Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Puppy won't eat dry

    She will be 6 weeks old Thursday and she will not eat her dry food. I'm feeding Wellness wet and am trying to switch over to the Wellness Dry. She shows no interest. But she is constantly trying to run over to the cats bowls to eat thier Science Diet dry. A few times I've taken a few minutes to relize where she took off to and she was woofing the cat food down.

    Why won't she eat the Wellness dry but has no problem with the cats dry food? Should I try a differant brand? Could she not like the taste of the wellness....she loves thier wet.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Battle Ground, WA
    Posts
    824
    Make sure she does not get into the cat food - it is likely too high in protein. Maybe have the cats eat up higher somewhere?

    You could try putting 2 tablespoons of the wet food in the bottom of her food bowl, then put the dry kibble on top. Or try adding some warm water to the canned food, and mix into the kibble. Short term only, and decrease the amount of wet food or you could end up with a picky eater on your hands.

  3. #3
    I've tryed moistening the dry with hot hot water and letting it soak and then giving it to her...didn't work. Mixing it with the wet works to a point but she doesnt finish it and goes looking for the cat food! I pul her away when i catch her so shes not there for more than 30 seconds but feeding higher is definitly an option.

    Wellness cans are way to expensive for her to get stuck on LOL

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    2,396
    Images
    5
    Your pup is only 6 weeks old...should really still be getting nourishment from the mother. They will start eating solid food around 7 weeks +/- 1 week, but remember dogs do not have molars that crush food like we do. All thier back teeth are sharp and pointed for tearing. Definitely keep the cat food up where your pup can not get to it...preferably in a different room so the smell doesn't distract your pup from it's own food.

  5. #5
    George Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDawg View Post
    Your pup is only 6 weeks old...should really still be getting nourishment from the mother. They will start eating solid food around 7 weeks +/- 1 week, but remember dogs do not have molars that crush food like we do. All thier back teeth are sharp and pointed for tearing. Definitely keep the cat food up where your pup can not get to it...preferably in a different room so the smell doesn't distract your pup from it's own food.
    What he said, What I would do if the mother is no longer around is. Go get some pet milk for puppy's and add a little bit to the food to soften it up a bit, plus the pup gets its nutrients from the milk as well.

  6. #6
    Thanks Everyone for your advice. My friend had an unused bag of science diet puppy so I gave it a try to see if it was the wellness dry she did not like or just dry in general.

    She loves the Science Diet. This is NOT a food that I want to keep her on though as I know its not that high quality.

    Any suggestions of an alternative food that is comparable to wellness and not much of a price differance?

  7. Quote Originally Posted by princesstrish617 View Post
    Thanks Everyone for your advice. My friend had an unused bag of science diet puppy so I gave it a try to see if it was the wellness dry she did not like or just dry in general.

    She loves the Science Diet. This is NOT a food that I want to keep her on though as I know its not that high quality.

    Any suggestions of an alternative food that is comparable to wellness and not much of a price differance?
    Look into Innova:)

  8. Quote Originally Posted by princesstrish617 View Post
    Any suggestions of an alternative food that is comparable to wellness and not much of a price differance?
    Blue Buffalo, Innova, Orijen, etc. are excellent options. You can also moisten the dry food with warm water to entice her.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by princesstrish617 View Post
    I've tryed moistening the dry with hot hot water and letting it soak and then giving it to her...didn't work. Mixing it with the wet works to a point but she doesnt finish it and goes looking for the cat food! I pul her away when i catch her so shes not there for more than 30 seconds but feeding higher is definitly an option.

    Wellness cans are way to expensive for her to get stuck on LOL
    Mix the dry food with egg!! Works everytime with my pup.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    4,128
    Images
    10
    Honestly all this mixing of other tasty things and you giving her access to the cat's food is the problem. At 6 weeks she can certainly eat her own food and it sounds like to me she is finicky and manipulating you. How long have you had this pup? Was she weaned when you got her? What was she eating at the breeder's house?

    First get the cat's food to a place where she can not reach it at all.

    Analogy:
    You give a 4 year old child the choice of
    chocolate and a bowl of Fruit Loops for dinner
    or
    a plate of grilled chicken and veggies with a gl$#@! of milk
    What do you think they'd pick?

    To her the cats food probably smells and maybe even tastes better however it is not made with the proper nutrition for a growing developing pup.

    Dogs don't know what is best for them so you have to make sure to feed correctly which that part I know you already realize...

    A couple of quick questions.....Has this pup been checked by the vet , had any shots, been wormed? Here is how to fix the issue as long as this is a healthy and not a sickly or very very young pup I have never known this to fail:

    #1 buy a good all life stages food like regular Innova or whatever YOU choose to be the best for your dog. Remember the dog doesn't get to do taste testing or choose. Soften the food with either a little warm puppy replacement milk and or water prior to feeding

    #2 put the food down at meal time with nothing else added

    #3 give the pup 5 minutes max to start eating and if he doesn't take the food away immediately. Because this is a young pup hand feeding or putting the food in a bowl that is easy to get the head into is also helpful at times.

    #4 do not offer the pup food again until the next meal time and do not give any treats between meals until the problem is fixed totally. I feed pups that young at least 4 times a day splitting up the food into small meals

    #5 repeat step 3 and 4 at the next meal time

    Within a day the pup will figure out that he has to eat when it is put down. He will not starve himself. If the pup still doesn't respond to this post again

    Always keep plenty of fresh water out no matter what the eating schedule

    Hope that helps

  11. If you can, feed the cats in a different room (my 2 cats eat in the laundry room on the dryer - works great). I close the door as long as they eat. Katie loves cat food (as probably all dogs do) and I had no option - and if she could reach it, she would take it from the dryer.

  12. #12
    Thanks Patch - thats some great advice! Your right I have been tending to her fussy habits. Now she doesnt even want the Wellness wet - she is absolutley obbsessed with the cat food so I am moving it on a desk that is in my laundry room. I have decided to switch to Innova because its been reccomended by people on here as well as personal friends who feed it also. Its only a small price differance compared to the wellness. I bought 4 cans of wet today and plan on buying a bag of the puppy dry on Monday and starting the switch over to that dry food completley. I definitly want her off the wet also. I had her since she was 4 weeks. She is from a BYB before I knew any better.

    He was feeding beneful but I wanted to go with a more premium food. She has been to the vet twice. Has had 2 wormings and her first distemper.

    I'll update on how all goes after the weekend.

    Thanks Everyone

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    321
    also, i am kind of dealing with the same dilemma... my pup is 10 weeks old now, almost 11 and he may already be a fussy eater. my fault totally. so the breeder told me to feed him mince and veggies with pasta and things like that, and i believe he has adopted this as normal feed, so when the dry food goes down, he turns his head away, and even so raw meat, he only eats it if i cook the mince... how can i fix this problem? and is it ok to start feeding him raw meat at 11 wks? i tried mixing a bit of dry food in with the mince and he eats it every time, but dry food by itself....fussy pup.

  14. #14
    Boogieman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LZRD84 View Post
    also, i am kind of dealing with the same dilemma... my pup is 10 weeks old now, almost 11 and he may already be a fussy eater. my fault totally. so the breeder told me to feed him mince and veggies with pasta and things like that, and i believe he has adopted this as normal feed, so when the dry food goes down, he turns his head away, and even so raw meat, he only eats it if i cook the mince... how can i fix this problem? and is it ok to start feeding him raw meat at 11 wks? i tried mixing a bit of dry food in with the mince and he eats it every time, but dry food by itself....fussy pup.
    You may not think so but it's simple as this.......put the dry down each night for 15 or 20 min. If it don't eat pick it up. You'll have that pup eating dry kibble in no time. The problem is the dog is training you.....you're not training the dog.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    The problem is the dog is training you.....you're not training the dog.
    Amen

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    42.163N 123.646W
    Posts
    202
    I can sympathize w/you princesstrish617, my boy didn't really like the 4 star kibble that I was giving him. I don't know about the rest of you but, I am a freak on him right now, wanting him to gain all the weight and size he can while giving him the advantage of top of the line foods and such.
    What I did was to mix a lil chicken meat (a tablespoon or so) into a bowl of the kibble and he eats the hell out of it. I will probably buy another brand of food for the next bag and continue till I find one he likes. So far I have tried, Nutro: Large Puppy and now Cannadae: Salmon something or rather.
    He likes the Cannadae better than the Nutro but doesn't eat it the way he goes at a cheap bowl of kibble. I don't really mind putting a lil chicken meat in there, it helps reduce the leftovers waste and it's good for him.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-02-2014, 04:33 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 03:10 PM
  5. I am puppy sitting Chipmunks baby puppy Drake, PIC OVERLOAD
    By April in forum Photography, Artwork & Videos
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

puppy wont eat dry food

why wont my pitbull puppy eat

pitbull puppy wont eat

my puppy pitbull wont eat

puppy wont eat wellness

should a 7 week old puppy eat wet food or dry

6 week old pitbull puppy wont eat

my puppy is 6month old and wont eat dry food

pitbull wont eat dry food

my 7 week old pitbull puppy is not eating please help

If your pitbull puppy doesnt eat what is the problem

6 week old pup wont eat dry food

catfood good for 6week old pitbull

pitbull puppy 6 weeks old wont eat

my pitbull puppy wont eat

should a 6 week old puppy eat dry food

My pitbull puppy wont eat all his blue buffalo food

5 week pup wont eat solid food

my six week old pit puppy wont eat since last nightwhat if my 7 week old puppy dont eat8 week old puppy will not eat kibble no matter what is on it6 week mastiff puppy wont eatcan a 7 week old pup eat dry foodi adopted a 6 week old puppy and she wont eatmy pitbull puppy wont eat his dry foodmy 6 week puppy wont eat7 week old puppy wont eat kibblepitbull puppy still wont eat9 month old pitbull wont eat7 week old puppy wont eat dry foodpuppy wont eat solid food at 7 weekscan i feed a six week old puppy bread soaked in water if she wont eat8 week old puppy is very fussy and wont eat dry foodmy 5 month old pitbull wont eat dry dog food.my pitbull puppy wont eat her dog food

Bookmarks