Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hog dogs.

hog dogs.

anybody on here using the apbt as a hog pen dog? do they go off of command? afriend of mine trains his off commands.a friend of mine took his out the last year and they retired it on the first hog!! it hit the hog at full speed, clamped onto it's neck and killed it. when he called it off he stopped right then and came back to him and sit down by his side.

i know they are just suposed to put the hog down and pen it. they had been training this one and on his first hog i think he got to excited and went to far. i've been thinking about this for awhile. these dogs are game dogs and are great at penning hogs.

I think pen hogging is illegal in NC.

I would love to try hog hunting with my dogs though, but haven't had the opportunity, and would want to make sure I went with someone who know what they were doing.

3. I am sorry I can not condone cruel attacks on any animal even a hog. What is the purpose of training them to do this? Poor hog......:(

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    anybody on here using the apbt as a hog pen dog? do they go off of command? afriend of mine trains his off commands.a friend of mine took his out the last year and they retired it on the first hog!! it hit the hog at full speed, clamped onto it's neck and killed it. when he called it off he stopped right then and came back to him and sit down by his side.
    Has this dog been started on boar? Of course...the situation you described would not have happened against a wild boar hog or sow for that matter. I hope that you are not talking about poorly ran hog dog rodeos and are referring to starting a dog for hunting or a ranch working dog...

Quote Originally Posted by CelticKarma View Post
    I am sorry I can not condone cruel attacks on any animal even a hog. What is the purpose of training them to do this? Poor hog......:(
    the purpose is to allow the farmer/rancher/to be able to move the hogs be it to slaughter or whatever. You ever see one of those greased pig chases on a bloopers reel? It can be difficult for a human to handle a hog and so dogs perform that function. That's why bulldogs were bred to be bulldogs. In bull running (their first function), for example, a rancher or butcher raised semi wild cattle or hogs for beef and pork. He could not very well catch or move them so...bulldog is bred to catch and hold these animals. This was the precursor to bull baiting by the way. These insticts are ingrained in the American Pit Bull Terrier...

I suppose its cruel in some eyes, but I don't say poor hog (or cow) when Im eating sausage, ham, and hamburgers...

Quote Originally Posted by screamin'eagle View Post
    I suppose its cruel in some eyes, but I don't say poor hog (or cow) when Im eating sausage, ham, and hamburgers...
    LOL No doubt. If people really knew what went on with animals used for meat, hog catching would look like sweat love in comparison.

6. the purpose is to allow the farmer/rancher/to be able to move the hogs be it to slaughter or whatever. You ever see one of those greased pig chases on a bloopers reel? It can be difficult for a human to handle a hog and so dogs perform that function. That's why bulldogs were bred to be bulldogs. In bull running (their first function), for example, a rancher or butcher raised semi wild cattle or hogs for beef and pork. He could not very well catch or move them so...bulldog is bred to catch and hold these animals. This was the precursor to bull baiting by the way. These insticts are ingrained in the American Pit Bull Terrier...

am aware of the process and I guess if one owned a farm and did not own a gun to kill their meat I could see it, but to take a hog and turn him lose in a pin to just have a Pit Bull take him down just for the sport of it is cruel to me and is no better then dog fighting IMO

Don't get me wrong, I am a meat eater and I will go hunt a deer for meat if I had too. Lived on a farm almost all my life, but I could never use a dog to take down another animal. It would be a slow painful death for the hog and I would run the risk of getting my dog hurt in the process, that is absurd to me but that is just my opinion.

I understand using dogs to run cows or whatever, but Genzo said the dog killed the hog, to me this is just cruel. I have been to many slaughter houses both hogs and cattle and todays farmers use electric probes to run the animal in the shoot, once ready for kill it if done right is quick, and I know it is not always done right, but to have a Pit Bull hanging from your neck why you bleed to death is in my opinion cruel.

I guess I could see it if the dog was not being used to kill the hog.

Gonzo....Does your friend own a hog farm? What is his purpose for training his dogs to do this?

7. but I don't say poor hog
    O I can, I am women hear me boohooo I cried when our snake died

they used them alot in hunting wild hogs. they also like said use them on the farm. the dog hit a 220 pound hog and broke it's neck like a chicken!! most of the ones he has that have been trained get the hog by the ear at full speed and take them down. i was thinking about it this morning. he has invited me down to hog hunt again.

the hog it killed was a wild hog. not the biggest we've seen, but of desent size.
    to say boo ho is wrong. these hogs get over populated and destroy alot of ground. remember these dogs are breed to be game dogs, not lap dogs. the lap dog part has come about from people breeding the game out of them. to me that is like breeding coon dogs to sit in your lap. as a matter of fact my grandfather used to use aptb's as coon dogs years ago. got a picture of one that was a chamopion coon on the log dog.

I remember reading a while back on this topic when people got into the debate about penned hogs vs. wild hogs. One thing that was brought up is that they sometimes will used penned hogs to train the dogs to work in the wild as if they didn't do this, the dog could go out on a hunt and get hurt. Made sense to me, although I'm a city girl with zero experience. I get my meat from the store! lol

The dog's job is actually to HOLD the hog until the hunter gets there to dispatch of it. It's pin...as in hold, like the wresting move pin, not PEN, as turning the dogs loose on a hog in a containment area. I think this created a little confusion. I believe the correct term is Catch dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
    The dog's job is actually to HOLD the hog until the hunter gets there to dispatch of it. It's pin...as in hold, like the wresting move pin, not PEN, as turning the dogs loose on a hog in a containment area. I think this created a little confusion. I believe the correct term is Catch dog.
    correct. that is what he does with his. the dog doesn't kill the hog. it just pins it till he gets there. all he has to do is call it them off(he just uses one at a time to pin the hogs) and they return to him. it's a true joy to watch these dogs work like they are bred to. some people will never see them in action and it is a pitty. they are as smooth and fast as anything you could see. a true testament of what they are bred for. also a true test of a dog as a whole.

12. I see nothing unethical, cruel or wrong with using dogs for hog hunting. They are working dogs, and need to work. The only thing I would disagree with is if they didnt use what they have killed. Hog hunting is a good outlet for these dogs also it helps with population control. What is the point of having a greyhound if you are gonna keep it in a kennel all the time? See what im saying? Thanks to the fighters, and hunters of old we still have this amazing dog in true form, and not as a shell of its former self like most other dogs. These are the ones that are preserving the dog in true form. Might wanna thank them for the dog you have today.
    This story seems a little outlandish to me though anyone that has been to a real hog hunt would know that this just aint how it goes. A wild hogs neck doesnt just snap like a twig i dont care if a lion bites it these are tough animals to say the least and noones punk a big boar can gut a dog. This just doesnt sound like a real life situation to me. I might be wrong but I highly doubt it. Something smells fishy to me....

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    correct. that is what he does with his. the dog doesn't kill the hog. it just pins it till he gets there. all he has to do is call it them off(he just uses one at a time to pin the hogs) and they return to him. it's a true joy to watch these dogs work like they are bred to. some people will never see them in action and it is a pitty. they are as smooth and fast as anything you could see. a true testament of what they are bred for. also a true test of a dog as a whole.
    I agree...
    and here's a good picture of what a catch dog doing his job looks like

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e.../untitledf.jpg
    Last edited by screamin'eagle; 10-02-2008 at 06:42 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    LOL No doubt. If people really knew what went on with animals used for meat, hog catching would look like sweat love in comparison.
    ain't that the truth, have you ever seen that "meet your meat" video on youtube, it's awful how they treat those animals.

I agree, a hogs neck isn't just going to snap like a chicken bone....
    I don't have a problem with hog hunting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kris2642 View Post
    ain't that the truth, have you ever seen that "meet your meat" video on youtube, it's awful how they treat those animals.
    It's a bit much isn't it? We order organic meat so at least we know the meat we eat was treated reasonabley well during it's life. I'd feel much better about eating an animal that was hunted than the factory farmed tortured crap.

17. O okay, I thought they were doing it like a sport, you know put the hog in a pin and allow the dog to rip it shreads.....Thanks for clearning it up....

18. to say boo ho is wrong.
    BoooHoooo is a term used to mean "cry" I was saying because I was women I would cry to see a hog put in a pin and allow a dog to rip it apart.

19. Oh okay, he confused me with the pen. I thought he meant the sport of putting a dog and hog in a pen together, which like I said before I believe is illegal in NC.

However, a catch dog, I wish I could bring my dogs on a hunt like that, or just go on one myself with someone else and their dogs. It's something that really interests me.

nope. marvins dog missed the ear by a large bit and cuaght the hog by the neck. the dog was at a full dead run and hit it broadside in the neck. he rolled he hog. the hogs neck was broken. it happened. there was just 4 of us there to see it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast