Thread: Stinky dog butt

Stinky dog butt

What would cause a dogs butt to smell? Its not like a poop smell but like a butt smell. Its also not all the time but when it happens its usually for a full day then just stops. But if your even within arms reach of his back end you can smell him and if we are in the car when it happens its HORRIBLE.

Ive tried expressing anal glands but was simply taught if they are full and nothing comes out dont mess with it... and thats the case here. Would that have anything to do with the stink? Is the only option for that to have a vet see him? Or would a stinky butt be from something else? Help.. its nasty!

Images
    Have you done a lot of anal gland expressing? Well that's a question I never thought I'd ask.. lol If not I would suggest getting him to someone experienced, if so nevermind.

Has he been chewing or licking around his rear noticeably?

Lol its not a topic I ever thought Id bring up.. Been considering asking for a while and finally decided I would.

No I havent. Ive actually never been able to since getting him, so a little over 3 years now? He didnt start having the stink issue until the last year or so and at first I only noticed it in cars when he would be sitting with his butt on leg. Most recently we were on the bed ans hw was just laying there and it was nasty. Then it just goes away again. He does chew at hia back end on occassion but not where I would even cpnsider it a problem, more like the occassional itch but not at all frequent. Though as Im sitting here thinking about it I want to say the last time it smelled he did seem to chew more often.. Smell left and chewing went away.

Images
    I had a schnauzer who had anal gland issues, they needed to be 'expressed' more often than is usual, and there was a funk back there and he did tend to lick and chew back there a lot more frequently at these times. And heck the spit and it being damn sure doesn't help the smell.

Groomers don't charge much for it, usually it's included with a full groom around here, you just let them know and they might charge a bit extra. Maybe you could find an experienced anal-expresser to see if that's his problem...
    I'd go that route before going to a vet to see what his issue is, they'll probably suggest an anal expression first anyway. And I'm sure he'd appreciate not having a vet poking around his butt TOO.

Groomers will express from the OUTSIDE. We do it in a tub, Hold up the tail with one hand and go up and out with the other. Most anal glands sit just below the anus to each side(inside the dog). You really need to have experience with some dogs to find them.
    Vet's express from the INSIDE. They will pull on the gloves, lube up and put a finger in.

Some dogs have the problem of the gland junk being too thick(thicker then tooth paste), so it does not secrete on their own, they just clog up.
    Some dogs seem to have way too thin, like water, gland junk. So they leak when the dog gets too excited.
    I do a pair of beagle/pug mixes once a month or they leak at home(ick). They are just like a firehose!!

Do you feed raw or meaty raw bones? firmer poo help dogs to express naturally.

Images
    I just realized because of your post, MsAcer, that my boy has that excited leaking problem. I've always noticed a horrific smell from him whenever he's been thoroughly scared by something - like a Great Dane attack. But nothing to show for it and he cleans his rear afterwards.

Well I'm glad I know now, it makes sense now that I've done some researching. My vet said "He must just poop himself". Right.

Ya I learned to do them when I worked at the groomer but they simply taught me to try for each dog that came in and if nothing happened dont mess with it. I usually try his every time I wash him (weekly/every other) just out of habit. Easy to find but cant get anything out... and beyond that is where I have no knowledge. Id prefer to avoid a vet if possible (and a groomer for that matter) because hes a big chicken when it comes to places like that/people he doesnt know messing with him but if thats what needs to happen to get rid of his stinky butt, well, guess hes going to have to deal with it lol

I dont feed raw or raw bones but have considered giving him bones.. maybe Ill give that a try first.
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned View Post
    I just realized because of your post, MsAcer, that my boy has that excited leaking problem. I've always noticed a horrific smell from him whenever he's been thoroughly scared by something - like a Great Dane attack. But nothing to show for it and he cleans his rear afterwards.

Well I'm glad I know now, it makes sense now that I've done some researching. My vet said "He must just poop himself". Right.
    I had a friend who had to block off her living room window because her dogs would get so worked up by other dogs walking by they would blow their anal glands...ugh.
    And in most cases of fright, dogs can "blow" them!

Images
    Sounds like it could be an anal glad issue. might want to see if your vet can express those anal glands for you got ghet the pressure off them. =)

10. Quote Originally Posted by MsAcer View Post
    I had a friend who had to block off her living room window because her dogs would get so worked up by other dogs walking by they would blow their anal glands...ugh.
    And in most cases of fright, dogs can "blow" them!
    wow! I did not know this! Just last night in the car..BK was over the top worked up..and we thought he passed gas. then he kept licking himself..I just $#@!umed that was stress. This makes sense for real!. This is why I love this forum lol!

my family dog grown up, had to have an anal gland removed because it got so clogged (would get them cleaned out 3 times or so a year, 2 times by the groomer, 1 time at the vet minimum) so I would get it checked out, you don't want something like that to happen

12. Sometimes it can be something in their dog food or even if they don't drink enough water. My boys can get stinky but when the are upset, one is a nervous farter. They have had issues now and again with the anal glands as well. It so happened one time he was at the vet for a skin problem, the doc expressed them and they actually were ok, he just farts. Also if they get infected you need an antibiotic, it doesn't also go away on its own.

I agree with likely leaky anal glands.

Roxy used to leak every two weeks or so, then we switched to raw and it stopped. I personally would avoid expressing, I just don't think that's the way it should go down, but, I do know of someone on another board that had serious issues with her dog and ultimately they had to be removed.

So, at your next vet check I would bring it up (they will probably recommend coming in to get them expressed often, mo'money!), if there's no serious underlying issues that they find I would try to do something with his diet so they'll be expressed properly when he poops. :) I have heard of some bran being added to a dogs' diet to help fluff up the poop so they are expressed the way they're supposed to be. Raw worked for Roxy, but bran is something else to try that's easier, and more natural IMO than sticking your finger in there and squeezing the nasties out!

When my cat was grossly obese he also had anal gland issues, vet said when dogs and cats get overweight, sometimes it can create some issues expressing anal glands naturally as well. Don't know how true that is, but that's what she said!