Images

Can i give my dog PeptoBismol?

My girl Nala has a bit of an upset stomach. she has very loose stool and has thrown up twice. Someone told me that I could give her a little PeptoBismol. Is this true and if so how much would I give her? If not what can I give her. She is 15months old and weighs about 47lbs. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. A little pepto would be fine. You might want to call your vet to ask how much to give. :)

Although Pepto is touted as safe, it contains aspirin and aspirin can actually upset the GI tract. For that reason, we (our clinic) do not recommend it. And it is a NO for all cats btw!

I would personally recommend Kaopectate or Immodium.

For a vomiting dog, the best thing to do is withhold food for 24 hours and liquid for 4 hours. After 4 hours, you can put down a tiny amount of water with a few ice cubes and let your dog drink that way. If he continues to vomit, take him to the vet. If he handles the liquid fine, slowly increase the amount. After 24 hours, offer him his food again, however divide it into 3 feedings for that next 24 hour period. You don't want to bombard his system.

Vomit and diarrhea actually have their purpose (as horrific as it is) and that is to rid the body of something that is harming it. So don't jump to soon on the bandwagon to fix it within the next hour. ;)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    Although Pepto is touted as safe, it contains aspirin and aspirin can actually upset the GI tract. For that reason, we (our clinic) do not recommend it. And it is a NO for all cats btw!

I would personally recommend Kaopectate or Immodium.

For a vomiting dog, the best thing to do is withhold food for 24 hours and liquid for 4 hours. After 4 hours, you can put down a tiny amount of water with a few ice cubes and let your dog drink that way. If he continues to vomit, take him to the vet. If he handles the liquid fine, slowly increase the amount. After 24 hours, offer him his food again, however divide it into 3 feedings for that next 24 hour period. You don't want to bombard his system.

Vomit and diarrhea actually have their purpose (as horrific as it is) and that is to rid the body of something that is harming it. So don't jump to soon on the bandwagon to fix it within the next hour. ;)
    I did not know that....may I ask what it does?

huskylove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fearlessknight View Post
    I did not know that....may I ask what it does?
    It keels them dead.

:D Seriously, cats can't metabolize salicylates (aspirin), so it can be lethal.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by huskylove View Post
    It keels them dead.

:D Seriously, cats can't metabolize salicylates (aspirin), so it can be lethal.
    Oh...thanks...I did not know that....I know NOTHING about cats. :D 'cept I hate'm!