Panting too much and drinking more water

My girl is going to be 11 this January. I have noticed that she gets worn out from walks much sooner than usual.

She also has started panting much more. She never was much of a panter. It has been hot, but she's never reacted like this. I'm not sure if older dogs feel heat more?

Also, she drinks a TON of water. I've been refilling the bowl 2x a day, when it was only every other day before.

She lives inside.

Other than that, she's acting fine.

Is this just old age stuff or should I take her in? I was thinking possibly a kidney issue, but at her age, not sure I'd want to even bother with any kind of treatment other than meds.

hmmm. Weird question, but how does her urine smell? Does it have kind of a sickly-sweet odor to it? Excessive water drinking always makes me think diabetes or renal issues. You may want to take her in for a blood panel.

You could always take her in have her checked out and do some blood work just to make sure. I always think that it better to be safe than sorry.

Anyone know how kidney or diabetes are treated in dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
    hmmm. Weird question, but how does her urine smell? Does it have kind of a sickly-sweet odor to it? Excessive water drinking always makes me think diabetes or renal issues. You may want to take her in for a blood panel.
    LMAO...um, how would I go about smelling her pee?

It depends on what the exact issue is. Diabetes is treated with diet, and often insulin....the exact same synthetic they give to humans, in fact. If it's a kidney issue, there are as many treatments as there are illnesses, so it would have to be diagnosed. IF it's a kidney problem, you need to know ASAP.

edit* diabetic urine has a strong odor! It wouldn't take much to catch a whiff when you walk her =)

It depends on what the exact issue is. Diabetes is treated with diet, and often insulin....the exact same synthetic they give to humans, in fact. If it's a kidney issue, there are as many treatments as there are illnesses, so it would have to be diagnosed. IF it's a kidney problem, you need to know ASAP.

edit* diabetic urine has a strong odor! It wouldn't take much to catch a whiff when you walk her =)
    Ugh. This is bad....but I don't want to know. I know, I know, I will take her in. But I don't want to know. I don't think I can deal with that. I'll take her in tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed it's something simple like a UTI. Let us know!

Good luck! Keep us updated.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai_77 View Post
    Ugh. This is bad....but I don't want to know. I know, I know, I will take her in. But I don't want to know. I don't think I can deal with that. I'll take her in tomorrow morning.
    You are her protector...you find out and do whatever you need to do to help her. She is relying on you...both be strong and good wishes your way.

If you didn't do anything, you would not forgive yourself.

Images
    That was the first thing that came to my mind when I hear about the age and the amount of water.
    I second this......
    I hope she is ok :(

Images
    Just relax. Drinking more and panting can be a sign of UTI. Obviously it can be other things to but UTI is MOST COMMON. Doing bloodwork and a urinalysis would be best, especially if she hasn't had it run in the last 6 - 12 months.

Make sure she doesn't urinate for an hour or so before getting to the vet, so they can get a good sample. And, depending on the time of the appt, maybe fast her in the morning so the bloodwork is more accurate. Good luck! Keep us updated.