Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hog dogs.

1. Oh okay, he confused me with the pen. I thought he meant the sport of putting a dog and hog in a pen together, which like I said before I believe is illegal in NC.
    Yeah that is where he lost me too.....and yes it is illegal in NC and many other states as should be, but I see nothing wrong with using your dog for hunting or farming....

2. Quote Originally Posted by screamin'eagle View Post
    I agree...
    and here's a good picture of what a catch dog doing his job looks like

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e.../untitledf.jpg

I agree coming this new year I'll be taking my girls to catch me some hogs...I'll post them here if people think its cruel don't open the thread then...
    But to me its not only amazing but intelligent. And its a natural process CIRCLE OF LIFE...
    that's how things work..that's why is very crucial we do not allow groups like PETA to take that away from us not letting us hunt..cause not hunting will make a tramatic effect on the environment in general and for the worse and PETA does not understand that...
    I have some good videos of my friends catching some hogs in brazil...should i post them or would it traumatize some of you guys???

3. I would love to see the video personally.

My Dad's friend's son showed me a video of hog hunting. A bunch of them thought it was cruel. I thought it was awesome. They said to me, "I thought you were an animal lover." I said that I was, but didn't see anything wrong in the way they were hunting. The funny thing that guy has a coonhound who he hunts. I don't see why he thinks one is fine and the other is cruel.

post the videos up!! it's about time some of these people on here are reminded what these dogs are bred for and were the dogs they own come from!! for god's sake put the video's up on here.

to many people have been breeding the game out of them or breeding ha into them to long now. it's time to see a true apbt in action. nothing is prettier than a working dog doing it. the speed and grace they have is amazing!!!

5. I have a male that is from FL that was raised hog hunting. I've not had the chance to hunt with him here, but he has taken on some real nice hogs. I don't have a problem with hog hunting, as long as its fair...the pen hunting is kinda onesided. It would be like deer hunting in a barn. Wheres the fun and exictment in catching something thats already caught? Plus...the meat is great!

Here are some pics of my hog boy
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com...&dog_id=262005

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    anybody on here using the apbt as a hog pen dog? do they go off of command? afriend of mine trains his off commands.a friend of mine took his out the last year and they retired it on the first hog!! it hit the hog at full speed, clamped onto it's neck and killed it. when he called it off he stopped right then and came back to him and sit down by his side.

i know they are just suposed to put the hog down and pen it. they had been training this one and on his first hog i think he got to excited and went to far. i've been thinking about this for awhile. these dogs are game dogs and are great at penning hogs.
    Ummm.......this is what we call "backwoods hog dogging" and is the reason why we can no longer legally train our dogs for hog hunting in the state of Louisiana.

And the only time I've ever hear of a big, bad vicious pit bull killing a hog in one bite is when that hog was in fact nothing more than a 10 lb baby farm piglet.

May I kindly ask the truth behind this story? Or what in the hell kind of defenseless farm pig was the butt of this story?

I've been hog hunting with dogs since 1996. I've been training catch dogs since about 2000. Although we use some APBTs, the vast majority are just too DA to use in packs of dogs. Most of our catchdogs are American Bulldogs and Catahoula Bulldogs.

The truth is, a catchdog's job is to do just that....catch the hog and hold it until the human can come in and kill the hog with a knife. Even a 90 lb Javolina is going to give a good catchdog one helluva run for it's money. Hogs aren't nice and they fight. Plus, they have nice lil tusks that can rip a dog's stomach open in less than 2 seconds.

As for hogdog rodeos, I've been to a few legitamate ones and it's like going to a rodeo. The purpose of the catch & release is too show off your dog's speed and catch/hold ability. It was a contest to show off one dog's baying/catching skills. It's usually over in less than 6 seconds and there is very little blood involved to the hog used. And all the hogs used are caught feral hogs. Defenseless farm pigs are NOT used.

However, those are now illegal thanks to a bunch of backwoods rednecks letting a bunch of dogs loose on farmpigs and watching the dogs maul the pig while they sit around drunk as skunks laughing their pathetic $#@!es off.

And in fact, in the state of Louisiana, it's illegal to have catchdogs, a pen, and hogs all on the same property. So instead you're supposed to let your dogs get butchered when you just start 'em by turning them loose in the woods with no training. And no, my dogs will not "out" willingly when they've got a hog in their grasp. It takes a breakstick to get my dogs off.
    Last edited by Miakoda; 10-03-2008 at 03:09 PM.

can you read or not. that was the first and last time he used that dog. we know it wasn't suposed to kill the hog. it wasn't a farm raised hog. it was a wild hog. i know to well about how hogs are armed. i think you have gotten all excited about nothing. much like alot of people on here. i understand why i don't look at this sight much anymore. most people on here have no ideal what kind of dogs they have and what they are bred for. i believe most have them to say," look at what i own!!". this sight makes me sick most of the time anyway. full of wishy washy people who know nothing about the breed.

8. can you read or not. that was the first and last time he used that dog. we know it wasn't suposed to kill the hog. it wasn't a farm raised hog. it was a wild hog. i know to well about how hogs are armed. i think you have gotten all excited about nothing. much like alot of people on here. i understand why i don't look at this sight much anymore. most people on here have no ideal what kind of dogs they have and what they are bred for. i believe most have them to say," look at what i own!!". this sight makes me sick most of the time anyway. full of wishy washy people who know nothing about the breed.
    Wow such hate filled words What the hell is going on here on the forum?

Let me tell you something Gonzo, you are wrong to say that the people here are wishy washy and know nothing about the breed just because someone does not agree with you. That my friend is absurd and I for one and sick of the hate filled comments that are going on...

Miakoda, was in no way rude to you, he asked a few questions. If the site makes you sick then why don't you find another site that 100% agrees with you. There is no such site trust me.

Geeeessss is everyone PMSing :D

Quote Originally Posted by CelticKarma View Post
    Miakoda, was in no way rude to you, he asked a few questions. If the site makes you sick then why don't you find another site that 100% agrees with you. There is no such site trust me.
    LMAO...Miakoda is definately a she. Atleast I think so because she's birthed to little boys. I know you probably didn't know but that just struck me as funny.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    can you read or not. that was the first and last time he used that dog. we know it wasn't suposed to kill the hog. it wasn't a farm raised hog. it was a wild hog. i know to well about how hogs are armed. i think you have gotten all excited about nothing. much like alot of people on here. i understand why i don't look at this sight much anymore. most people on here have no ideal what kind of dogs they have and what they are bred for. i believe most have them to say," look at what i own!!". this sight makes me sick most of the time anyway. full of wishy washy people who know nothing about the breed.
    I don't think that a bull dog can break a boar hogs neck by slamming into it either...that's why I wrote that it surely wouldn't have happened to a wild boar hog in my initial post.

10. LMAO...Miakoda is definately a she. Atleast I think so because she's birthed to little boys. I know you probably didn't know but that just struck me as funny.

O wow I am so sorry, please please forgive me. :o

It's a-ok, Celtic. ;)

And gonzo, just because someone questions you doesn't mean that the site is now "$#@!" and you must turn to other places. You can only learn and grow as long as you are willing and when you refuse education then you stop learning and you stop growing. But it's all your choice.

I've been schooled plenty of times, but I'm not too proud to run away and not come back and face the music.

And you made me laugh out loud by accusing me of "not knowing what kind of dogs I own" because I can promise you I know what I've got better than you'll ever know. And I know damn well what they were bred for and what they can do. That's one thing I'll never need you to educate me on.

12. Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    nope. marvins dog missed the ear by a large bit and cuaght the hog by the neck. the dog was at a full dead run and hit it broadside in the neck. he rolled he hog. the hogs neck was broken. it happened. there was just 4 of us there to see it.

Im calling $#@! on this. Were you expecting us to believe you? Or say wow now thats bad $#@!? Go elsewhere for a fanclub.

The dog is supposed to hold the animal. Bulldogs excel because of their tenacity, fearlessness, and drive. I would absolutely love to try hog hunting, but I'm too far north.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    It's a bit much isn't it? We order organic meat so at least we know the meat we eat was treated reasonabley well during it's life. I'd feel much better about eating an animal that was hunted than the factory farmed tortured crap.
    You think the label "organic" means that your bacon was treated "reasonably well"? Look into that a bit further.

Actually .. killing a hog with using a dog is more "organic" in its truest form than introducing a foreign body into the animal like a lead bullet or captive bolt/electricity. Besides that a catch dog DOES NOT kill the hog.

Cool pic SE.

the cycle of life.

I think if they are hog hunting for the right reasons (ex. reduce the populatio) then okay then do it, but if they are doing it for a sport of just to pen up a poor pig for the fun of it it is wrong.

BUT we were not there as far as the dog "breaking" its neck so we dont for sure what truly happened

Excellent post Miakoda. Thanks to some backwoods rednecks, the controlled training of hog dogs as well as hog dog catch competitions are now illegal in 5 states (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas & North Carolina if I recall right) & they're pushing for more.

A few bad apples can ruin the whole darn bunch. :(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12