1. Exclamation 6 week old pup-vaccines? Can I give some of them myself?

Hi, I have a 6 week old pup. There are some feed stores that sell some of the vaccines that you can do yourself, and I have given those to dogs before but what I want to know is what age does he have to be to receive those, and what ones does the vet need to give? I know the vet needs to do rabies, but what else and how old should he be for those? I hope you can understand what I am asking! XD Also, as far as worming, is that something thats fine to do with a product from the pet store or should the vet do it? Thank you very much for your response, this is obviously important!

I'm not sure about the vaccines but I would use stongid T for the worming. Its my understanding that the petstore wormers are junk. Strongid T can be bought online or you might even be able to get it at the feed store. Is .01 cc per lb

3. At six weeks you can give them the vaccines from the feed stores, just make sure and give two more doses at three to four weeks apart.

I DO NOT recommend feed store vaccines, OR doing vaccines yourself at home....especially on a 6 week old puppy. It should have a thorough veterinary exam and decide which vaccines are best for it then. Also they will be sure it's healthy enough for vaccines....vaccinating a puppy that "looks healthy" but could have something underlying.....is a recipe for death!

Take to mind that a vaccine is quite literally a blow to the immune system, and while most vaccines are "modified live" vaccines and are a way to build up the dog's immune system.....a sick puppy would not be able to utilize the vaccine properly and could have disasterous affects.

I DO NOT trust feed store vaccines, as I have seen way too many animals get sick and die even though they have received feed store vaccines from their owners. Just last week I watched in disbelief and helplessness as a gorgeous 8 week old lab pup died of Parvo after the owners gave it all it's vaccines at home from the feed store....and then waited too long to bring it to a vet for treatment.....so sad and yet so easily preventable!! (and also so common!! Beware of feed store vaccines!!!)

Vaccines must be properly shipped and handled, as they are very sensitive to temperature changes...and may look fine but are actually ineffective from mishandling by the feed store and purchaser.

While any dog or puppy can get parvo...pit's, rotties and huskies tend to be the breeds that are the most affected by the major strains of parvo. They are less likely to recover from it as opposed to other breeds of dogs...something about their genetic immunity makes it more difficult for them to survive a bout with parvo....so I would NOT take a chance with my pit bull pup if I were you.

and Princesstrish617 is right.....pet store dewormers are useless and a waste of money.....Strongid-T is what we use and recommend IF you are dealing with the basic hookworms and roundworms.....BUT if you have something else in your new pup (which only a vet could detect....bring a fresh fecal sample!) such as coccida, giardia, or tapeworms....(or more....depending on the pup's history and where you live) Strongid-T won't do much for you.

While feed store vaccines and doing it yourself may sound like a way to save money and time.....it can end up costing you more in the long run then if you were to just go to a reliable vet and have them do the exam and vaccines, and they can decide the pup's vaccine schedule. Giving your pup a good start will ensure them a long and healthy future...

Good luck!! :)

5. Quote Originally Posted by SilverBug View Post
    I DO NOT recommend feed store vaccines, OR doing vaccines yourself at home....especially on a 6 week old puppy. It should have a thorough veterinary exam and decide which vaccines are best for it then. Also they will be sure it's healthy enough for vaccines....vaccinating a puppy that "looks healthy" but could have something underlying.....is a recipe for death!

Take to mind that a vaccine is quite literally a blow to the immune system, and while most vaccines are "modified live" vaccines and are a way to build up the dog's immune system.....a sick puppy would not be able to utilize the vaccine properly and could have disasterous affects.

I DO NOT trust feed store vaccines, as I have seen way too many animals get sick and die even though they have received feed store vaccines from their owners. Just last week I watched in disbelief and helplessness as a gorgeous 8 week old lab pup died of Parvo after the owners gave it all it's vaccines at home from the feed store....and then waited too long to bring it to a vet for treatment.....so sad and yet so easily preventable!! (and also so common!! Beware of feed store vaccines!!!)

Vaccines must be properly shipped and handled, as they are very sensitive to temperature changes...and may look fine but are actually ineffective from mishandling by the feed store and purchaser.

While any dog or puppy can get parvo...pit's, rotties and huskies tend to be the breeds that are the most affected by the major strains of parvo. They are less likely to recover from it as opposed to other breeds of dogs...something about their genetic immunity makes it more difficult for them to survive a bout with parvo....so I would NOT take a chance with my pit bull pup if I were you.

and Princesstrish617 is right.....pet store dewormers are useless and a waste of money.....Strongid-T is what we use and recommend IF you are dealing with the basic hookworms and roundworms.....BUT if you have something else in your new pup (which only a vet could detect....bring a fresh fecal sample!) such as coccida, giardia, or tapeworms....(or more....depending on the pup's history and where you live) Strongid-T won't do much for you.

While feed store vaccines and doing it yourself may sound like a way to save money and time.....it can end up costing you more in the long run then if you were to just go to a reliable vet and have them do the exam and vaccines, and they can decide the pup's vaccine schedule. Giving your pup a good start will ensure them a long and healthy future...

Good luck!! :)
    Thank you so much for this, thats what I was curious about/afraid of. I will definately schedule a vet appointment for vaccines for him now :) Thanks again!

Glad I could be of help....best of luck with your new pup! :)