1. Full grown weight

MY pup is about a week shy of 6 months, and weighs 40 pounds. I was wondering if there are any reliable estimations as to what he would weigh when he stops growing?

how big were his parents?

Images
    Will probably top out at 50-60#. At 6mo. A pup is 75% grown

Quote Originally Posted by timsm80 View Post
    At 6mo. A pup is 75% grown
    nonsense. ive raised/owned more dogs than most on here ever will, and the only way ive ever been somewhat successful at predicting these kinda things is looking at the dam/sire and maybe a generation behind them.... and I did say somewhat successful

5. Unless the pup was bred from a line that tends to throw dogs of a consistent size, there's really no way of knowing. My Dane breeder knows that her male pups will be in the 90-100lb range and be around 30" tall by six months and this was true for my boy. My poorly bred Dane gained 40lbs from 6 to 18 months and had gained another 20 in the two years since then while my show boy has gained almost 70lbs from 6 to 18 months and probably has another 15 to 20 to go.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee D View Post
    nonsense. ive raised/owned more dogs than most on here ever will, and the only way ive ever been somewhat successful at predicting these kinda things is looking at the dam/sire and maybe a generation behind them.... and I did say somewhat successful
    I read that 75% stat on an educated veterinarian website with many years experience. I read that medium breeds grow and fill out somewhat faster than large and giant breeds???? Well Titus is 73# so is that med. or large breed now??
    Last edited by timsm80; 09-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Images
    I've had dogs that looked like a whippet at 6 mo. and filled out around 12 mo.or so.Like in humans how does a 5'2 woman and a 5'8 man,both there parents are around the same height, have a kid that grows to be 6'8.If the breeding is good down the line with a dog, look at the parents it will give you an idea, but it's not set in stone.
    Last edited by BBPITS; 09-20-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Images
    Right i get the law of averages,, Titus's dad was 84# and Mom was 65# so Titus is now 73# at almost 15mo. so he probably will only put on 5-6# and then be finished right,, Guesstimation anyway?

9. I know for a fact the quality of care for my dog is much better than that of the parents, would that at all possibly have an effect on it? feeding and exercise wise?

10. Quote Originally Posted by blueruckus View Post
    I know for a fact the quality of care for my dog is much better than that of the parents, would that at all possibly have an effect on it? feeding and exercise wise?
    Care won't trump genetics. A dog will get as big/small as its genetics will allow.

Images
    Yeah the whole guessing weight thing never worked for me either. When I got Emma at 4 months old she was about 34lbs, which guessing would put her at a pretty big mutt fully grown if you went by that weight rule. She's almost 10 months now and weighs 40lbs.

I tried guessing with Frankie...didn't work.

So, I made a chart and weighed her every month. At 6 months old, she was 47lbs. Now at just over 2 years, she weighs 67lbs.
    She's not a Pit Bull (MIGHT have some in her????) but it gives you an idea. She has stayed pretty steady with her weight since she was about 20 months.

Also, at about 11 months old, she was 22" tall, she is now about 25" tall.