crate size suggestions?

It's come time for me to buy Indy a real crate. I've been using a smallish sized one that I picked up cheap when I first got her, and will be giving to my parents for the cats later (its a bit big for them but, it will be good anyway.)

So here's my question, what size should I get? I'm looking at the wire crates that fold down, I need something that will be somewhat portable, since I travel a bit by car, and typically take Indy with me. But I don't think I want to go with another plastic crate like she has now. She loves seeing whats going on. I want to get her a new one soon...probably in the next few days. (My local feed store is having a sale right now). So advice would be awesome!!

2. Well,depends on how big Indy'll be full grown. My dogs are comfortable in a 30" wire, but I normally give them a bit more room and go for the 36". I personally prefer the plastic ones, though.

Images
    I agree on knowing her full size...the next thing to consider is what you are going to be using it for. If it is merely for transporting or training, then you do not want a huge one. You want to fit her. You do not want her to be able to feel as though she has enough room to go potty....if she is not past that point.

If she has mastered crate training and there are no issues, then I would probably get a med-large wire crate.

We use the wire crate (fold up type) for our three house dogs. They are in the 30-36" range. If she has got the hang of potty training, it shouldn't be a problem giving her more room. If she's still training, they sell on that comes with a 'divider' to make the area smaller while the pup is small, then it can be removed as the pup grows.
    We have had much success with these over the years. Hope this will help you with your decision.

I also want to tell you that I love Indy - what a beautiful pup! She looks so happy! You're such a good momma!

I like the LifeStages crates.........in the Great Dane size. :D If you have the room, the larger crate is better to allow your dog some freedom of movement while confined. Personally, I believe the whole motto of "they should only have enough room to stand up, turn around, and lie back down" is bullcrap. If a dog is going to be kenneled, it needs enough room to stand up, sit up, lie curled up, lie on its side, and basically move around to some degree. Your dog should not fit into it's crate like a 300 lb woman in size A pantyhose. ;)

And with the LifeStages crates, it comes with a divider so if you need to graduate the space, then you've got an easy way to do it. Plus, I've found that they are much sturdier than other brands when it comes to dogs chewing and bending the bars and breaking the doors down (& you're talking to someone who has spent thousands of dollars on trying to keep a certain OEB confined )

Well, if Indy takes after her parents, I don't think she's going to really be huge or anything. They were no more than 45-50lbs I would guess. She is 15 weeks now and 18 lbs if that helps.

Really what I need is something that will work both in the house (she is crate trained) since she sleeps in it, and is in it when I need her contained for a while, or when I'm not in the house. And I need it for the car. Like I said before I travel a bit, and will be heading back to GA in September and Indy will be coming with me. I have a decent sized car, but...I think I need a fold down or something that will be easy to put in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    I like the LifeStages crates.........in the Great Dane size. :D If you have the room, the larger crate is better to allow your dog some freedom of movement while confined. Personally, I believe the whole motto of "they should only have enough room to stand up, turn around, and lie back down" is bullcrap. If a dog is going to be kenneled, it needs enough room to stand up, sit up, lie curled up, lie on its side, and basically move around to some degree. Your dog should not fit into it's crate like a 300 lb woman in size A pantyhose. ;)

And with the LifeStages crates, it comes with a divider so if you need to graduate the space, then you've got an easy way to do it. Plus, I've found that they are much sturdier than other brands when it comes to dogs chewing and bending the bars and breaking the doors down (& you're talking to someone who has spent thousands of dollars on trying to keep a certain OEB confined )
    I went to my local feed store to check out their crates today, all they carry is Life Stages. I ended up getting the 36", which they said should be perfect for Indy, and now that I've got it all put together...I think they were right!! Thanks for referring me to this brand now that I've got it home and set up...man I'm impressed.

Oh and another reason I love my feed store....it was dirt cheap! Woohoo!

8. Yeah, Ryker's 51#, Luna's 42# and Lyric is a whopping 28-29# (@ almost 8 months - she was 18 @ 4 months, give or take) and the 36" in perfect.