Question pitbull vs. english mastiff?

hello again everyone..

me and my boyfriend are about to get an english mastiff pup.
    We were wanting to know any helpful info about the breed, i couldnt find many sites for them like there are pits.

also is there anything i should know about having 2 dogs? diesel is my first dog so i am still learning and i am up for suggestions. i am taking all the tips from my zoomie video into consideration.

thanks!

I don't know much about the breed. But when bring the 2 dogs of any sort IMO you should make sure they are going to get along before rushing into having 2 dogs. Is the dog that you have know show aggression towards other dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissE View Post
    I don't know much about the breed. But when bring the 2 dogs of any sort IMO you should make sure they are going to get along before rushing into having 2 dogs. Is the dog that you have know show aggression towards other dogs?
    no not in any way..he loves being around other dogs, for the first 6 months of his life he was constantly around them..the girl who had him had i think 3 others.

when around other dogs, he is mor submittive than anything, my brothers and sisters dogs (one is pit, one is boxer) both dominate him..he just lets them do whatever and wags his tail the whole time..and the pup we are looking at is 7 weeks and comes from a family with lots of dogs..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDawg View Post

thanks!! and we call ours "dieseldawg" alot too lol

Quote Originally Posted by 502amandab View Post
    no not in any way..he loves being around other dogs, for the first 6 months of his life he was constantly around them..the girl who had him had i think 3 others.

when around other dogs, he is mor submittive than anything, my brothers and sisters dogs (one is pit, one is boxer) both dominate him..he just lets them do whatever and wags his tail the whole time..and the pup we are looking at is 7 weeks and comes from a family with lots of dogs..

That is good. Glad someone found you a forum. :) Good luck with your new pup.

general rule of thumb when getting a new puppy, find one that has an equal or lesser energy level that the dog you already have, even if your dog is not aggressive he may not like a dominant dog comming in and taking over his space.

i have a 4 yr. old male english mastiff 210 lbs. and a pit bull pup

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backyard 003.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	1310 they are awsome with other dogs and a great family pet, big and lazy. great with kids and protected of them mine has never shown any type of DA even with dogs he's never met loves all dog big or small male or female . gets along with new people unless my kids are around if a person he don't know is in the area and my kids walk to them he'll get in between them and growl at the stange person but thats it. i go though about 40 lbs of dog food a week. great inside dog easy to train and please. a dog like the enghlish mastiff you dont want out side they love people and want to be by you all the time. can't go wrong with a mastiff. you will just fall in love with it, i think they are the best family dog you'll ever get. they are GENTAL GAINTS.
    Paul

another great dog is the cain corso mastiff (or italian mastiff) . i use to have a female but gave her to a friend of mine cause he lived on a farm. they almost look like a eglish mastiff but not as big they get to be about 90 lbs. they crop there ears and dock the tail they almost look like a pit with there ears cropped. and very smart look them up once see what you think you can spend up to $2500 on one, but they are a cool looking pooch. there more along the line of a guard dog, they use to gaurd children in the fields in itlay to keep preditors away, another great family dog. well temperd

Name:	Jackie's pic's 008.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	1311 this is what my cain corso mastiff looked like as a pup. and my boxer pup ( chopper )

a mastiff makes a great guard dog not because there mean or any thing its because there some damn big lol

Quote Originally Posted by lerssen View Post

Name:	backyard 003.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	1310 they are awsome with other dogs and a great family pet, big and lazy. great with kids and protected of them mine has never shown any type of DA even with dogs he's never met loves all dog big or small male or female . gets along with new people unless my kids are around if a person he don't know is in the area and my kids walk to them he'll get in between them and growl at the stange person but thats it. i go though about 40 lbs of dog food a week. great inside dog easy to train and please. a dog like the enghlish mastiff you dont want out side they love people and want to be by you all the time. can't go wrong with a mastiff. you will just fall in love with it, i think they are the best family dog you'll ever get. they are GENTAL GAINTS.
    Paul

thank you for all of your help!!! this eases my mind a lot..diesel is calm, but has to ge able to let his energy off like any other dog..from what i read mastiffs seem much calmer and lazier than pits..so it will work out the mastiff being braught in 2nd..thanks again!!

glad to be some help to you;) gool luck

14. I haven't read all the way through this, so if this was said already I apologize...
    But, Keep in mind that even though Diesel may be good around dogs right now, he might not always be good around dogs. So, if you do get the dog, that's fine, but keep a close eye on them at all times, and be prepare to have to keep them separate in the future. It might never happen, but have a plan ready in case it does.

Images
    My friend has an english mastiff and she is the sweetest dog ever. She's real chill, never barks and they're not hyper, high energy dogs. My dog is an italian mastiff, and one thing about mastiff puppies is they are extremely goofy and uncoordinated because their bodies are too big for their minds. I would do some research and find a good breeder. Beware that these are not cheap dogs, our cane corso cost $2000, and we had a hookup because the breeder was a friend of ours. One other word of advice: the larger the breed the more expensive it is to keep. The vet bills are higher, you go through twice as much food etc., so I would make sure you can handle the higher costs before you get the dog. Best of luck to you!!
    Last edited by kris2642; 08-01-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kris2642 View Post
    My friend has an english mastiff and she is the sweetest dog ever. She's real chill, never barks and they're not hyper, high energy dogs. My dog is an italian mastiff, and one thing about mastiff puppies is they are extremely goofy and uncoordinated because their bodies are too big for their minds. I would do some research and find a good breeder. Beware that these are not cheap dogs, our cane corso cost $2000, and we had a hookup because the breeder was a friend of ours. One other word of advice: the larger the breed the more expensive it is to keep. The vet bills are higher, you go through twice as much food etc., so I would make sure you can handle the higher costs before you get the dog. Best of luck to you!!
    CAIN CORSO are awsome dogs aren't they. i loved mine. they guy I gave her to wants to breed her with my english mastiff, but I told him no. Don't need any more 1/2 breeds out there, but it would be pure bred mastiff, it would just be 1/2 english and 1/2 cain corso. i told him he would be much better of just getting another cain corso.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lerssen View Post
    CAIN CORSO are awsome dogs aren't they. i loved mine. they guy I gave her to wants to breed her with my english mastiff, but I told him no. Don't need any more 1/2 breeds out there, but it would be pure bred mastiff, it would just be 1/2 english and 1/2 cain corso. i told him he would be much better of just getting another cain corso.

They're awesome, our guy is so incredibly loyal and loving and wants to be involved in everything we do. The cane corso is so easily trained and truly lives for its family. They're also incredibly smart. A few nights ago I took Thor out to go to the bathroom before I put him in his crate for the night. When I brought him back in he wouldn't go in which is weird because he usually goes in there on his own. He kept running back down the stairs and was barking at the door. I was trying to figure out why he was doing that until I realized I had forgotten to lock the door. As soon as I locked it he ran back upstairs, curled up in his crate and went to sleep. I can't imagine life without our Thor, as I'm typing this he's laying on my feet snoring away! I also agree with you on the breeding, I don't like to see breeds like the corso or english mastiff "diluted" so to speak because they're so amazing as a purebred.