the dog gets all the workout needed, and you aren't quite as exhausted. Your daughter could play with the dog with the flirt pole as well. Think of it as one of those cat toys with the feathers tied on the end of a string... except it's big enough for a pit bull.
    Last edited by Mollie's Nana; 01-06-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo

7. As everyone has said, it'll vary from dog to dog. What you want to aim for is at the end of the day, when you are ready for bed, that your dog is tired and ready to rest as well. If he's still jittery and can't relax, then he needs to be worked more.

Average day for Rider;
    4-5 mile bike ride. 15 minute walk to the field. 8-10 Long Distance Retrieves. Some tug, some mind work in the yard, and whatever else pops up in a regular day.

When I'm conditioning him or just working him a little harder, it gets more intense, but the above is a good start to keep him steady.

Images
    The treadmill works the best for us. I hate the cold weather and so do my dogs. They do not like walking in it. They would sleep all day if I let them. They love the treadmill and it seems to get all their energy out.
    Good Luck

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by olivepit View Post
    I have a one and a half year old female boxer/pit. I don't have a fenced in yard so I walk her for an hour daily. Is this enough exercise? I can't stand the cold so if it's below 32 degrees I try to do two half hour walks. On weekends my daughter will take her out and run with her. Any suggestions as to how I can exercise her more without having to go outside if it snows or rains?
    If it is raining or snowing out, I still take my dog out but for a shorter amount of time.

I do have enough room at home to play with a frisbee.

Also, I put some dry dog food in a bowl, and I throw up each pellet in the air and ask her to catch. It gets her focus and concentrate on each pellet that by the time the bowl is finish, my dog is exhausted.

That might be something you want to try... esp if you can't take your dog out for too long.

10. Smile Treadmill Train

I have to say, once I trained my dog how to walk/run on a treadmill those miserable rainy days have been much better for my boy. I started by putting him on a leash and slowly walking him, while giving him encouragments and a treat every so often, now he truly enjoys walking on a treadmill.

11. Nice sharing.
    When i go for walk then my boxer do walk and running with me, I think there is
    no special exercise for our pets, walking and running is too much.

Wow holy old $#@! thread!

What do you mean there is no special exercise for these dogs? And how is walking and running to much for these dogs? They are the ultimate canine athlete and NEED to be worked most of the time and walking and running, IMO, is a must!

Images
    i think the they mean for their own dog that is how they work them?

i think when the dog is tired its enough. If Peanut is still driving me crazy or laying on the floor staring at me whining he has clearly not had enough exercise but if he is wanting to nap during the day he is good to go :)