Question Olive Oil vs Canola Oil

When I first got my puppy, we dealt with lots of skin issues. A lot of these stem from his pink skin, which is more sensitive that darker skin. And, shortly after got him, he started to lay in front of heater vents to stay warm...so we were battling dry skin issues.

After trying numerous things, including switching foods multiple times, we've finally found something that works. He gets Benedryl 2x/day, 1 fish oil capsule 1x/day, and about a TBS of olive oil in his food (Blue Buffalo Fish & Sweet Potato, probably switching to their grain free line soon). You definitely notice the difference if he doesn't get his Benedryl, but he can usually miss either of the oils for a day or meal and be ok.

Anyway, my question is if there's a big difference between giving olive oil and canola oil...both are lighter oils, and canola oil is cheaper than olive oil! Some things I've read online say to use either, but am just wondering what other folks might think.

I just was watching on TV something about oils and basically it said canola oil is one of the ''bad'' oils and olive oil's better. Not sure if that applies to dogs though.

Images
    Don't do either, use fish oil. It's an animal oil not a plant oil so they absorb it better. I use and highly recommend SeaPet.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineOblivion19 View Post
    Don't do either, use fish oil. It's an animal oil not a plant oil so they absorb it better. I use and highly recommend SeaPet.
    That's what I was thinking, too. I used flax oil for ages with Venus and it didn't do diddley. The fish oil worked way better, although if the food she was on wasn't appropriate, she'd still get a dry coat regardless. :rolleyes:

Olive oil and Salmon oil are the best for dogs. I would not use canola oil.

Since he is getting the fish oil, I suppose I could just remove the oil all together and see how he does. He was on olive oil before I added the fish oil, and did better about a week after the fish oil was added and only keeps getting better. I planned to take away the oil in the spring/summer when we turn the heater off, since he likes to lay in front of heater vents to stay warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    That's what I was thinking, too. I used flax oil for ages with Venus and it didn't do diddley. The fish oil worked way better, although if the food she was on wasn't appropriate, she'd still get a dry coat regardless. :rolleyes:

Boogieman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOblivion19 View Post
    I absolutely agree and use the fish oil too.

8. I agree with the fish oil also...Does anyone use Vit E I read some where it was also good????

Images
    In all honesty, the SeaPet brand of fish oil is the best you can buy. Don't bother with cheap store brands or salmon oils; it's generally a waste of money and people end up saying "fish oil didn't do anything to help." SeaPet is pure and their lowest grade oil has a higher concentration than pretty much anything on the market, and they have others that are even stronger. I buy the Omega 3 oil by the gallon.

Fish oil is not only good for skin and coat but it's beneficial for heart, brain, liver and is an excellent anti inflammatory.

Images
    I definitely would not give fish oil and another type together that to me is overdoing it

I'd stick with the fish oil. Also with fish oil you are supposed to give vitamin e from everything I've read.

If I were you I'd also keep the pup away from the heater. If he already has skin issues it is not the best thing for him.

I had read this, too. A friend of mine gives her dogs Vit E, but we seemed to be doing ok with the olive oil + fish oil.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticKarma View Post
    I agree with the fish oil also...Does anyone use Vit E I read some where it was also good????

12. Quote Originally Posted by CelticKarma View Post
    I agree with the fish oil also...Does anyone use Vit E I read some where it was also good????
    Vit E is good, but I'd consult a vet as to the dosage. It is possible to overdose on it.

Bess has scotty cramp and there are studies that vit E has reduced the likelyhood of incidents. The dosage for her is 125IU daily.

Images
    My pup had a bit of dry skin & the breeder advised to give a little olive oil w/ food. We use safflower oil on our skin, so I asked if it was OK for Mongo. He said, "yep." We added a bit from a med dropper to his food daily and applied a bit to dry patches 1x daily. It cleared up in about 5 days. His coat is now flawless! Good luck.

By the way, canola oil is what they used to call rapeseed oil, you can find plenty of info on the internet. I don't give it to my family, definitely wouldn't give it to a pet.