George Guest

Female in heat / Male whining

I am wondering about if there is a way to calm the male dog down.
    My female is in heat and my male just wont stop whining.
    Neither are fixed. I do however keep them apart when i am not around.
    But he just sits there staring at her whining. I only have like a week and a half left with her heat. But he seems to be getting worse.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

P.S. I can only give him so much stuffing for the kongs in a day.

Images
    Kinda like making a man sit and watch a beautiful, naked lady prance around in front of him, but telling him not to look, touch, think... lol

I don't know what you can do, maybe seperate them into different rooms? I've heard a male can smell a female in heat from 3 miles away... but I had all mine spayed/neutered before or right at 1 yr old. Good luck!

Know anyone who could take care of him for the week and a half?

George Guest
    Nope I wish. No one I trust enough with my dog anyway. I know it has to be driving him nuts. I thought about spraying the room with vinegar water. To try and kill the scent he is picking up. Not sure if it will help or not. But hey that's was the old way of making $#@!. lol

LOL.

I wish I had some advice for you. We have a barn our females go in, and our males don't seem to notice.

The only way to get him to settle down would be to neuter him or work the mess out of him. And the latter will only work for a while. Thank your lucky stars it's just whining. Our boy has always whined a bit, but it turned into a full-on tantrum when Terra came in heat the first time.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/9E3C8...ldepriest.aspx

George Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamutt99 View Post
    The only way to get him to settle down would be to neuter him or work the mess out of him. And the latter will only work for a while. Thank your lucky stars it's just whining. Our boy has always whined a bit, but it turned into a full-on tantrum when Terra came in heat the first time.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/9E3C8...ldepriest.aspx
    That is pretty much my Oreo all day long. He is finally sleeping.

Do cold showers work for dogs?

Is this anywhere near as bad as a cat in heat? I could only handle that for a couple days, and then I just said f--- it and paid the extra $25 to have her fixed during the cycle.

Sorry George, but your stuck. Like Baha said, you can work him until he drops, but in the long run it's not really going to make that much of a difference.

A male dog can smell a female in heat a mile away and they also can differentiate the different stages of the heat/estrus cycle. He might be getting worse because he knows that the time is NOW for him to mate and for this bitch to carry on his genes to the next generation. Instinctual drives are very powerful.

Just keep them separated at ALL times! You stated they are only apart when you are not around, but when you've got a bitch in heat, NO male needs to be loose with her unless you want a litter of puppies. Both dogs will be so quick in their actions that there won't anything for you do to except sit & watch until the process is over. And that's if it goes ok. If your males jumps your female, there's always a chance she'll tear into his $#@! & then you've got a real mess on your hands......bitches in heat are, well, bitches.

George Guest
    Yeah she bites him on the nose. If I leave the room for even a second he goes in the kennel. I am into a movie he is in the kennel. I don't want any pups neither are worthy of mating. The dogs them self's are great just not worthy of breeding. Neither of them have any titles as of yet. Sad thing is they have great temperaments and what not but I cant register either of them. =[ So they will both be getting fixed and joining the UKC LP program. If I could get ahold of Reeses sires information I could get her papered. But he moved to NC somewhere don't know where. =[
    Last edited by George; 09-12-2008 at 02:59 PM.