Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What size crate do you use for your pup?

Hi, I need to get a new crate for Apollo because he has outgrown the one the has now. Thing is, I don't want to go to Petco and get one for 120. Walmart has huge ones for cheap, but are the largest ones necessary? Anyone know dimensions of a crate that would suit a full sized APBT? Thanks.

If you get a large crate, be sure you get one with a divider you can take out when he grows a little more. He only needs enough room to stand up, turn around, any lay in comfortably. Any more than that will lead to destruction and to him messing his crate.

He is really good in his crate. Hasn't had an accident in it in more than a month. He is 4 months old now and he doesn't even go in the house. He goes to the door and sits or jumps at it. He got house trained very quickly. So that being said do you still think he should only have enough room to turn around?

Yes. Even though he's housebroken, he will go in his crate if he's bored or knows there isn't anyone around to let him out. Also, the more room they have, the more leverage they have. Bulldogs excel at breaking crates =)
    Mine was in a crate just a little too big for her and was able to pull the tray up out of the bottom and break it in half. I also had to wire all the ends closed because she would stretch out and push at the corners until they would bend enough for her to squeeze out. And several people here have had dogs demolish their crates.
    Our dogs don't mess around :D

Oh wow haha Well I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
    Yes. Even though he's housebroken, he will go in his crate if he's bored or knows there isn't anyone around to let him out. Also, the more room they have, the more leverage they have. Bulldogs excel at breaking crates =)
    Mine was in a crate just a little too big for her and was able to pull the tray up out of the bottom and break it in half. I also had to wire all the ends closed because she would stretch out and push at the corners until they would bend enough for her to squeeze out. And several people here have had dogs demolish their crates.
    Our dogs don't mess around :D

My sister has a Boxer that did this exact same thing... and he's big enough that he just has enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down... Still demolished the crate.:D

Do you think a 42" crate would suffice for a full size APBT?

It depends entirely on how big he gets. How big are the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by roca04 View Post
    Do you think a 42" crate would suffice for a full size APBT?
    Thats the size I got for my girl, shes still a pup tho, and has more than enough room. I'm sure once shes full grown it will be perfect for her. (Her parents were 40-45lbs, I think she will be about the same size.)

Be sure to check Craigslist if you don't want to pay full price - everyone in my family who has gotten a dog recently has bought their crates on craigslist (among other accessories) for much less than in stores.

I'm picking one up today, myself - brand new in the box for $40 and the same crate is $60 in stores.

Yea nothing in my area on craigslist. But I did find a 42" on ebay for 55.

be sure to search for "kennel" under all items for sale - that's how i found mine. people give them all different names and list them under all different things. but i know some areas aren't as heavy on craigslist as others. when i lived in arkansas i rarely found anything i was looking for but now that i live back in milwaukee i can find an abundance.

Images
    My only suggestion is that if you get a metal crate. Use some sort of tie to tie the tops and the sides together. Sophie was so smart the she figured out a way to disasemble the top from the side of the crate and jumped out. This is a smart breed which is one reason we all love them, but I have learned that I always have to stay one up on my baby. plus she knows she is smart so when we hit terrible two's she was alwasy trying to see how sneeky she could be or what she could get away with.

This breed is awesome

14. hey I believe that a 36" crate is the correct size for a pitbull. I just got mine off of ebay from seller name valuecrate and I paid 54 with shipping and it arrived the next day. Good luck :):)

Daisy's crate is 36 inches...we got hers at Tractor Supply for like $70 on sale....she is 10 months old now and has plenty of room in there still. It also came with the divider thing, but we have never used it

I've got a wire 36" Midwest crate with two doors. It was $60 from Amazon with free shipping. It's a nice crate and the divider was really useful!

yeah I got my crate at Walmart, I cant remember how much I paid I want to say somewhere between $60-$80. It's 36"L x 28"H. If you go to walmart on the side of the crates is has sizes S-XL, this one is the large and it also lists types of breeds that would best fit in that crate. The large size lists retriever, samoyed, setter, afgan, husky.... so I thinks thats best for most "pit bull" breeds.

I use the 36" one for Lily. She's about 50lbs. Got it at Petco for $60. :)

I have two crates both of which are 27 1/2" (W) x 42" (L) x 30" (H)

make sure you get a 4-7 gauge crate meaning the thickness of the wire used to build the crate,so you wont have to buy another one once he gets strong enough to break out,trust me the cage i bought was big enough for two dogs but the cage can be pushed open with my dogs pushing there nose on the door.just a tip:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast