Thread: rash on belly

rash on belly

My 5 month old pit bull, Maggie, has developed some sort of skin irritation on her belly and legs. There are tiny red bumps that she itches and bites at constantly. I'm guessing maybe chiggers but I also thought it could be some sort of allergy to gr$#@! or food possibly. I've been putting hydrocorisone lotion on her but it doesn't seem to relieve the itch. Does anyone have any suggestions, poor Maggie seems to be in misery.

Jessica

2. do you have a picture? Have you seen a vet?

Have not seen a vet yet. I don't have a picture because some of them are so hard to see under her hair...and she is sleeping now and I just don't have the heart to wake her!

4. It could be anything. I would give your vet a call.

Does it look something like this? and with like like darker little tiny dots on the rash? If so, my dog had the same thing and it went away in a couple of days.

yes it looks something like that only more widespread. I hope Maggie's goes away in a couple of days too. We were at the vet last week and he told us we could give her an egg yolk everyday to help make her coat shiny. It was shortly after we started doing that that this rash developed and I have read that dogs can have an allergy to eggs that causes a rash. We're going to discontinue the eggs and see if that helps.

Dooley got a rash because of the gr$#@!. I noticed that after the maintenance was done at the complex I live in, his belly was red. Took him to the vet and he prescribed Kid's benadryl (25mg) and a topic spray (Betagen). I am sure both could be found in the pharmacy, or equivalent. Betagen contains gentamicin sulfate equivalent to 0.57mg gentamicin base and betamethasone valerate equivalent to 0.284mg betamethasone.

Queen gets a rash from gr$#@! that is similar to that. What I do is wipe down her belly with a baby wipe after she come in from outside.

But it could be a number of things. I would take her to the vet to find out more.

9. My pit had the same thing. I gave her about a tablespoon of benydrl and this cleared her up in about 2 days. This will make them sleepy but it will take the itch away if the rash bothers them. Normally I give my dog benydrl about twice a day when she had the rash.