1. Am I being too rough with my puppy?

When I take her out on walks she sometimes tries going back home even when she is in need of the excercise so I pull her & tug her by her harness. Sometimes I pull her and make her walk while she resists if she keeps being stubborn. And occasionally she starts attacking me trying to bite my hands and feet so I try giving her toys to distract but she keeps going at me, so I grabbed her by the skin of her neck and harness and lifted her and put her away from me so I could go on my bed and avoid her, or sometimes I'll try pinning her down by her neck skin then letting go and holding her more gentler till I can find a toy for her to get distracted by. I hope I make sense, I'm trying to explain as best I can.

Images
    Uh, yeah it does sound like you are being rough on her. Stop tugging her by the harness, you can end up hurting her. And, what you are doing when she is biting is not good. She is just going to bite you back if you keep pinning her down and that can cause major problems down the road. If she has poor leash manners, get her into obedience cl$#@!.

3. Well what would be some tips to help me out. Cus I get even more stressed when I'm being rough on her cus I really don't want to be.

Images
    You can try NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) with her. Or do obedience cl$#@!. But just try to be more gentle about it. Puppies can be a handful, but you should be gentle as possible with them so you don't end up having your dog scared crapless of you.

5. Eh she's far from scared of me & I don't want her to be. But to be honest pinning her down is my last resort once she starts becoming too much. I try to get her in her crate mainly if her toys or bully sticks don't entertain her. Or I'll get her "bed" which has become another toy and try blocking myself with it trying to get her to use her energy on that instead of me lol. I've got so many battle scars because of her lol. I get worried when I get angry and use her harness for me to pull her away from me cus I really don't want that to hurt her. But yea that makes sense. I'm trying to clear my mind and make a more organized training process for her.

Dogs are alot like people, if someone pins you down, more then likly, your going to feel the need to fight back as many dogs do. quit pinning your dog down as this is only causeing her to bite harder and struggle more.
    "NEVER FIGHT YOUR DOG AS YOU WILL ALWAYS LOSE"
    Training a puppy or a dog is not about being the 'boss" or being "in charge" its about teaching your dog what is and is not acceptible behavior. by showing them and being consistant. if your puppy is biting you, it is because she has not gotten the message clearly enough that biting is unacceptible, if what your dooing makes it worse "she struggles and trys to bite at me" it means shes not understanding that method and you should find somthing else and work more slowly with her.

she doesnt enjoy walking? dont make her walk more then she wants, you dont say how old she is but puppies should never be forced to walk, puppies should not be forced to excercise as its bad for there growing joints. practice in your yard useing a toy or some treats and everytime she puts on the brakes use a toy or a treat to lure her, praise her for following you.
    my now 6 month old pup was a dragger, she hated to be on a lead and would plant her feet the second we were out the door, so in the yard i would call her, crouch down, grab a favorite toy, some treats and lure her to come, once she began coming towards me walking backwards i would pick up my pace while crouching and praiseing, let her catch me and love up on her then do it again everyday. then, one day all of a sudden she LOVED to walk, she loved it so much she woulndt just walk she had to RUN so that turned into teaching her to walk on a loose lead instead of walking period.
    she will never want to walk if its not enjoyable expereince for her. make it as enjoyable as possible with praise, treats,play and toys and even hugs and cuddles.

as for her biteing and nipping you, i have a feeling you try wrestling her away from you, pushing her back, holding her back, running away from her?
    all of those things is almost like doggy langue for 'hey! i wanna play! wrestle with me! mouth me! chew on me!"
    though it may not seem like it to you, puppies and dogs play with eachother by wrestling, pushing eachother,pinning eachother o the ground, running away from eachother so all those things is saying to your puppy "play with me" even yelling or saying 'NO!" loudly can be misinterpreted as a playful bark or growl.

with puppies i always do my best to be quiet and calm and get right to the point. 'i dont want to play, im not going to play back"
    if im petting a puppy and it begins to nibble my hands i will GENTLY pull my fingers into a fist so she cannot bite my fingers, if she keeps mouthing my fist i GENTLY take my other hand and tuck her lips under and cover her teeth and pull her off, this way if she tries nipping my hands while i pull her mouth off she will bite her own lips instead saving me my fingers. i do this over, and over, and over and over and over again in one sitting, i dont jump up and yell "KNOCK IT OFF!" i dont flail my hands around playing 'keep away" with my own fingers, i dont jerk my hands back or shove her away because all of these things encourges her to chase or become excited.
    i stay calm and deliberate and pretty soon, its not very much fun trying to chew on you so then grab a toy to pop into the pups mouth, WAY more fun!

Puppies are alot like babies, they become frustrated when they cannot do somthing htey really want to do.so just like babies they bite, kick,make alot of noise and struggle. its OUR job to not give in and to not JOIN in!

Images
    Well if you keep doing that, she can become scared of you. Here are some stickies for you to read:

Training and Socializing Puppies

NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) : Nothing in Life is Free

Leader and Follower Tips by DRGNRDR

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xchairity_casex View Post
    Dogs are alot like people, if someone pins you down, more then likly, your going to feel the need to fight back as many dogs do. quit pinning your dog down as this is only causeing her to bite harder and struggle more.
    Training a puppy or a dog is not about being the 'boss" or being "in charge" its about teaching your dog what is and is not acceptible behavior. by showing them and being consistant. if your puppy is biting you, it is because she has not gotten the message clearly enough that biting is unacceptible, if what your dooing makes it worse "she struggles and trys to bite at me" it means shes not understanding that method and you should find somthing else and work more slowly with her.

she doesnt enjoy walking? dont make her walk more then she wants, you dont say how old she is but puppies should never be forced to walk, puppies should not be forced to excercise as its bad for there growing joints. practice in your yard useing a toy or some treats and everytime she puts on the brakes use a toy or a treat to lure her, praise her for following you.
    my now 6 month old pup was a dragger, she hated to be on a lead and would plant her feet the second we were out the door, so in the yard i would call her, crouch down, grab a favorite toy, some treats and lure her to come, once she began coming towards me walking backwards i would pick up my pace while crouching and praiseing, let her catch me and love up on her then do it again everyday. then, one day all of a sudden she LOVED to walk, she loved it so much she woulndt just walk she had to RUN so that turned into teaching her to walk on a loose lead instead of walking period.
    she will never want to walk if its not enjoyable expereince for her. make it as enjoyable as possible with praise, treats,play and toys and even hugs and cuddles.

as for her biteing and nipping you, i have a feeling you try wrestling her away from you, pushing her back, holding her back, running away from her?
    all of those things is almost like doggy langue for 'hey! i wanna play! wrestle with me! mouth me! chew on me!"
    though it may not seem like it to you, puppies and dogs play with eachother by wrestling, pushing eachother,pinning eachother o the ground, running away from eachother so all those things is saying to your puppy "play with me" even yelling or saying 'NO!" loudly can be misinterpreted as a playful bark or growl.

with puppies i always do my best to be quiet and calm and get right to the point. 'i dont want to play, im not going to play back"
    if im petting a puppy and it begins to nibble my hands i will GENTLY pull my fingers into a fist so she cannot bite my fingers, if she keeps mouthing my fist i GENTLY take my other hand and tuck her lips under and cover her teeth and pull her off, this way if she tries nipping my hands while i pull her mouth off she will bite her own lips instead saving me my fingers. i do this over, and over, and over and over and over again in one sitting, i dont jump up and yell "KNOCK IT OFF!" i dont flail my hands around playing 'keep away" with my own fingers, i dont jerk my hands back or shove her away because all of these things encourges her to chase or become excited.
    i stay calm and deliberate and pretty soon, its not very much fun trying to chew on you so then grab a toy to pop into the pups mouth, WAY more fun!

Puppies are alot like babies, they become frustrated when they cannot do somthing htey really want to do.so just like babies they bite, kick,make alot of noise and struggle. its OUR job to not give in and to not JOIN in!
    Great post!!!

9. Quote Originally Posted by xchairity_casex View Post

Thats a good post, Im really just trying to be the best owner I can. I originally tried to get her to sit when she acted all crazy but that didnt work. But yea mostly I tried pushing her away, or wrestling her away, or holding her then getting her distracted by a toy, then going up to my bed to avoid her. So I basically did everything u described, but she doesnt understand. I think its just pent up energy from when she tries not to walk, I mean sometimes shell walk but if shes bent on not walking its a hassle. But treats is a good way to get her to walk with you?

treats, toys, cuddles, ANYTHING that motivates your dog to move forward TOWARDS you. as of right now she could be turned off from walking by it not being very fun experience with you. so you need to turn it into all fun! just start in the yard a few times per day so being on a lead is an enjoyible experience in itself. get a long line if you can and run from her so she has to chase you then reward her from coming to you walk backward and give her some good eye contact with a smile crouch down to her level a little so shes encouraged to follow you, grab a squeeky toy and have her try to grab it while you walk holding it in front of her face and let her have it when shes doing a good job as a reward. pretty soon walking will be a wonderful expereince for her instead of a boreing one.

If a puppy lays on the brakes, I may give them a little tug that is instantly released as soon as they move in my direction. Dragging, and a little tug are two different things though. If a puppy is really balking I may get down to their level, kneeling down and encourage them in a high pitched, fun voice, all puppies will come galloping to a squealey; "Puuuuuppy!", never met a little one that doesn't!

Puppies can be extremely frustrating. IMO this is a great crate usage. For the times that you just want to relax for a minute, crate. This prevents puppy from chewing on you, or other prized possessions and making you frustrated. Crate, relax, and then come back to it.

I have gotten physical with puppies, rarely, but some of driven me to the point of a little scruff grab or a gentle puppy pin if they're wildn' out with those needle sharp teeth and we all need a moment to regroup but I've found, working with people and their puppies, and NOT to sound like Cesar Milan, that often people correct puppies physically, with an exciting, somewhat unstable energy (really not meaning to sound like CM here). It's hard to explain in type, in person I show people what two different types of corrections feel like, one, done in frustration and anger, and one done calmly with a specific purpose. Kind of like kids, you don't get into a screaming match with a 5 year old, you lay down the lay and you enforce it.

Don't get into a screaming match with your puppy. Don't let your puppy see the cards in your hand. If you're frustrated and slappin' the $#@! out of puppy, the puppy s' got your cards.

I think if you could swing it, going to a basic puppy cl$#@! might do you some good! A lot can be learned on the internet, but if you're at a loss and looking for help, sometimes the best help is first hand :)

Re: Am I being too rough with my puppy?

Puppies can be frustrating, but think of it this way, would you treat a human baby that way? Puppies are no different. They just want to have fun and satisfy you! Teach your puppy how to satisfy you because the puppy gets satisfaction out of knowing your paying attention to it. So teach your puppy the proper way to walk/behave and trust me you will be happy in the end that you taught it the right way rather than having a problem later on because you were being too aggressive.
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Drebropurp View Post
    Well what would be some tips to help me out. Cus I get even more stressed when I'm being rough on her cus I really don't want to be.
    This may sound like mumbo jumbo, but it's recommended quite often and is working for me; Try the walk away method. not while walking, but at home when she's biting while you play with her. as soon as she bites too hard, make a loud noise (yelp, OUCH!, NO!) and/or slap your hands together to make a loud attention getting noise and then just simply get up and walk away and completely ignore her for 5 or 10 minutes. It will take time as with anything, but my boy eventually learned that if he wants to play with me he has to be gentle. FYI, my boy was almost out of control with biting and would bite harder and get more aggressive with it when I would man handle him (grabbing, pinning, pushing away, etc. NO HITTING)

I agree that a lot of things turn into games with a puppy, so taking away the fun will often move toward ending the behavior. Example- a puppy won't come when I call it so I start trying to chase it and catch it. Now we're playing puppy tag and it could last forever. To top it all off pup will remember the game and repeat it next time. Same thing with the rough play, like was already said.

Images
    Positive reinforcement is the best way to train your puppy. Always carry a zip lock bag with treats or dog food for when he does what you want. Mine is 5 months and carry treats or food everywhere i take him. Your dog is willing to learn anything you want it to do. You are the teacher.