Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Smacking your Dog

Do any members on this board smack their dog?
    I do. If my dog is being willfully obtuse (acting like an idiot when in situations she knows not to) I will give her a firm smack on the butt to get her attention on track.
    I don't mean beating, abusing, punching, kicking, rib jabbing. I mean a good old smack on the behind!
    I've gotten into debates on other boards and you'd think I was beating my dog the way some reacted...
    So, be honest, does anybody here do it? Or am I the only dog beater on here?

a clicker is a good alternative

-j

3. Quote Originally Posted by PocketPal View Post
    a clicker is a good alternative

-j
    I'm... not a clicker kind of gal.
    Just want to clarify that I also do positive reinforcement, luring/capturing. I don't smack on a constant basis. Just once in a blue moon.

Images
    We've had a few of these threads. Most people said yes, they definitely give an $#@! smack to get attention more or less. Sort of "Hey, jack$#@!!" when he's mouthing someone or not listening while after a mouse under the stove or something. But honestly I play with him rougher than I've ever smacked him, it hurts his feelings if anything.

It's not a regular occurance around here, but every one of my dogs has been smacked. I use mostly positive training but sometimes you just need to get the point across haha.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned View Post
    We've had a few of these threads. Most people said yes, they definitely give an $#@! smack to get attention more or less. Sort of "Hey, jack$#@!!" when he's mouthing someone or not listening while after a mouse under the stove or something. But honestly I play with him rougher than I've ever smacked him, it hurts his feelings if anything.
    This ^^ exactly. lol

7. Quote Originally Posted by Sun Valley Pit Bulls View Post
    It's not a regular occurance around here, but every one of my dogs has been smacked. I use mostly positive training but sometimes you just need to get the point across haha.
    Exactly! That's how I use it as well.
    Its not a consistent training method, only once in a rare while.

Images
    Yes, Callie doesnt get smacked often usually all it takes is a stern voice. Now the other two dogs they get smacked a little more often because they are complete $#@!$#@!s

9. I've given JC a tap on the butt once in awhile.

mine have all had a smack on the butt along with a loud NO! , and after a couple of those all that is ever needed is the loud voice.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Lee D View Post
    mine have all had a smack on the butt along with a loud NO! , and after a couple of those all that is ever needed is the loud voice.
    EXACTLY. I tried explaining this on another board and I was a dog abuser.

12. Quote Originally Posted by TannerG View Post
    Yes, Callie doesnt get smacked often usually all it takes is a stern voice. Now the other two dogs they get smacked a little more often because they are complete $#@!$#@!s
    You have other dogs? Or your family's dogs?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I've given JC a tap on the butt once in awhile.
    Shame on you Michele! ;)

14. Quote Originally Posted by jello View Post
    Shame on you Michele! ;)

I don't smack him too hard. He's only 8 pounds and would go flying across the room..

Images
    I've smacked my dogs $#@! with a open hand with the force you would use to slap your own hand (little) and follow it with a stern "no" command. It doesn't happen often but gets him focused.I don't think anybody can honestly say they never have, or they are just looking for some fur mommy debate.

16. Quote Originally Posted by BBPITS View Post
    I've smacked my dogs $#@! with a open hand with the force you would use to slap your own hand (little) and follow it with a stern "no" command. It doesn't happen often but gets him focused.I don't think anybody can honestly say they never have, or they are just looking for some fur mommy debate.
    These were fur mommies. I left the board.... I can never see eye to eye with people like that so whats the point?

17. Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post

I don't smack him too hard. He's only 8 pounds and would go flying across the room..
    HA! Poor guy, you're so abusive. Why can't you just give him a treat? (Just joking positive trainers).

Quote Originally Posted by jello View Post
    HA! Poor guy, you're so abusive. Why can't you just give him a treat? (Just joking positive trainers).
    I pat my dog down heavily when she's behaving, let's me get a good feel for the dog and see if she's got hidden injuries. So smacking her would only be rewarding her. I'm not a clicker person either, but my trainer says it's time for it's use with my lil terror.
    -j

19. I'm gonna be the odd ball here but I don't really smack my dogs, I don't have a problem with people doing it I just have rarely needed too.. I will admit to smacking Dyno across his face once, it was 2 weeks after I first got him,i feel badly about it,we were playing around and he was mouthing real gently but than he mouthed REAL hard and it hurt so much I didn't think about it, i just smacked him, it was a knee jerk reaction.. I will say he NEVER mouthed hard since than.

Images
    I do smack occasionally when my younger two get riled up and forgot to obey vocal commands. Usually a stern yell works, or a loud stomp (hardwood floors), but if not, they get a smack. This generally only happens when they're playing together and start to get too out of control. I'd never hurt them, though. I'd rather smack them on the butt than allow them to escalate to the point someone gets hurt (because they will start body slamming each other into walls, rolling each other off furniture, etc).

I've never smacked my oldest dog, but he's never needed it. A stern voice makes him tuck tail and retreat somewhere quiet to lay down.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!