1. Overactive/hyperactive Pitbull

hey, i have a 1 year old 72 pound male pit bull named JAXX his father is a blue nose and the mother a red nose. Now i know that these dogs are athletes and are bread to work for there master. but my pit literally has non stop energy. I take him milling about 2-3 times a week and when im there he does 2 10mintues session. i also take him to the park play with him in the yard walk him and now have started roller-blading while having the dog running next to me. After any of these for mentioned activities he usually tires out for a little then goes right back to running around wanting to play. Besides that he also gets EXTREMLY hyper when ppl come over and he cant controll jumping all over them. the werid thing about this is that he does not do that to me when i come home. now ime not sure if i may need to change his dite or what but something needs to be done

ANY SUGGUESTIONS OR TIPS AS TO WHAT I CAN DO ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED
    Last edited by baha312; 10-08-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Obedience training.

Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    Obedience training.
    Yup, along with more excercise. Have you tried doing any spring pole, flirt pole, etc...with him to add to what he's already getting?

How much exercise is he getting daily?

5. well for example today i took him for a mile and a half run around 11AM then my mom played fetch with him around 130pm then he started getting hyper again around 630 so i took him for another mile run and as soon as we got back he was hyper again

same thing with my dog apollo. He is 15 months old. Non stop energy. I will play with him pretty much non stop when im home and he may rest for about an hour then go right back to playing. I throw his kong ball out in the yard and he will run around with it in his mouth probably all day if i wouldnt get it from him so he can get a drink of water and cool down inside.

Images
    APBTs are slow to mature. It is my understanding is that - generally - it takes longer than for other types of dogs - usually, you can expect to see calmer tendencies at about age three.

I found this to be accurate with our Madeleine, who was a non-stop, go-go girl until about that age. At almost age 8, she still has a high energy level.

Obedience training is definitely a good idea; often, it's not just a matter of tiring the dog out physically, but also mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    Obedience training.

I wish more owners would commit to taking their dogs to obedience cl$#@!! Teaching your dog is so rewarding and the possibilities are endless.

Exercise is vital, but so is the need to balance it with the other end of the spectrum which is conditioned relaxation. Both conditions create their own chemical state in the brain, and both can be addictive. It is possible to teach conditioned relaxation and to then have not only the ability to cue it, but for the dog to choose to use it.

Julie K

9. My Pit/Beagle, Rook, was a stray before I got him and he can and will go eight miles with no problem. He lives to run and hunt and eith out that he becomes very unhappy. We (my pack) walk 30 min a day. Plus Rook gets 2 bike runs a week, going 4-6 miles. He loves every minute of it!!
    Along with that he is my huntin' dog! :)

a mile run is a warm up for Dooley and he is 6 mo. :) I do 30 min fast pace walk twice a day before meals. In the afternoon we do 15 minutes tug or fetch after his meal. Then some training like "take it", "leave it", "high five", "enough"...., nice, good, fun things. After the 15 minutes of tug/fetch he is done. A couple of hours later he wants more but if I am not interested he just sits there. 9:30 pm is sleeping in crate time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeleinemom View Post
    APBTs are slow to mature. It is my understanding is that - generally - it takes longer than for other types of dogs - usually, you can expect to see calmer tendencies at about age three.

I found this to be accurate with our Madeleine, who was a non-stop, go-go girl until about that age. At almost age 8, she still has a high energy level.

Obedience training is definitely a good idea; often, it's not just a matter of tiring the dog out physically, but also mentally.
    My sister's two pit bulls were exactly like that, high energy till they hit three years old and they finally started to calm down. No matter how much exercise they got they were always bouncing off the walls as puppies. I also agree that mentally stimulating exercise like agility would help a great deal.

12. Quote Originally Posted by deathpriest View Post
    a mile run is a warm up for Dooley and he is 6 mo. :) I do 30 min fast pace walk twice a day before meals. In the afternoon we do 15 minutes tug or fetch after his meal. Then some training like "take it", "leave it", "high five", "enough"...., nice, good, fun things. After the 15 minutes of tug/fetch he is done. A couple of hours later he wants more but if I am not interested he just sits there. 9:30 pm is sleeping in crate time.
    NICE!!!