Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilated Eyes

Dilated Eyes

So the search isn't working for me, so sorry if this has been answered before.

So, about a month ago, I met a precious Bully mix at a dog fair and he was just cute as could be and he was being kept by a very small rescue. They don't even have a name, it's a pet groomer/pet hotel business that puts rescue dogs in the extra pens. I talked with them and they said how shorthanded they are with giving socialization to the rescues and the THREE(3!!!!) litters of pit bull-type puppies they had there. I noticed Duke(the bully mix) had a dilated eye. Just one of them was dilated. I brought it to the girls attention and she said she hadn't noticed it before.

So anyways, fast forward a month to yesterday and while I was in town I decided to stop by and see if I could help them out. I go to see Duke first, and both of his eyes are dilated, but it wasn't super well lit. But I also noticed that while I was within inches of him, he would look right at me. But if I was farther than a foot away, he would just look in my general direction.

Then I take him to the play area and he walks very close to the ground. And touching my leg as we walk (in a heel). I tried throwing a tennis ball and he had no idea that I had thrown something. Didn't even track it as I was moving it about 3 feet away from him. But would chase it if I rolled it near him. Very responsive to mine and my mother's voice. Didn't want to go more than 10 feet from us. But very loving and trusting. He let me make scary noises and mess with his teeth, gums, paws.

Anyways, I guess my thing is I want to know what's wrong with him. They told me that they planned on taking him to the vet when I talked to them after seeing him the second time. But they should have taken him a month ago! I don't want this sweet dog to go on without vet care that could be helping him.

From my super-effective internet research, I found that the choices are pretty much Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) or a brain tumor. I ruled out brain trauma because it seems to have gotten worse.

I want to know if I should get him out of that crappy situation (he shares a kennel with another dog and there are no beds. Just concrete with pee all over it.) and to a vet. I don't know if they will actually take him anytime soon, but from what I've gathered, if it's PRA, he could have gotten medicine that would have slowed it down. And that ticks me off. He's a sweetheart and he deserves to be treated for any illness he may have. But I don't live there, so I've told my mom to go there as often as possible and keep asking if they've taken him to the vet yet. She fell in love with him so I'm hoping she stays with it.

I can't have a dog right now or else I would have snatched him up immediately. If I got him, it would have to be temporary until I found him a home that could handle a blind dog. Let alone a blind bully breed.

So, in Summary, for those of you in the vet field, do you know what he may have? Can you tell without seeing him and how he acts? I meant to take a video. I should have so you guys could see the way he ran/walked. And is his need for a vet as serious as I think it is?

Here's a picture

couldn't get a good shot of his eyes.

Sorry that post is really rambley. I just want to know if the issues I'm seeing are neglectful enough for me to har$#@! these people into taking him to a vet or letting me do it.

Can't really see anything in the picture.

That said, dilated pupils are a symptom of a number of issues. It is impossible to say what the issue is without having a vet examine the eye. The dog needs to see a vet. It is possible the condition is reversible. Unfortunately, if it goes untreated, it may not be and the dog could go blind.

Images
    Yes, it is imperative the dog sees a vet asap.

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. In my experience, problems with the eyes always warrant a vet visit. I'll bother them about it this week and if nothing gets done, I may do something. But I'm my opinion, it is neglect to have a dog with a problem that needs vet care and not providing it.

keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitifull View Post
    keep us posted!
    I'll try! It's hard to keep tabs 4 hours away, but I have recruited my mom to check in on them.

that makes me so mad :( it sounds like the dog is losing site (temporarily or permanently only a vet would know) because of the description you gave of how the dog acted when you took it out, try to keep us posted, I would say if they don't get the dog in the between the time now and the next time your mom goes in, have your mom call AC because a month is far to long and any longer is just neglect, I hate calling but I would rather a sweet dog be put down than neglected.

I 'think' head injuries can cause dilated eye(s)... ? I hope he's ok!

Saw this on craigslist today:

I sure hope this means that they took him to the vet. Because if they didn't, they had better advertise that he needs vet care ASAP. I would be so upset with them if they pawned him off on some unknowing person. I'm about to do some snooping and some emailing.

Oh geez, I think I jumped the gun. I don't think that's him. I don't think he had that white on his neck. Now I feel silly. That is the organization that has him though. I recognize those other dogs. I'll still email them though.

Went to visit this sweet boy again.... Still hasn't been to the vet. Instead of throwing rocks at them, I told them that I was going to take him to the vet next time I was in town, which will be in less than a month. So we'll see.

He seems to have gotten used to his less than stellar eyesight but his pupils are still constantly dilated, even outside.

Ignore my giggling...

How old do they think this dog is?

Any sort of trauma to the head area can cause eye problems. Theres also a few other things than can cause it, glaucoma, etc.. which would need to be seen by a vet anyway. PRA a vet will not be able to fully diagnose far as i know, it needs to be sent to a lab to test for it, which will cost about $150+. its irreversible though.

They say they think hes around 2 maybe 3

Quote Originally Posted by brindlexpitt View Post

Any sort of trauma to the head area can cause eye problems. Theres also a few other things than can cause it, glaucoma, etc.. which would need to be seen by a vet anyway. PRA a vet will not be able to fully diagnose far as i know, it needs to be sent to a lab to test for it, which will cost about $150+. its irreversible though.
    http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_prcd_pra.html
    http://www.optigen.com/opt9_price.html $195

The sad part about this is that had this been taken care of, if this was glaucoma related or intraocular pressure related, if it was something reversible, it is far too late now and the likelihood of reversal is slim.

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    The sad part about this is that had this been taken care of, if this was glaucoma related or intraocular pressure related, if it was something reversible, it is far too late now and the likelihood of reversal is slim.
    That's what I was afraid of.. What a shame.

Shame on them for leaving this undiagnosed/treated.... !!

Quote Originally Posted by brindlexpitt View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_prcd_pra.html
    http://www.optigen.com/opt9_price.html $195

The vet appointment is coming up soon. Is there anything specific I can ask for? I'm not going to spend a whole bunch of money on this dog, I just want to find out what's wrong so I can work on finding him a good home. Is PRA even common in the breed?

Ask about what we said. PRA, glaucoma, physical damage, etc. personally though, the damage is done and irreversible at this age. If its PRA though, they have treatments that slow it, but the new owner basically needs to be in the know. I know a few blind dogs that live quite a normal life, they just need to become accustomed to it. As for PRA being common.. I can't honestly answer that. Most owners/breeders don't notice the signs until later in life, and then they and their vet $#@!ume its age related.

Here are some out of focus pictures of him this morning.

I couldn't get an appointment with the vet I want until tuesday. So he'll hang out here until then. But if any of you know anyone in the Southeast that is looking for an AmStaff/Bully that will potentially be completely blind soon, send them my way! I'd love to find him a home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast