Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by indelibledotink View Post
    that seems a little excessive, heading toward area of the surgeons who initial human uteruses (uteri?)
    The dog is still asleep. They could put a smiley face for all I care. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MsAcer View Post
    In the 20+ years I've done rescue, I've had 2 foster dogs whose balls did not drop! Everyone thought they were already fixed, except for the fact that they acted intact. The first time I talked my vet into going on a "ball hunt" he didn't believe me, humored me, then was really surprised when he found them! So a little tat can be helpful.
    It's pretty obvious he's neutered- he has a little coin purse, lol. Although I will admit I've never met a dog with two undescended testicles... Do they have coin purses, or just look smooth?

i'd be annoyed if a rescue initialed my dog. it's like if you hire a computer tech to look at your computer and they attach a metal sticker with their company name on it, or car dealerships which brand their cars. frickin irritating.

Images
    A lot of rescues microchip all their dogs that get adopted out with the rescue's info. What's the difference other than one is physical and the other has to be scanned for.

Plus microchips move. The tattoo doesn't.

and why tattoo on top of a huge spay scar?

Images
    The spayed bitch I had didn't have a noticeable scar.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bringbackup View Post
    Actually, I take that back. I do have a regret about it. Because my male is not registered but I still chose to leave him intact, I cannot compete in any sports with him and thus earn titles. Limited registration is only available to spayed/neutered dogs. I couldn't even go to the ATTS test with him today, because even if I paid the $45 to have him tested, the paperwork said explicitly despite a passing score he would not earn a certificate or title. Waste of money essentially. I weight pull train with him despite it being pointless because he can't pull in the ADBA or UKC, again because I haven't neutered him. It is something I am truly bummed about but I've come to terms with the $#@!. Honestly, I think it's dumb. They should allow people who choose to leave their animals intact for the health benefits do something similar to limited registration...but NOT allow litters to be registered to those dogs in order to discourage the breeding of them (merely because they have titles).
    You can pull in APA regardless of registration or whether a dog is intact or not, IWPA I believe as well. You can compete in agility w/USDAA, NADAC, or CPE. I think you compete in DVG Schutzhund, but I could be wrong. In French Ring, I thought you needed to call an APBT a "blue dog" (like a mixed breed), but you didn't need to spay/neuter. I think your idea about limited privileges is a good one. Xanny was intact until 7 years old, Soleil was intact until 6, no oops litters. Scheme is 2 1/2, and still intact. Heats are a PITA though.

and why tattoo on top of a huge spay scar?
    Neither of my dogs have a noticeable spay scar. Rosie is 8 and you can't see anything. When I first got Frankie, I thought the blue line would wash off, but it was still here after a couple baths. I asked her foster mom about it and she told me she was tattooed. No visible scar, except the tattoo on her.

All of my animals have been altered with the exception of my youngest and he won't be neutered. He's my show dog!

I don't remember how old Em was when she was spayed. Probably around 5-6 months. It was before her first heat. I have no problem with that. I think it was a good age.

Bayleigh was spayed at 3 months when I adopted her from the shelter. I would have waited until she was older.

My boys, no longer alive, were both neutered at 8 years old. I'd had DJ his whole life. Never had an issue. As far as I know, never sired any pups. Why did I neuter him? I kind of felt pressured. I was just starting in the rescue world. I adopted Kaiser at 7.5 years old from the shelter. He was intact and I took him home intact. It was my choice to neuter him and since I worked there the director didn't mind if I did or didn't because of his age. The vet recommended that he be neutered because he had something wrong - can't remember what it was right now. I kind of wish I hadn't done either one as it was just a waste of money. Both boys died not even a year after their surgeries.

Any future dogs who aren't showing will probably be altered. I just don't want to deal with a heat unless I have to. I don't mind having intact boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Neither of my dogs have a noticeable spay scar.
    good genes. some dogs keloid. my own scars are prominent, and mei's spay scar is definitely noticeable. i'm at a loss to think about an alternative to the tattoo.

TRIM YOUR DOGS NAILS BEFORE I BRING IT UP Land, right next to MD
    Images
    I wish they gave my girl a tattoo ... BUT a White/yellow one... instead of those $#@!in internal stitches that will always be in there.. I wish I was aware of that $#@! too... I would have opted for something else. I hate feeling them.. regardless if they bother her or not.

My girl has no scar what so ever!

you can make an incision and pull out the stitches. I did that to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
    I wish they gave my girl a tattoo ... BUT a White/yellow one... instead of those $#@!in internal stitches that will always be in there.. I wish I was aware of that $#@! too... I would have opted for something else. I hate feeling them.. regardless if they bother her or not.

My girl has no scar what so ever!
    This! The shelter uses a low cost spay neuter clinic and they use the steel sutures that stay in forever. Bayleigh has little "train tracks" on her belly and I HATE THEM! I cannot stand to feel them. I don't think I'll ever take anymore females there in the future. They are cheap and great at what they do but those steel sutures.

I would not advise anyone to cut into their own dog. Leave it to the professionals.

thought you meant plastic nondesolving stitches.

thought you meant plastic nondesolving stitches.
    No, internal steel sutures that don't have to be removed. They stay there forever.

Images
    There's usually a reason that a vet (or doctor) will with removable sutures over dissolvable ones. And that reason is usually so they can check the incision. Pulling them out yourself is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    There's usually a reason that a vet (or doctor) will with removable sutures over dissolvable ones. And that reason is usually so they can check the incision. Pulling them out yourself is dumb.
    had blue plastic stitches, cut sutured, then healed and scarred over after about a year. some of the stitches were not under the skin, so I pulled them out. the drs just forgot about them, as they did when I had skin grafts which required metal staples to hold the grafted skin onto my 'normal' legs. the staples were removed except for one, which the dr just dismissed and said to leave it. a thin layer of skin grew over it and I had to specifically ask for them to remove it. the skin was cut and staple taken out, they had forgotten about it.

in general you should not pull out your stitches, I agree.

Eh, I've always removed my own stitches and staples and I remove my kids, too. But maybe I'm a nutter. :)

I am spayed, my husband is intact. If a woman shows up here with a "litter" he will be neutered on the spot. I would probably knock him out first.

Marty-Kitty is neutered. I had him done when he turned about 2. I would have left him intact, but he kept trying to go outside and I do not allow my cats outside as I live in a city. So, I figured if I removed his balls he would be less likely to try to escape the house. It worked. Been about a decade now and he doesn't even go near the windows, much less the door.

Ike, American Bulldog, I got neutered at 15 months. I wanted to wait until full maturity, 18-24 months, but I was taking in an intact female who was close to heat and I had young kids. I didn't want to risk an accidental litter, so to the vet we went.

Rita, APBT, was the intact female I took in. She couldn't be spayed for health reasons. She had allergies and a hormone imbalance as well as a heart murmur. By the time the allergy related ear infections got cleared up and she was off meds she would go into heat, have a false pregnancy, rinse and repeat. They didn't want to spay her while in heat or during the false pregnancies because she would be under longer and that was too risky with the murmur. You have no idea how happy I was when she finally got cleared for surgery! I hate dealing with heat.

When the doc went in to spay her they found she was in the beginning stages of Pyometra. She had been to 3 vets in 2 weeks leading up to the surgery to be thoroughly examined and was showing no signs of anything wrong. Nothing at home, either. We got lucky. If we had delayed for any reason I am convinced we wouldn't have known about the Pyo until too late and we'd probably have lost her.

Owen, Basset Hound, is intact. I made the decision to neuter my ex-husband, Marty-Kitty, and Ike. I also spayed Rita. So, in a crowded Wal-Mart, my husband says "You took Shane's balls, Marty-Kitty's balls, Ike's balls and Rita's ovaries! Owen? NO! Owen's fuzzy nuts are my last stand!" *sigh* You'd all have died laughing hearing him. He quite loudly defended Owen's nuts. So, at 3 years old, Owen is still intact.

Renee, APBT, was spayed after her first heat at a 1 year old. I would have liked to wait until she hit 18 months, but I couldn't handle another heat cycle from her. She was a grumpy, insane, snarky, bitch. Plus the mess. And the guys went nutty. I was close to killing all of them! I expected Owen to be a $#@! as he is intact, but Ike was a $#@!, too. And he'd been neutered for over 2 years by then!

Renee is the only one who has a spay tattoo. She healed without a visible scar, so I am glad they did the tattoo. I am actually kicking around the idea of having the vet tattoo Rita, too, because she also healed without a visible scar. If anything ever happened to me or if the girls went missing and were for some reason never recovered I think I'd feel better knowing that whoever took them in would know they were spayed and not try to have it done.

19. Quote Originally Posted by indelibledotink View Post
    That's just downright stupid. smfh

There's a big difference between snipping stitches and pulling them out and cutting the dog open to get some out that are grown over.
    Last edited by Boogieman; 08-07-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Images
    none of my dogs are S/N

but I lost my JRT bitch from pyo a couple of months ago
    it was very hard to deal with her loss, I have grown up with her.

would I have spayed her knowing what I know now ? well maybe, she lived to the ripe age of 14 but I would have loved some extra years with her.. I might be a little optimistic but she only just started slowing down a little before her pyo, at 14..

so for my new pup.. I might get her spayed at some point.. but probably more around 5 or 6 years old..

none of my dogs will get neutered unless medically required though. don't see any need for it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast