Thread: hard poop?

hard poop?

Has anyone's dog had really hard poop? Woot's poo for the past 2 days has been really hard and coming out in pods with a beige color. Her poo is normally dark brown and comes out in one attached piece.

She has also been pooing more then normal. other then that she is eating and drinking fine and is acting normal

I gave her a bone yesterday could that cause it?

2. A raw bone would harden the poop and it can get a beige to almost white color.

I feed raw bones, but either it's a small piece (the butcher cuts it) or I would take it away after my dog ate the portion that I think she can digest well.

Images
    I would suggest adding just a little vegetable oil to her kibble, it might help soften her stool. I'm sure others will have better advice. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    A raw bone would harden the poop and it can get a beige to almost white color.

I feed raw bones, but either it's a small piece (the butcher cuts it) or I would take it away after my dog ate the portion that I think she can digest well.

yep the beige to almost white sounds bout right lol. I have put it up for now. So her stomach can take a rest lol

5. It only takes 1 or 2 days .... and it's not dangerous .... :)

You can try giving her a little canned pumpkin (not the pie filling...just pumpkin) and that should help soften it up a bit...also its good for poo being a little soft too. I like to keep a can on hand just in case. :)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firedrake13 View Post
    You can try giving her a little canned pumpkin (not the pie filling...just pumpkin) and that should help soften it up a bit...also its good for poo being a little soft too. I like to keep a can on hand just in case. :)
    I agree that would be a good home remedy to try; we always have a couple of cans on hand.

Its probably the bone. Those who feed raw can attest that their dogs stools are harder and chalky at times.

9. I feed raw and this is normal when feeding lots of bone. This is a sign you have to much bone in the diet and need to add more meat. While canned pumpkin will help soften hard stool and firm up soft stool, I would be more concerned with feeding to much bone on a consistent basis. This can lead to a calcium/phosphorous imbalance over time. I would recommend feeding meaty bones instead of just straight bones so this Calcium/Phosphorous balance is not an issue.

Gotta add the slippery elm bark suggestion of course! lol My pumpkin alternative since Venus was allergic to pumpkin. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    Gotta add the slippery elm bark suggestion of course! lol My pumpkin alternative since Venus was allergic to pumpkin. ;)
    Oooh...I didn't know that one!! Thanks I'll keep that in mind too. :)

well her poo is back to normal :)

Quote Originally Posted by firedrake13 View Post
    Oooh...I didn't know that one!! Thanks I'll keep that in mind too. :)
    Urban Carnivore sells it but you can also just by it in a health food store.

http://www.urbancarnivore.com/uc_onl...?Product_ID=18

This stuff rocks. I've even used it on Daemon when he wasn't feeling well and it worked like a charm. I can't use it on Raven though with the CF. When Marz had bone cancer, she was having some issues with intestinal bleeding and constipation from some meds and this really helped her out.

I would mention this when you go see the vet.... it may or may not be related to your current situation.