1. Question Pitbull Yorkie Mix Information

My daughter wants to adopt one and me being the "grandmother" wants to find out as much as I can. She needs to get back to the owner soon. Does anyone have or know about this mix?

Its a "Porkie"! LOL

3. Do you have one?

What an odd mix, I guess it's not impossible though.

First of all Welcome to PBC.

Second of all. You are dealing with two terrier breeds. Every Yorkie I have been around has been down right neurotic. Mind you a lot of that has to do with lack of exercise, lack of basic training, and a good portion of the time bad breeding. However they are highly intelligent, relatively easy to train, and a well trained Yorkshire Terrier is a pleasure to be around. They are a very high energy little dog but when exercise properly they do fine. As for the American Pit Bull Terrier. They are a High Energy Terrier breed. Very loyal to their humans. They are strong willed and need a firm handler. I have never met a more people loving breed. However something to keep in mind especially if this dog is not going to be the only dog is that the APBT is genetically prone to DA (Dog Aggression). Does this mean this particulardog won't get along with other dogs, no, but it does mean that there is that possibility. Both breeds you are dealing with are very intelligent breeds. They need physical and Mental exercise and lots of it. If they get bored, they will get destructive. My advice for you is learn everything you can about the two breeds and expect this dog to have any of the traits of either breed.

Good luck

Is this a puppy from a backyard breeder or a adult that's being rehomed? I'm $#@!uming it's not an actual "adoption" since you mentioned the owner. If it's an adult they should know what the dog is like, $#@!ume some dog aggression may be possible even if not showing now, both breeds are terriers. I personally am not a fan of Yorkies because all the ones I know are yappy and not housetrained, hopefully the dog takes after the APBT half lol.

6. Thank you for all the info! My daughter has 2 cats and wants a dog. I did have a gut feeling this mix might be too much for her! She lives close by and I want to help her make the right decision. She has always wanted a pit bull terrier and I think if she's going for a mix, it should be a mellower mix! I will give her this info and I know she will be happy I found this forum.

7. Ít's from a backyard breeder and it's a puppy. I think she would be better with a APBT myself. She's at work now and I told her I would try to find out as much as I could, since there is only 1 out of the 3 puppies left. This is actually the first forum I ever joined and I want to thank everyone for your quick responses! I am new to all this and to top it all I am getting used to a new computer.

eeeehhh....BYBs

MY opinion? Keep on walkin'!!

I bet she'd be happy with an American Bully, just something to look into :)

10. I definitey will, your dog is adorable!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
    I bet she'd be happy with an American Bully, just something to look into :)
    I second this.
    Tell your daughter to look else where. I know how exciting it is when one is looking for a dog to join the family. That being said, you must make sure it is the right one.
    Also, there are many wonderful dogs in shelters. And these type of dogs often show up at shelters.

Let us know how it works out.

Best

Images

Pitbull Yorkie Mix Information

I think your daughter would do terrible with a apbt. They are a lot of dog and a lot of responsibility, that being said their are plenty of mutts in shelters and American bullies to get her started instead of jumping into the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by SBTlove View Post
    What an odd mix, I guess it's not impossible though.

First of all Welcome to PBC.

Second of all. You are dealing with two terrier breeds. Every Yorkie I have been around has been down right neurotic. Mind you a lot of that has to do with lack of exercise, lack of basic training, and a good portion of the time bad breeding. However they are highly intelligent, relatively easy to train, and a well trained Yorkshire Terrier is a pleasure to be around. They are a very high energy little dog but when exercise properly they do fine. As for the American Pit Bull Terrier. They are a High Energy Terrier breed. Very loyal to their humans. They are strong willed and need a firm handler. I have never met a more people loving breed. However something to keep in mind especially if this dog is not going to be the only dog is that the APBT is genetically prone to DA (Dog Aggression). Does this mean this particulardog won't get along with other dogs, no, but it does mean that there is that possibility. Both breeds you are dealing with are very intelligent breeds. They need physical and Mental exercise and lots of it. If they get bored, they will get destructive. My advice for you is learn everything you can about the two breeds and expect this dog to have any of the traits of either breed.

Good luck
    I think this sums it up the best. I , just like others, would also love for her to adopt from a shelter or from a rescue. Maybe an older dog who's temperament and personality has $#@!essed to make sure it is a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tropical View Post
    Thank you for all the info! My daughter has 2 cats and wants a dog. I did have a gut feeling this mix might be too much for her! She lives close by and I want to help her make the right decision. She has always wanted a pit bull terrier and I think if she's going for a mix, it should be a mellower mix! I will give her this info and I know she will be happy I found this forum.
    If its a pup from a BYB, tell her to keep looking. She can find tons of great mixes at her local shelter. Also if she is wanting a Terrier breed, make sure she knows to never leave the dog loose alone with the cats. Terriers tend to have a pretty high prey drive.