Thread: Itchy skin

Itchy skin

My 3 month 2 week old pit Zoie has been biting and scratching at her skin. I don't see any flees or any rashes. The only marks are from her scratching. Has anyone else had this issue? I know my parent's pit bull has pretty sensitive skin. He has to go in and get a shot sometimes when it gets bad. Any comments and answers? She is due to go to the vet in about 2 weeks again.

She may have a food related allergy. First thing you want to check. What are you feeding her? You might want to switch to a high quality/grain free kibble.

She is eating Blue Buffalo's Life Protection Formula Chicken & Brown Rice recipe for puppies. Is the only way to tell if it's her food is by changing it?

Quote Originally Posted by terranrachelle View Post
    She is eating Blue Buffalo's Life Protection Formula Chicken & Brown Rice recipe for puppies. Is the only way to tell if it's her food is by changing it?

No. You coulrun allergy panels at the vets. But then you will probably be afraid to even take her outside lol

Blue Buff is "ok" food but not great. 9 times out of 10 bully breeds have allergies to grains it seems. You may want to at least switch to a grain free that contains potatoes instead of rice. But my one dog, Copper will eat her feet until they bleed on grains. so she's on Orijen Salmon.

I hear a lot of mixed reviews on Blue Buffalo. My boyfriend is the one that started her on it. He went to Petsmart and went to buy another kind and a guy set and gave him a 101 cl$#@! on dog food and ingredients so he went with the Blue Buffalo b/c the first ingredient is chicken instead of corn product? Can I find a list of grain free food somewhere? Just google?

You could start here: Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

But you want to stay away from grains for now. Rice is a grain. There are some decent meat/potato brands like Taste of The Wild which can be bought at most local feed stores.

Images
    This ^^^ you can try TOTW,or Costco salmon/potato (cheaper). Both are made by Diamond Foods.

Should I try something different other than chicken also?

9. Most people suggest going grain free. Oats and brown rice is ok, just definately avoid corn wheat and soy. Your pup is still very youn, I think you should keep her on what shes doing best on, meaning having consistant solid stool. I tryed a grain free on my pup when she was about 2 months, gradual switch), gave her loose stool. Went back to a puppy kibble with grains and it cleared her right up. I waited for her to grow some and then tryed another grain free, and she is doing great now. I think maybe the high quality, nutrient dense kibble is too much for a very young pup. Just go with what keeps her stool good. I know my pup does good with chicken, so im keeping her on a kibble with chicken until she is maybe adolescent, and then ill try to change protiens. When switching, do it gradually for a week or 2, and I think a dog has to be on a food for like 2 or 3 weeks before you can tell how it works for that dog.