pumpkin for constipation

So after our soft stool issues this morning, I gave Indy some rice with her kibble to help with that...which seems to have done the opposite and now she's constipated and hasn't pooped most of the day. So I went out and picked up a can of pumpkin (not the pie filling stuff) and gave her some. I was just wondering how long it takes for it to start and help?

Quote Originally Posted by firedrake13 View Post
    So after our soft stool issues this morning, I gave Indy some rice with her kibble to help with that...which seems to have done the opposite and now she's constipated and hasn't pooped most of the day. So I went out and picked up a can of pumpkin (not the pie filling stuff) and gave her some. I was just wondering how long it takes for it to start and help?
    Whatever the cause, diarrhea or constipation lasting more than 24-36 hours requires vet care. So, I would not worry until tomorrow sometime.
    I would not give Indy anything other than her regular kibble, at this point and just wait and see. You do want to keep feeding though, so "things" keep moving along.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBingo View Post
    Whatever the cause, diarrhea or constipation lasting more than 24-36 hours requires vet care. So, I would not worry until tomorrow sometime.
    I would not give Indy anything other than her regular kibble, at this point and just wait and see. You do want to keep feeding though, so "things" keep moving along.
    Yeah, I just gave her, her normal kibble, and normal serving of it for dinner tonight, and have been making sure she has lots of water too. But she just seems uncomfortable, probably because she hasn't gone...I just wanted to help ease that a bit you know?

I'd definitely wait until tomorrow. If you go messing with her digestive system too much it will take longer to get back on track and cause unnecessary discomfort. You're such a new Mom!!! :D
    Give it a little time to work itself out. (no pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
    I'd definitely wait until tomorrow. If you go messing with her digestive system too much it will take longer to get back on track and cause unnecessary discomfort. You're such a new Mom!!! :D
    Give it a little time to work itself out. (no pun intended)
    Heh, I know I am such a new mom!! And I worry like one too! Yeah, I'll leave it be for now. I'm sure she will be fine. Probably waking me up all night to go out and poop too. :rolleyes:

hehe...ok so we just went out...and she pooped!! lol I never thought I would be so happy to have my dog poop!! anyway it wasn't soft or anything so yay I can stop worrying so much now!

Yeah for poops!!

What a good girl, Indy !!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeoestreich View Post
    Yeah for poops!!
    This is exactly how I feel!!! Loki will hold it for days (or go in the house) because he refuses to go on the leash or run line. I was a bad mommy and let him run loose when he was little. Now that he's big, I'm retraining him to only go outside when leashed or on the run. He pooped while I was walking him on the leash for the first time the other day. We were so excited! He felt so much better that he jumped up on my legs and bounced off doing circles! I've had that nasty long bruise almost a week now.:(

Anyway, I'm happy to hear Indy's feeling better!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    This is exactly how I feel!!! Loki will hold it for days (or go in the house) because he refuses to go on the leash or run line. I was a bad mommy and let him run loose when he was little. Now that he's big, I'm retraining him to only go outside when leashed or on the run. He pooped while I was walking him on the leash for the first time the other day. We were so excited! He felt so much better that he jumped up on my legs and bounced off doing circles! I've had that nasty long bruise almost a week now.:(

Anyway, I'm happy to hear Indy's feeling better!
    Hehe I probably worried to much about it, and she would have been fine with out me trying to "help". I'm such a new puppy mommy I can't help but worry over everything! But yeah once she pooped she just took off at a run trying to do zoomies on the leash!