Sample adoption agreement

ADOPTION AGREEMENT

TERMS OF ADOPTION:

1. You agree to adopt a _______ ______________________,
    age_____ ,color______ , with the call name of _________________ .

2. You agree to donate the non-refundable sum of ____________________ dollars to _______________________. for the above mentioned animal. This donation covers the costs of fecal test/worming, general exam, up to date vaccinations, spaying/neutering, and the first dose of Heartworm and flea/tick preventative.

3. ______________________are typically affectionate and friendly, and Rescue will not place a dog known to have an unsound temperament. However, no one can predict how any dog will react in any given situation, especially without complete knowledge of its life experiences. Therefore, adoptive owners are strongly urged to exercise prudence and caution in introducing an adoptive dog into a new situation until the ____________________ has become fully adjusted to its new environment and the adoptive owner has had an opportunity to become familiar with that ______________unique personality.

4. ____________________ must never be allowed to run loose. It should always carry identifying tags or be tattooed with an identifying name or number, or have a microchip implant. It is a requirement that the dog is kept as a house dog in close companionship with their families. They are also to be kept in a home where they will be sleeping in the home and not left outdoors at night.

5. Adoptive owners must be prepared to demonstrate their ability and willingness to provide proper food, water, shelter, vaccinations, medical care, and a loving, safe, healthy and clean environment for the adoptive dog. You also agree to provide protection against Heartworm Disease by using Heartgard or any other product recommended by your veterinarian to prevent this disease and to provide protection from fleas and ticks in the form of a preventative such as Frontline or Advantage.
    Even if the dog has already had a basic obedience course, we REQUIRE a basic obedience course to establish respect and a close rapport more rapidly between dog and owner. Always be sure that the trainer is familiar with positive training techniques.

6. The ownership and responsibility for the adopted _________________ belongs solely to the adoptive owners. However, if for some valid reason, the adoption does not work to the advantage of the new owner and the dog, _________________________ must be contacted and given the option of reacquiring the ______________________ before any further placement. The adoptive owner shall not transfer ownership of the ____________ unless ___________________________. elects not to exercise this option with 14 days.

7.Each prospective adoptive home will be visited by a ______________________. member or an approved individual or organization to evaluate its qualifications as an adoptive home.

8. Adopter acknowledges that the dog they are adopting is a DOG, and as such may be driven to chase and possibly injure or kill small animals due to the possibility of a high prey drive. We do not make any guarantees on the safety of any animals in the adoptive home or anywhere else. We recommend that the adoptive dog be separated from any other animals when not under direct supervision.

9. _________________________ makes no representations or warranties regarding the temperament or physical condition of any adoptive dog. All warranties, including implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, where they are applicable, are hereby specifically disclaimed.

10. Adopter agrees to keep the dogís license current and comply with any other canine regulations in effect within their township.

11. I agree to allow an agent of _____________________. to remove the animal from any premises occupied by me without further process if we determine that the dog is not being properly cared for. Entry shall be by license and shall not constitute a tresp$#@!.

12. You agree that said animal will not be used for any illegal purpose and never be fought in any way. You also certify that you do not live in an area where __________________ are banned.

13. ___________________________. reserves the right to examine and check on the welfare of the above described animal at any time either by phone or in person. This inquiry will be done by an agent of our organization or by dispatching an approved organization or individual on our behalf. If we are not satisfied with the condition of the dog or the conditions in which it is kept, said dog can or may be removed immediately and placed in a different home. Any veterinary services due to negligence or lack of care, will be the adopters responsibility.

14. ___________________________ requires a yearly update on any dog adopted through our organization along with a recent picture of said dog. This may be done via email or regular mail. Our email address is_______________ Our address is: __________________. If there is any change in this contact information you will be notified. You are also required to notify us within 10 days of any change of address or phone number.

15. This breed has suffered tremendous exploitation and discrimination due to improper handling and irresponsible ownership. In preventing any further damage to the breedís reputation, you agree to have your dog on lead at all times when in public and refrain from exercising said animal in a dog park or any other setting where the dog would be off lead and subject to the possibility of an altercation with another animal or person. Even if your dog is not the one to blame, chances are that he will be blamed due to the negative perception of the breed. Therefore, you must take every precaution to protect your dog from such occurrences.

16. ______________________. makes no guarantees or warranties regarding the health or temperment of this dog. _____________________ shall not be responsible for any bodily injuries or property damage caused by any adopted dog or by the actions of its adoptive owners. The adoptive owner hereby specifically $#@!umes sole responsibility for, and agrees to hold __________________. harmless from, any and all loss and expenses (including legal fees) by reason of liability imposed by law upon ____________________, or any of itís officers and members because of bodily injuries or death to any person or persons including the adoptive owners, or any damage to property arising out of or in consequence of the placement of the _________________ howsoever such injuries, death or damage to property may be caused, whether or not the same may have been caused, or may be alleged to have been accused, by negligence of the aforementioned parties or any of their employees, agents or members, or any other person. This Release of Liability and Indemnification shall apply to all known, unknown and unanticipated damages resulting from my/our adoption, ownership or control of said animal.

I understand this is a binding contract enforceable by civil law and understand the terms and conditions set forth above. I have read the preceding and agree to the conditions set forth this ______day of_____, 20__.

_____________________ __________________________
    Signature of Adopter Phone Number

___________________________________ ______________________________________
    Address City, State, ZIP Code

Witnessed:

_____________________ Rescue Member

Contract
    Adopter's Name:_____________________________________ Address:_______________________________ City:_________________________ State:________ Zip:____________ Phone:_________________________ Email:_____________________________ ID:______________________________

It is accepted that on this _______ day of ___________________________ the above named person(s) adopt from ____________________________________ a canine described as follows:

Breed:____________________________ Name:_____________________ Sex:_______________ Color:______________________ Age or DOB:__________________ Tattoo:_________________
    If reg., AKC [ ] or UKC [ ] #__________________ for the fee of $________ under the following terms and conditions:

The dog is spayed or neutered and has current vaccinations.

I/We hereby agree to care for this dog humanely (including providing adequate food, water, shelter, love and attention). Said dog shall be maintained in an adequate enclosed area or on leash at all times. Dog shall not be allowed to roam at will. I/We agree to have dog vaccinated annually with necessary innoculations (DHLP-P) and vaccinated against Rabies, as local ordinances require. I/We agree to provide essential veterinary care, as needed. If said dog becomes lost or stolen, I/We agree to notify ________________________ immediately.

I/We also agree not to sell, trade or dispose of this dog. If, at any time, I/We are unable or unwilling to care for this dog, I/We agree to contact and return said dog to ____________________________. The adoption fee will not be refunded after 10 days from adoption date. I/We also agree that _______________________________ will keep ______ of the adoption fee, if dog is returned within the 10 day period. I/We further agree that said dog shall not be used for medical or any other experimental purposes or sold or given to a pet store, supplier or wholesaler.

I/We agree that said dog will not be used for any illegal purposes and will NEVER be fought in any way.
    If this clause is broken, I/We understand that the dog will be immediately confiscated by ______________________________ and all law enforcement agencies will be notified, as applicable.

I/We certify that we do not live in an area where "Pit Bulls" are banned.

I/We agree to notify _______________________________ within 10 days of any change of address or phone # (and vice versa). It is also understood that ________________________________ may examine and make inquiries about said dog at any time. If not satisfied with the condition of the dog or the conditions in which it is kept, said dog can or may be removed immediately and placed in a different home. Any veterinary services needed due to negligence or lack of care, will be the adopters responsibility and payable to ________________________________

I/We understand that ______________________________makes no guarantees or warranties regarding the health or temperament of this dog. I/We promise and agree to be solely responsible for this animal, and to indemnify and hold harmless ______________________________ from any and all claims of liability for the conduct of this animal on or after the date of this adoption. This Release of Liability and Indemnification shall apply to all known, unknown and unanticipated damages resulting from my/our adoption, ownership or control of such animal.

I/WE HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I/WE HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE ABOVE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND WILL KEEP THE DOG DESCRIBED HEREIN AS A FAMILY MEMBER. I/WE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS A BINDING CONTRACT ENFORCEABLE BY CIVIL LAW.

__________________________________________________ _________ Date:____________________

Have an attorney look it over, just to be on the safe side. Loopholes and typos will come back and bite you on the $#@! every time =)
    Also, BSL doesn't always come in the form of bans. Your prospective adopters need to know if there are any restrictions on the breed as well. IE, muzzles, short leashes, 6 sided dog pens, or what have you.
    There are tons of county shelters with down loadable forms on their web sites. Brows a few over and see if anything jumps out at you that you would like to add.

Rock on, mama! :D

thanks Galadriel, this stuff is just samples for those who need them, its up to the individual to get an attorney to check them out. just figured i would post them..

lol. You are a posting fool today! :D Your keyboard must be smoking!

i am bored at work.... i figured i would do as much posting as i can before i have to actually do my job today LOL

Thanks for posting this ME! I always mean to post PNWPBR's forms but I always forget!

no problem:)