1. Dogs stool solid then soft please help

Hello everyone if anybody can help me with my 10 month old blue nose about his stool. His stool is solid but then goes soft (pudding like) he is currently on solid gold for about 2 months now and always been like that never no bleeding or anything before that he was on blue buffalo wilderness (puppy) he was good for a while but then start getting all soft stool never solid. About 2 weeks ago he had bad diarrhea and I gave him rice,chicken and canned pumpkin and it was all solid for days and great.

I am currently feeding him solid gold twice a day about 1 1/2 cups each time.

Can anybody recommend what I should do? Change food etc

Thanks!

It sounds like you might be over feeding him. Can you cut it down to 1 cup per meal?

With chronic diarrhea, its always a good idea to take a sample to the vet to check for parasites.

3. Isn't one cup to little? He is about 45-50 pounds the food guideline says 3-4 cups per day.

since he did good with the rice,chicken and pumpkin is there a diff food I should try?

You can always give a bland diet or add pumpkin but that's only going to cover up symptoms. You need to get to the root cause of the issue if you want your dog to have any relief.

The bag guidelines are simply guidelines. Some people feed more or less depending on the needs of their specific dog. Remember that dog food companies are in the business of selling dog food. They WANT you to go through it quickly so you buy more.

My 60# dog ate 1 cup per meal, 2 daily meals, when he was on kibble. His weight was maintained pretty well.

Images
    go raw solid stools every time no smell less stools,its win win for you and dog

Quote Originally Posted by Bull island terriers View Post
    go raw solid stools every time no smell less stools,its win win for you and dog
    Raw is not as simple as just "going raw". You need to do research on what to feed, where to get your meat, where to get varieties of meat, how to know that you're doing it correctly and not messing up your dog's health.

As a raw feeder, I HATE when people throw the suggestion out like its as simple as buying kibble and throwing it in a bowl. It's not. If you don't know what you're doing, you can seriously screw up your dog's health.

OP, if you would like to feed raw or consider it as an option, you should ask questions and be prepared to read, a lot. It takes dedication and commitment.

Images
    I would cut half a cup like unoriginal said over feeding can cause loose stool

Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    Isn't one cup to little? He is about 45-50 pounds the food guideline says 3-4 cups per day.

since he did good with the rice,chicken and pumpkin is there a diff food I should try?
    Sounds like over-feeding like unoriginal said. Dog's have a simple digestive tract, more food means more stomach acids to break down the food and since it's going through the short digestive tract, it doesn't have time to be completely absorbed by the body (i'm really simplifying this!) The dog may be developing gastritis from over-production of enzymes in the stomach, the pumpkin and rice is just adding fiber to the stool. also since the dog had diarrhea, pay close attention to dehydration.
    -j

Images
    yes of course he should do research before going raw,but it is a simple step to take,read up on it and then feed it simple.if your not sure what to feed,read a good raw/barf diet book for dogs and go for it.its not rocket science.it does take more time to source and prepare raw food and good hygiene is a must but i think its worth the effort,my dogs thrive on it

Images
    My dog is on TOTW and only eats 2 cups per day. She weighs about 51lbs and could honestly lose a few. I always try to feed the least amount possible and still maintain weight.

But when is the last time a worm check was done? Worms will cause this