Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ear cropping age?

What is the YOUNGEST an APBT should have their ears done at? What about the OLDEST?

Im asking because I just saw a VERY young pup with its ears already done. :(

When I was going to have JT's ears done (I ended up not doing it), the vet I was going to take him to only does ears 10 to 12 weeks I believe. He does not do any younger and does not do any older. I believe that it depends on the vet but don't quote me on anything.

From past experience, I think jeoestreich's time frame of 10-12 wks is about what my vet requires. Certainly no younger than 10 and 12 would be pushing the oldest. We have had some cropped in the past, but will not be doing that again. I've decided not to put any more of my pups through that.

I saw a thread with what looked to be a 6-7 wk old puppy with cropped ears. Sadly, there are still people out there that will crop their own puppy's ears when they are very small. It is illegal and horrible for the puppy. The puppy I saw most likely had their ears done by someone other than a vet. JMHO.

i believe with most reputable vets its 9-12 (sometimes pushing to 16) weeks, but I, also have seen pups of random "cropped" breeds at the petstores already cropped before (like Schnauzers, Min Pins, Boxers, and Dobes)

I think I've heard 8 weeks before, I could be lying, or it could be true and a bad vet from the sounds of it.

No later then 12 weeks from what I've read.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K9 Love View Post
    I think I've heard 8 weeks before, I could be lying, or it could be true and a bad vet from the sounds of it.

No later then 12 weeks from what I've read.
    The vet I worked for in Atlanta cropped between 12-16 weeks. And it also depends on the Vet. I know of a Vet in Macon, GA that will do them at any age. Also the Vet I worked for would have done my Mike's ears for me. And he was 1 1/2. It boils down to the Vet.

10-14 weeks with a possible extension to 16 weeks (depending on the individual dog's forming earset). BUT the pup MUST have at least 2 vaccinations beforehand (so 6 and 9/10 week vaccines).

That's what is standard by the vet that does the ear crops at our clinic. But once he retires, there are none to do them.....and no vet wants to take over that role.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    10-14 weeks with a possible extension to 16 weeks (depending on the individual dog's forming earset). BUT the pup MUST have at least 2 vaccinations beforehand (so 6 and 9/10 week vaccines).

That's what is standard by the vet that does the ear crops at our clinic. But once he retires, there are none to do them.....and no vet wants to take over that role.
    And that is understandable. I HATE $#@!isting on ear crop surgery. And not to mention that owner complience. Most Vets I have known hate doing ear crops because if the owner does not follow through with aftercare soemtimes the dog's ears will not turn out right. And then they blame the Vet.

And it also depends on the breed. Like Boxers and Dobies have long cuts. And those take more aftercare than "pit bulls".

Images
    8 - 12 weeks is what we used to do at the last place I worked. When the ears are softer (8 weeks) the surgery goes faster since it's easier to suture. So less anesthesia time for the pup.

Images
    Seems as though each vet is different. WOW DO 8 weeks! I have worked for 10 vets in 3 states and none have done ear crops that early.

My place did it from 8 -10 weeks (and I had to go in for an interview and everything beforehand!)...we ended up getting Rosie in @ 9 weeks and her ears turned out wonderfully and healed very quickly.

Images
    I saw an ear crop on another forum that was done before 6 weeks . I would suspect it is a home-crop job or should I say butcher job sadly or done by a not so reputable vet.

The youngest I've heard of a vet doing them is 8 weeks. The oldest have actually been adults. Most vets do it between 8-16 weeks from my observation on forums.

I find after 16 weeks it's almost impossible to find a vet to do it. (or a reputable one)

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaATL View Post
    The vet I worked for in Atlanta cropped between 12-16 weeks. And it also depends on the Vet. I know of a Vet in Macon, GA that will do them at any age. Also the Vet I worked for would have done my Mike's ears for me. And he was 1 1/2. It boils down to the Vet.
    whoa 1and a half year the poor pup i heard the older the dog the more it hurt because the thicker the cartilage....not so sure tho im still learning just in the begining phases of my vet tech cl$#@! but i even know some schools that wont teach ear cropping and tail docking...truthfully i want to learn (im n school for it guys dont crash me lol) when luck was a pup someone asked me if i was going to get his ears crops and dock the tail. i like his ears tho and never thought about cropping them. but i kno your NOT suppossed to dock a pits tail.
    (is it tru that if you dock a pits tail they dont weight pull as well as they could)

Did my dog at 8 months. She wasnt showing signs of pain. Played & slept as usual with me. Vet around here will not do any dog after 16 months.

I still wish I had had mars's done he's 9 months now though

Images
    Mars is beautiful with his ears.... they add character!! :D

they are character I will admit. So far the boy is all natural. He just recently reached a tall enough height to where his tail is giving me trouble. Noone thought he'd ever get that tall.

19. 8-16 weeks

Images
    I know most vets require it to be done before the 12-16 wk range, but I honestly read a report from one of the old time breeders, I dont know if it was Colby or Carver or who it was but they said to wait until the dog is several months old so you can wait and see what natural ear shape they would take. He also provided instructions on how to do it yourself. This was also several decades old. Please do not quote me on this or ask me for a source. Maybe Im mistaken, but im almost 100% sure i saw it on the web somewhere. Maybe someone else saw it too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast