Kennel where pit bulls seized called a major breeding center

By Monte Mitchell
    JOURNAL REPORTER
    Published: December 12, 2008

MILLERS CREEK - Authorities have seized 127 pit bulls in Wilkes County at what the Humane Society of the United States says is one of the nation's largest breeding operations for fighting dogs.
    Investigators spent more than 14 hours in a raid Wednesday at Wildside Kennels at 5636 Mertie Road in the mountains of northwest Wilkes County.
    The raid capped a three-year investigation by the Humane Society of the United States, in cooperation with Wilkes County authorities.
    Arrested were the owner of Wildside Kennels, Edward Anthony Faron, 61; his son Donni Juan Casanova, 18; and Amanda Grace Lunsford, 25.
    They were each charged with one felony count of dog fighting and baiting. Each posted a $2,500 bond and was released. Other charges are pending, authorities said.
    The kennel did not appear to be a place where people came to see dog fights but rather was a breeding operation where some of the animals bore scars consistent with dog fighting, said Chris Shew, the chief deputy for the Wilkes County Sheriff's Office.
    The dogs -- 62 adults and 65 puppies -- are being housed in undisclosed locations. The dogs will be held as evidence pending a court order or a trial.
    Veterinarians examined each of the adult dogs at the scene. Some of the dogs were in wire kennel enclosures, and many of the dogs were staked out at individual dog houses, Shew said.
    The dogs appeared to have been fed and cared for, authorities said. There were no incidents during the raid.
    A forensic veterinarian who is part of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' CSI Unit was at the raid to evaluate the seized dogs for evidence of animal fighting.
    Faron is well-known in the dog-fighting world, said John Goodwin, the manager of animal-fighting issues for the Humane Society of the United States.
    The Wildside Kennels' Web site includes a disclaimer that reads: "No dogs bred, raised or sold for illegal purposes."
    Such a disclaimer is common among people who sell fighting dogs, Goodwin said.
    "This is a man who is nationally known," he said. "We recognize him as one of the top 10 breeders of fighting dogs in the United States."
    Faron was convicted of dog fighting in Alamance County in 1989, Goodwin said. The crime was a misdemeanor then.
    Investigators seized thousands of items during the raid, Shew said, mostly paperwork that includes records of sales. He declined to discuss what other evidence was seized.
    Goodwin said that Faron sold dogs throughout the United States and possibly overseas.
    Attempts to reach Wildside Kennels yesterday were unsuccessful.
    The kennel's Web site featured sales listings for dogs with such names as Black Beauty, Buckfifty, Tugboat Annie, Dracula, Little Nicky, Vader and Wicked. The online ads featured pedigrees of the dogs, but no prices.
    In general, a pit-bull puppy from a kennel might sell for $500 to $750, Goodwin said. An adult dog that is considered a good fighting prospect might go for more than $1,000, while a champion fighting dog might bring more than $10,000.
    Casanova was featured in several videos that could be viewed yesterday on Faron's MySpace page. In one of the videos, Casanova showed puppies that were in a fenced kennel.
    "We have these two good-looking little puppies," he said. "As you see they're nice and fat and healthy." He went on to show other puppies and talk about their lineage.
    Faron is also well known as a co-author of The Complete Gamedog -- A Guide to Breeding and Raising the American Pit Bull Terrier, a book that includes graphic accounts of gruesome injuries inflicted on fighting dogs. The book contains a disclaimer that says that the accounts are fictional.
    The kennel is in an isolated part of Wilkes County, roughly between N.C. 16 and N.C. 18. Property records show that Faron owns about 24 acres there.
    Shew said he asked Faron why he had moved there and said that Faron talked about how beautiful the area is.
    The isolation also offered a place where barking dogs wouldn't bother neighbors, authorities say.
    Goodwin said that a raid on an urban dog fighting breeder might net 12 or so dogs, while a raid in a rural area might typically get more than 24 dogs.
    He described a seizure of 127 dogs as "gigantic."
    It's the largest dog seizure ever in Wilkes County, County Attorney Tony Triplett said.
    Wilkes County authorities cooperated with the Humane Society of the United States' three-year investigation. County authorities were particularly active in the investigation over the last few months and also spent time finding places to keep the dogs so the county animal shelter wouldn't be overwhelmed, Shew and Triplett said.
    Goodwin said he was impressed with local authorities.
    "If I was a dog fighter I'd stay out of Wilkes County," he said.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2...a-major-breed/

2. Here are some quotes from a book Ed Faron wrote. I hope they convict him.
    ---
    "Vindicator was really punishing Zebo’s front legs, but Zebo was hurting Vindicator’s nose putting holes in his muzzle the size of my little finger, and the blood was running all over.” Page 33

“I believe I kept Homer this time and rolled him on a Zebo dog, and he ruined it in about five minutes, took part of it’s jaw out.” Page 37

“His face had only just healed from that fight with the Wreckers’ dog and he got his nose chewed half off again, that night.” Page 40

“Everyone told me afterwards that Miss Rufus was a fantastic bitch; she got on the head and rode it for the first ten minutes or so until she wore the other bitch down and then she went in and worked the chest, legs, brisket- everything. She broke both of the bitch’s front legs and even reportedly broke several of her ribs. Willie B. told us that the bitch she beat had been the best Red Boy bitch he had ever seen.” Page 44

“She had one of the fastest, hardest mouths we’d ever seen, and she snapped one of Miss Rufus’ front legs like a twig.” Page 45

“Miss Rufus spent most of the rest of the fight on her back and Bandit broke her other front leg high up in the shoulder, as well as one of her back legs, in the knee joint. The only leg she didn’t break she chewed all to hell. She had literally scalped Miss Rufus, tearing a big chunk of skin off the top of her head alongside one ear.” Page 45

“She was a super-rough dog that hit our bitch hard and laid one of her legs open to the bone as soon as she was released. That was her first and last hold. At nine minutes Jolene had broke her front legs and was working the throat of a down dog.” Page 50

“We later found out that she had broken both of her opponent’s front legs and literally tore one of them off.” Page 53

“Sadie had destroyed her face so badly that her sinuses were crushed, her whole face was pulsing up and down as she breathed and air was bubbling out of the holes on her muzzle and around her eyes. The last thing Jolene did before losing consciousness entirely was throw up an incredible amount of blood- we couldn’t figure out how she could have swallowed so much. We carefully pried open her mouth and peered inside with a flashlight, and it was then we saw just how badly she was hurt. There was a big hole between her eyes- big enough on the outside to stick a dime into, and this hole went clear through her skull, emerging in the roof of her mouth just in front of her throat. A thin trickle of blood was running down her throat, she must have been hemorrhaging throughout the fight. We sat there helplessly, watching our pride and joy take one last faltering breath, and then Jolene was gone.” Page 54

“It’s a shame she had to run into one she couldn’t beat, but it would have been wrong to deny Jolene her chance and we believe it was the happiest day of her life.” Page 55 referring to the fight described in the quote above

“We might as well tell you that we’re ‘Dutch Boy’ fanatics; considering we had a dog that could break either leg at any time, I mean, he broke muzzles, crushed skulls- we saw him bite dogs in the chest and their chest would literally collapse. That was Beau, and he was a Dutch Boy bred dog.” Page 60

“She loved to work the stifle, but she could do it all. I’ve seen her literally tear a dogs nose off.” Page 62

“The gamest dog I ever saw in my life was King David. At ten minutes, his right leg was broken. At twenty-three minutes, his left leg was broken. At thirty-seven he scratched on stumps, and at forty-eight minutes when he scratched he scratched down one wall and down the other until he got to Beau again.” Page 62

“We saw her punch holes through the chest and lung of a bitch in six minutes, one time; she was a punishing chest dog. Her sister was a brutal leg dog- she would slash them legs up, looked like someone used one of them Ginsu knives!” Page 62

“Boss took a chunk of bone out of that dog’s skull the size of a fifty-cent piece!” Page 62

“Sadie hit the front legs immediately, by the 15 minute mark she had both of Star’s front legs broken and one of them was completely gone- but Start kept on scratching, we couldn’t stop her.” Page 78

“His next three rolls were into a bigger dog than him (fifty pounds) and nothing went under forty minutes. In these rolls Roy had his foot broken and tendons in his front legs torn for life. His legs would never be the same.” Page 81

“He put the lower half of his jaw around the bottom of Bossman’s neck, his upper jaw on the back of his neck and bit!!! There was a ‘crack’ and Bossman straightened out and lost control of his bowels- he was stone-cold dead!!! Roy continued to crunch on Bossman’s skull.” Page 82-83

“Ajex gradually worked his way to the top and at forty-five minutes broke on of Bandit’s front legs with a loud snap. The leg dangled uselessly for the rest of the fight.” Page 92

“The pup off Bandit (blinded in one eye one back leg broken, and his head, chest both shoulders and both stifles badly damaged) finally quit, coming across and standing parallel with the dog on his last scratch. At this point the ‘dogman’ told the kid something to the effect of “see, I told you he was a cur like his father.” Page 97

“Sugar ruined two or three more of our dogs (puncturing a lung on one bitch)…” Page 103

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SRH1969 View Post
    Here are some quotes from a book Ed Faron wrote. I hope they convict him.
    ---

"Vindicator was really punishing Zebo’s front legs, but Zebo was hurting Vindicator’s nose putting holes in his muzzle the size of my little finger, and the blood was running all over.” Page 33

“I believe I kept Homer this time and rolled him on a Zebo dog, and he ruined it in about five minutes, took part of it’s jaw out.” Page 37

“His face had only just healed from that fight with the Wreckers’ dog and he got his nose chewed half off again, that night.” Page 40

“Everyone told me afterwards that Miss Rufus was a fantastic bitch; she got on the head and rode it for the first ten minutes or so until she wore the other bitch down and then she went in and worked the chest, legs, brisket- everything. She broke both of the bitch’s front legs and even reportedly broke several of her ribs. Willie B. told us that the bitch she beat had been the best Red Boy bitch he had ever seen.” Page 44

“She had one of the fastest, hardest mouths we’d ever seen, and she snapped one of Miss Rufus’ front legs like a twig.” Page 45

“Miss Rufus spent most of the rest of the fight on her back and Bandit broke her other front leg high up in the shoulder, as well as one of her back legs, in the knee joint. The only leg she didn’t break she chewed all to hell. She had literally scalped Miss Rufus, tearing a big chunk of skin off the top of her head alongside one ear.” Page 45

“She was a super-rough dog that hit our bitch hard and laid one of her legs open to the bone as soon as she was released. That was her first and last hold. At nine minutes Jolene had broke her front legs and was working the throat of a down dog.” Page 50

“We later found out that she had broken both of her opponent’s front legs and literally tore one of them off.” Page 53

“Sadie had destroyed her face so badly that her sinuses were crushed, her whole face was pulsing up and down as she breathed and air was bubbling out of the holes on her muzzle and around her eyes. The last thing Jolene did before losing consciousness entirely was throw up an incredible amount of blood- we couldn’t figure out how she could have swallowed so much. We carefully pried open her mouth and peered inside with a flashlight, and it was then we saw just how badly she was hurt. There was a big hole between her eyes- big enough on the outside to stick a dime into, and this hole went clear through her skull, emerging in the roof of her mouth just in front of her throat. A thin trickle of blood was running down her throat, she must have been hemorrhaging throughout the fight. We sat there helplessly, watching our pride and joy take one last faltering breath, and then Jolene was gone.” Page 54

“It’s a shame she had to run into one she couldn’t beat, but it would have been wrong to deny Jolene her chance and we believe it was the happiest day of her life.” Page 55 referring to the fight described in the quote above

“We might as well tell you that we’re ‘Dutch Boy’ fanatics; considering we had a dog that could break either leg at any time, I mean, he broke muzzles, crushed skulls- we saw him bite dogs in the chest and their chest would literally collapse. That was Beau, and he was a Dutch Boy bred dog.” Page 60

“She loved to work the stifle, but she could do it all. I’ve seen her literally tear a dogs nose off.” Page 62

“The gamest dog I ever saw in my life was King David. At ten minutes, his right leg was broken. At twenty-three minutes, his left leg was broken. At thirty-seven he scratched on stumps, and at forty-eight minutes when he scratched he scratched down one wall and down the other until he got to Beau again.” Page 62

“We saw her punch holes through the chest and lung of a bitch in six minutes, one time; she was a punishing chest dog. Her sister was a brutal leg dog- she would slash them legs up, looked like someone used one of them Ginsu knives!” Page 62

“Boss took a chunk of bone out of that dog’s skull the size of a fifty-cent piece!” Page 62

“Sadie hit the front legs immediately, by the 15 minute mark she had both of Star’s front legs broken and one of them was completely gone- but Start kept on scratching, we couldn’t stop her.” Page 78

“His next three rolls were into a bigger dog than him (fifty pounds) and nothing went under forty minutes. In these rolls Roy had his foot broken and tendons in his front legs torn for life. His legs would never be the same.” Page 81

“He put the lower half of his jaw around the bottom of Bossman’s neck, his upper jaw on the back of his neck and bit!!! There was a ‘crack’ and Bossman straightened out and lost control of his bowels- he was stone-cold dead!!! Roy continued to crunch on Bossman’s skull.” Page 82-83

“Ajex gradually worked his way to the top and at forty-five minutes broke on of Bandit’s front legs with a loud snap. The leg dangled uselessly for the rest of the fight.” Page 92

“The pup off Bandit (blinded in one eye one back leg broken, and his head, chest both shoulders and both stifles badly damaged) finally quit, coming across and standing parallel with the dog on his last scratch. At this point the ‘dogman’ told the kid something to the effect of “see, I told you he was a cur like his father.” Page 97

“Sugar ruined two or three more of our dogs (puncturing a lung on one bitch)…” Page 103
    YOU have absolutely NO idea what the hell you are talking about.

4. Like I said in the other thread regarding this case, play nice or don't play. Either respect everyone's opinions, or don't post.

Thank you:)

5. Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Like I said in the other thread regarding this case, play nice or don't play. Either respect everyone's opinions, or don't post.

Thank you:)
    x2 - Come on guys! This is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwolf View Post
    x2 - Come on guys! This is nuts.
    I third this. Lets keep this thread civil...

She should be banned for spamming. This is spamming what this person is doing. Making a single thread to debate a matter is one thing. But posting the same thing on multiple threads is spamming! Are you out to get WSK? Are you working for HSUS?

Quote Originally Posted by aristo View Post
    She should be banned for spamming. This is spamming what this person is doing. Making a single thread to debate a matter is one thing. But posting the same thing on multiple threads is spamming! Are you out to get WSK? Are you working for HSUS?
    I will not say this again. Keep it civil. I will lock this thread if you don't.

Looks like every quote is based on a match pre-1976, which means all stated are from a time when matching was legal. So, why should he be put in jail? Because he writing an account of history?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandJean View Post
    Looks like every quote is based on a match pre-1976, which means all stated are from a time when matching was legal. So, why should he be put in jail? Because he writing an account of history?
    Yes, and even MORE importantly....this is what I was referring too:

Is from a story being told about MOUNTAIN MAN...titled Chapter 2, "The old Man on the Mountain"
    This has nothing to do with Ed or his dog, or his yard, or what he did....it was about someone else PRE 1976

From Chapter 3 "Miss Rufus"
    This was no longer Ed's dog....it belonged to someone else.

Again.....

Again, not his dogs....

I could keep going if anyone needs me to...I am reading the book again....as we speak!

11. Looks like every quote is based on a match pre-1976, which means all stated are from a time when matching was legal. So, why should he be put in jail? Because he writing an account of history?
    I agree and he only Co-Authored the book and if you take the time to read the disclaimer you will see the words "fictional" The name of the book is "A Guide to Breeding and Raising the American Pit Bull Terrier" Not how to fight APBT. I am sure if you go pick up a book on Wars you will find that there are some pretty bad stuff in there may not make it right but it happened all the same, just as APBT were fought...It is HISTORY!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticKarma View Post
    I agree and he only Co-Authored the book and if you take the time to read the disclaimer you will see the words "fictional" The name of the book is "A Guide to Breeding and Raising the American Pit Bull Terrier" Not how to fight APBT. I am sure if you go pick up a book on Wars you will find that there are some pretty bad stuff in there may not make it right but it happened all the same, just as APBT were fought...It is HISTORY!
    YUP....1st page!

Oh but ask HSUS...that just means he is guilty! :rolleyes:

Images
    The owner of a pit bull terrier dog kennel on Mertie Road in Millers Creek charged with felony dog fighting and baiting Wednesday maintains his innocence.
    In an interview today, Edward A. Faron said he was a victim of entrapment, referring to two men who came to his house Monday and said they wanted to buy pit bulls for dog fighting. Faron, 61, said he now realized the two men were undercover officers.
    Needing money due to difficult economic conditions, said Faron, “I took the bait and started telling them what I thought they wanted to hear” when they asked for dogs for fighting.
    Faron said he otherwise didn’t knowingly sell dogs for fighting. Authorities haven’t said that they believe organized dog fights occurred on Faron’s property on Mertie Road.
    Although he was convicted of dog fighting and sentenced to a year in jail in Alamance County in June 1989, Faron said he didn’t engage in that illegal activity now. He also said he didn’t knowingly sell dogs for fighting.
    Faron emphasized the good care provided for the 127 pit bulls seized Wednesday at his Wildside Kennels.
    He said one of the dogs seized, a male named Vadar, had scars from being in dog fights before he bought the dog. He said another one, a male named Popeye, received an eye injury from a tree root while digging in the ground.
    Faron, originally from Ohio, said he became involved with training dogs when he returned to the United States after serving in the Vietnam War in 1970. He said he started breeding pit bulls in 1987 and started Wildside Kennels after moving to Millers Creek in 1996.
    According to county records, Faron has owned about 17 acres on Mertie Road since 1998 and an adjoining 7.4 acres since 2001. The property is about three miles from where Mertie Road intersects with Vannoy Road and about five miles from where Mertie Road intersects with N.C. 18 North.
    A MySpace website has videos showing pit bulls and other scenes at Wildside Kennels. It also features Faron and Donni “Don” Juan Casanova, one of the other two people charged with felony dog fighting and baiting Wednesday, talking about the kennels. Faron said he is the legal guardian for Casanova, who turns 19 this month.
    A website for Wildside Kennels, at www.renegadewebdesign.net, states, “No dogs bred, raised or sold for illegal purposes!” and lists extensive pedigree information for pit bulls at the kennel.
    Faron said he sells pit bull puppies for an average of $500 each. Wilkes Sheriff Dane Mastin said authorities believe Faron sold dogs for around $1,200 to $7,500 each.
    He said he also started the Appalachian Pit Bull Club, which he said has dog shows at the Taylorsville Lions Club Park in Taylorsville.
    After the Humane Society of the United States released news of the seizure of the 127 dogs and the charges against Faron and two other people Thursday morning, numerous people involved with pit bulls indicated their support of Faron and their belief in his innocence on Internet blogs.
    Kimberley Thomson of the Pender County town of Hampstead, who bought a pit bull from Faron and entered pit bulls in dog shows, said she opposed dog fighting and didn’t believe Faron was involved in that illegal activity.
    In an e-mail to the Wilkes Journal-Patriot, Ms. Thomson called Faron “a very compassionate, good hearted, dog loving breeder. I’ve seen for myself how much his animals love him. I’ve watched him hobble with his bad knees into their lots to love on them, as their tails wag so hard and they drench his face with kisses.”
    She added, “We show UKC/ADBA registered American pit bull terriers for conformation. We do not $#@!ociate with dog fighters. I abhor the practice and would not keep company with anyone who gave me the slightest inclination that they fought or sold fighting dogs, as I love this breed far too much. I’ve grown to love and admire Ed Faron personally as well as professionally. He breeds for conformation excellence and has a great love for the breed.
    She called Faron “a walking book of information” about pit bulls.
    “When you see over and over again the American pit bull terrier breeders being accused, uprooted, losing their livelihood and their animals destroyed, you’ve got to wonder what the ‘real’ agenda of HSUS (Humane Society of the U.S.) is,” she said.
    Referring to people acquitted in other dog fighting cases, Ms. Thomson said she believed the HSUS’ goal was “to abolish this amazing breed.”

http://www.journalpatriot.com/fullstory.asp?id=944

14. Thumbs down

I saw the same quotes verse for verse on "dogbite.org." Is this person a member of that forum? That forbids us from posting anything positive about the APBT. We cant even defend the dogs or people involved on that forum. It must be nice to be able to float and spread that nonsense without being impeded! When you make it back over there you should mention how generous APBT lovers are. Unlike them we value others opinions.