Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walgreens sells Pit Bull defense pepper spray

People are flipping out about it. Thought I'd post it here.

I don't necessarily think it's to use on Pit Bulls, but I think they want you to think it's supposed to be strong, like a Pit Bull. That's my take though. Knowing idiot people these days, it really could be to defend yourself against a Pit Bull.

Here's a petition to have it removed: SignOn.org - Stop Retailers from Selling Products which Discriminate Against Certain Animal Breeds

I saw this on FB.

The picture of the dog on the packaging looks really familiar. I can't remember where I've seen it used before though.

I hadn't thought of it the other way; as the spray being "tough as a pit bull". Hmmm...

Like a lot of products and company's now, I think their adverting departments are lacking .

....sigh

Images
    Do they sell that out of pet supply's, that display looks like it's by the front checkouts(phone cards& $#@!). Using a photo of a PB(mfg. might of got off this forum?) instead of animated pic pisses me off. I'm in Canada you can't by mace at dept. stores.
    Last edited by BBPITS; 01-04-2013 at 03:22 PM.

6. I agree with Pink..I really think the name is just to make people think its extra strong..if it stops a pit bull it will stop anything..

kinda like secret..tough enough for a man..made for a woman..type a thing.

altho..I have heard many stories about a cop or whoever pepper spraying a"pit bull" and the dog kept on coming.

Images
    ^This pepper spraying a pitbull type dog in full attack mode, probably will not make the dog stop in it's tracks. I have heard stories of pepper spry being ineffective. I bet walgreens will take it off the shelves after people make enough of a fuss.

Directly from Walgreens via their FB page

"Hi Laura Duckworth, I apologize that the sale of this item in one of our stores has upset our customers in any way. I can $#@!ure you that this is not a corporately purchased item, but a local buy. We have reached out to the store carrying the item and they have since pulled the item and returned it to the vendor. Thank you and be well."

http://www.facebook.com/Walgreens/app_335327513213728

Right side of the page, might have to scroll a bit but not much. Bolding is mine.

I have a feeling they're not allowed to use that picture. It's one of those overused images pulled online.
    American Pit Bull Terrier (Pitbull) is one site it's on

Images
    Yep, I wish I could find the owner. I see that picture all over the place. I'm pretty sure I've seen the real image before, but for the life of me, I cannot remember.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial88 View Post
    I have a feeling they're not allowed to use that picture. It's one of those overused images pulled online.
    American Pit Bull Terrier (Pitbull) is one site it's on
    I think once you post a pic/image online it's for public viewing unless you have a trademark or copyright. I've also seen it somewhere(rap video?). looks like Max with cropped ears.

12. Copyrighted (Waldemar Dabrowski) stock photo ... http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-2205...-portrait.html
    That dog is or was, likely in Europe ... maybe Poland

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBingo View Post
    Copyrighted (Waldemar Dabrowski) stock photo ... http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-2205...-portrait.html
    That dog is or was, likely in Europe ... maybe Poland
    There you go, probably made some good coin off that image.

I think it's saying it can protect you like a Pit bull. But regardless it's tacky and should not be advertised like that.

Images
    All images of PB type dogs mfg use are drawings, not an actual pic. Here's an example:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T25995842.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	48048

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    Directly from Walgreens via their FB page

"Hi Laura Duckworth, I apologize that the sale of this item in one of our stores has upset our customers in any way. I can $#@!ure you that this is not a corporately purchased item, but a local buy. We have reached out to the store carrying the item and they have since pulled the item and returned it to the vendor. Thank you and be well."

http://www.facebook.com/Walgreens/app_335327513213728

Right side of the page, might have to scroll a bit but not much. Bolding is mine.
    But I also read that that's a general message they send to anyone that posts a message about being upset about anything.

Now I BELIEVE an individual store can only purchase product if the store is a franchise. I do believe all stores are directly related to corporate and not franchises so they're not able to just purchase items to sell in their own stores.

Images
    I think a store of that size would be corporate, probably trying to underplay the problem and do damage control.

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    But I also read that that's a general message they send to anyone that posts a message about being upset about anything.

Now I BELIEVE an individual store can only purchase product if the store is a franchise. I do believe all stores are directly related to corporate and not franchises so they're not able to just purchase items to sell in their own stores.
    I disagree. I live within 6 miles of..no joke...wait for it...5 Walgreen's stores. A few of them don't participate in a certain prescription program tat is federally funded to help people without insurance afford necessary meds. When I called the 4 stores closest to me they told me they don't participate and are not required to because they aren't corporate stores. Ended up having to go to the 5th and farthest store for my blood pressure meds because it was literally a $70 difference and worth a 6 mile drive once a month lol.

When I have been in those stores closest to me (who operate during various hours making me have to go to one in the day and a different one at night) grabbing cough medicine or what not they are always selling things by the front register that I don't see in the other store I have to buy my meds from because that store is corporate and participates in the federal prescription program. So, I personally know of at least 4 stores in my area alone that aren't corporate and do purchase random crap to sell on the shelves when you're on the way to checkout.

Images

Ok. It's not really an "agree or disagree" thing. I actually looked this up yesterday and could not find a definitive answer one way or another (which is why I said that I thought they might be..). If they're franchised, then they are. If they're not, then they're not.

Yup. So that means the FB response could be totally on the up and up or it could be they are just doing damage control and hope it doesn't come back up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast