Thread: PA Dangerous Dog Law Summary
PA Dangerous Dog Law Summary
Pennsylvania Dangerous Dog Law Summary
Follow this link for the text of PA's Dangerous Dog Law.
Having a Dog Declared Dangerous
- Anyone who has been attacked by a dog, or anyone on behalf of such a person may make a complaint before a District Justice charging the owner with keeping a dangerous dog.
- Anyone who owns a domestic animal that has been severly injured by a dog while the dog was off its owner's property may also make a complaint before a District Justice charging the owner with keeping a dangerous dog.
- If the dog is used to commit a crime (i.e. protecting a drug dealer's stash), it may also be determined to be dangerous.
- The District Justice will consider police reports, eyewitness testimony and any other evidence to determine the dog to be dangerous.
- A proper enclosure to contain the dog. The enclosure must have secure sides and a top. Sides must extend 2 feet into the ground to prevent the dog from digging out.
- Carry a $50,000 bond payable to any person injured by the dangerous dog or a liability insurance policy for at least $50,000.
- Pay a fee of $25 per year to the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement to register the dangerous dog.
- Post uniform identifiable symbols around the property to indicate a dangerous dog is on the premises.
- The owner of a dangerous dog commits a third degree misdemeanor and the dog will be confiscated by the Police or a Dog Warden if:
- The dog is not validly registered.
- The owner does not carry the required insurance or bond
- The dog is not kept in a secure enclosure
- The dog is outside its enclosure or the owner's home unrestrained
- If a dangerous dog, through intentional, reckless or negligent conduct of its owner, attacks another person or domestic animal, the owner is guilty of a second degree misdemeanor, and the dog will be confiscated & destroyed.
- If a dangerous dog causes severe injury or death to any human, the owner is guilty of a first degree misdemeanor and the dog will be confiscated & destroyed.
http://home. paonline. com/pfdc/ DANGERS.HTM
By Save the pit bull in forum Dog BlogsReplies: 0Last Post: 06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
By Vicki in forum Dog Ordinances & LawsReplies: 0Last Post: 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
By Zoe in forum Pit Bull NewsReplies: 17Last Post: 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
By Melo in forum Breed Specific LegislationReplies: 0Last Post: 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM
By apbtmom76 in forum Breed Specific LegislationReplies: 0Last Post: 12-04-2008, 09:17 AM