Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New YorK
    Posts
    8
    Images
    18

    Can i give my dog PeptoBismol?

    My girl Nala has a bit of an upset stomach. she has very loose stool and has thrown up twice. Someone told me that I could give her a little PeptoBismol. Is this true and if so how much would I give her? If not what can I give her. She is 15months old and weighs about 47lbs. Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. A little pepto would be fine. You might want to call your vet to ask how much to give. :)

  3. #3
    Although Pepto is touted as safe, it contains aspirin and aspirin can actually upset the GI tract. For that reason, we (our clinic) do not recommend it. And it is a NO for all cats btw!

    I would personally recommend Kaopectate or Immodium.

    For a vomiting dog, the best thing to do is withhold food for 24 hours and liquid for 4 hours. After 4 hours, you can put down a tiny amount of water with a few ice cubes and let your dog drink that way. If he continues to vomit, take him to the vet. If he handles the liquid fine, slowly increase the amount. After 24 hours, offer him his food again, however divide it into 3 feedings for that next 24 hour period. You don't want to bombard his system.

    Vomit and diarrhea actually have their purpose (as horrific as it is) and that is to rid the body of something that is harming it. So don't jump to soon on the bandwagon to fix it within the next hour. ;)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Above most
    Posts
    4,153
    Images
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    Although Pepto is touted as safe, it contains aspirin and aspirin can actually upset the GI tract. For that reason, we (our clinic) do not recommend it. And it is a NO for all cats btw!

    I would personally recommend Kaopectate or Immodium.

    For a vomiting dog, the best thing to do is withhold food for 24 hours and liquid for 4 hours. After 4 hours, you can put down a tiny amount of water with a few ice cubes and let your dog drink that way. If he continues to vomit, take him to the vet. If he handles the liquid fine, slowly increase the amount. After 24 hours, offer him his food again, however divide it into 3 feedings for that next 24 hour period. You don't want to bombard his system.

    Vomit and diarrhea actually have their purpose (as horrific as it is) and that is to rid the body of something that is harming it. So don't jump to soon on the bandwagon to fix it within the next hour. ;)
    I did not know that....may I ask what it does?

  5. #5
    huskylove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fearlessknight View Post
    I did not know that....may I ask what it does?
    It keels them dead.


    :D Seriously, cats can't metabolize salicylates (aspirin), so it can be lethal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Above most
    Posts
    4,153
    Images
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by huskylove View Post
    It keels them dead.


    :D Seriously, cats can't metabolize salicylates (aspirin), so it can be lethal.
    Oh...thanks...I did not know that....I know NOTHING about cats. :D 'cept I hate'm!

Similar Threads

  1. Think I am going to give it another go
    By CelticKarma in forum Raw Food Diets
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 09:51 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 08:35 AM
  3. I don't want to give my dog up but....
    By mmgsport in forum General Dog Discussions
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 07:01 AM
  4. I have to give him up.
    By Dunk29 in forum General Dog Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 09:43 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 10:20 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

how much pepto bismol can i give my dog

can you give a pitbull pepto bismol

can i give my pitbull pepto bismol

can i give my pitbull pepto

can i give my 5 month old puppy pepto bismol

what can I give my pitbull for an upset stomach

can you give pitbulls pepto bismol

can i give my dog pepto bismol for upset stomachpitbull diarrhea can i give him pepto bismolcan i give my pitbull pepto bismocan i give a 3 month old puppy pepto bismolcan i give my pitbull pepto bismol for diarrheapepto for ten pound dogcan a ten month old dog have pepto bismolcan pitbulls have pepto bismolcan you give a 3 month old puppy peptohow much pepto bismol to give my dogcan i give my dog pepto bismolhow much pepto bismol to give a 80 lbdogis it safe to give my 6 wk old puppy pepto for diarrheacan i give my dog pepto bismol for diarrheaCan you give a pitbull pepto bismol for diarrheacan a pitbull have pepto bismalcan you give a 9 week old puppy pepto bismolpitbull pepto bismolcan you give a six week old puppy pepto bizmocan i give my 9 wk old puppy pepto bismolhow much pepto bismol can i give my 12 week old puppyhow much pepto can I give my pit bullwhat can i give a 12 to 18 week old pup for diarrheahow much pepto bismol can I give my pitbullhow much liquid pepto do i give a 10lb puppycan i give my 18 month old pepto bismolcan i give my 6 month old dog pepto bismolhow to give dog liquid pepto bismol

Bookmarks