Safeguard/Panacur (Fenbendazole) Dose for Dogs

I just recently typed up a document for the dosing and price comparison of fenbendazole dewormer. I figured I would share it here as some may find it very helpful. Remember, fenbendazole is an excellent wormer that can be used to treat the following parasites: roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms. It is also labeled for a type of tapeworm, but this is NOT the type of tapeworm dogs typically get. In order to treat the correct type of tapeworms (which are contracted from a dog eating fleas and NOT contagious from dog to dog) you will need a dewormer called praziquantel, which I will talk about in another thread.

Anyway, here is the document I created copied and pasted for you:

Panacur/Safeguard (Fenbendazole) Dosages for Dogs

The appropriate dosage of fenbendazole for dogs is 22.7 mg/lb.

A 35-pound dog would require 794.5 mg of fenbendazole per day for 3 days in a row
    (a total of 2383.5 mg)
    A 40-pound dog would require 908 mg per day (a total of 2724 mg)
    A 45-pound dog would require 1021.5 mg per day (a total of 3064.5 mg)
    A 50-pound dog would require 1135 mg per day (a total of 3405 mg)
    A 55-pound dog would require 1248.5 mg per day (a total of 3745.5 mg)

A 92 gm tube of equine Safeguard/Panacur dewormer contains a fenbendazole concentration of 10% (100 mg/g). Just as seen above, the dose is per day for 3 days in a row. Using this method with the paste will have the following dosages per weight of dog (numbers have been approximated for ease of calculation and administration:

35 lb = 8 grams of paste per day
    40 lb = 9 grams of paste per day
    45 lb = 10.25 grams of paste per day
    50 lb= 11.5 grams of paste per day
    55 lb = 12.5 grams of paste per day

This tube contains only 92 grams, so three 45-pound dogs can just barely be treated from the contents of one tube. If your dogs weigh more than this, one tube won’t be enough to treat all of them. If they weigh less, you will have some left over. Do the calculations as appropriate for your dogs’ weights. This tube of paste is a dial syringe made for horses so it can be difficult to get the exact amounts needed.

The 10% cattle and goat liquid suspension of Safeguard/Panacur has very similar dosing to the paste, one dose per day for 3 days in a row, except it is in liquid form, which makes things very easy. You can use a standard type syringe that measures in cc or mL, as these units are equivalent (i.e. 1 cc = 1 mL). The dosing is as follows:

35 lb = 8 mL of liquid per day
    40 lb = 9 mL of liquid per day
    45 lb = 10.25 mL of liquid per day
    50 lb = 11.5 mL of liquid per day
    55 lb = 12.5 mL of liquid per day

The suspension is available in 125 mL bottles, 1 liter (1000 mL) bottles, and 1 gallon (3785 mL) bottles.
    A 125 mL bottle will treat approximately five 35-pound dogs, four 40-45-pound dogs, or three 50-55 -pound dogs. Of course, this is just a rough estimate to give you an idea of what one 125 mL bottle can treat.
    A liter can treat 41 35-pound dogs, 37 40-pound dogs, 32 45-pound dogs, 29 50-pound dogs, or 26 55-pound dogs… etc.
    A gallon can treat approximately 123 45-pound dogs… etc.

Cost Effectiveness (Price Comparisons of each formula type)

Prices used are from the Jeffers Pet website and are evaluated using the 45-pound dog just for sake of demonstration. These prices compare the Safeguard granules available for canines, the Safeguard equine paste, and the Safeguard cattle/goat suspension. Safeguard and Panacur are very similarly priced. These are the top two brands of fenbendazole commercially available.

Canine granules are:
    1 box of (3) 1 gram packets is $5.49
    1 box of (3) 2 gram packets is $7.49
    1 box of (3) 4 gram packets is $12.99
    A 45-pound dog would require 1 box of 1 gm packets and 1 box of 4 gm packets in order to receive the appropriate dose. This would cost $18.48 to treat ONE dog.

Horse paste tubes are:
    1 92 gram tube is $24.49.
    This tube is capable of treating three 45-pound dogs. This equals to a cost per treatment of $8.16 per dog.

Cattle/goat suspension bottles are:
    125 mL bottle is $17.95
    1 liter (1000 mL) bottle is $112.45
    1 gallon (3785 mL) bottle is $378.95
    A 125 mL bottle can treat four 45-pound dogs, which equals to a cost of $4.49 per dog. A liter bottle can treat 32 45-pound dogs, which equals to a cost of $3.52 per dog. A gallon bottle can treat 123 45-pound dogs, which equals to a cost of $3.09 per dog.

As you can see, it is much more cost effective to purchase the gallon of cattle/goat suspension. The least cost effective method of treatment are the canine granules.

Happy Bulldoggin'!!!

2. how dare you give medical advice lol and how dare you give tips and tricks for proper husbandy of your animals without referring to the vet first! lol just kidding lol.

this is good stuff right here. this should be a sticky....

were are the medical driven vet people(lililove) at for this one lol???????? oh yeah its only when i post things lol.

i dont use any other wormers myself besides the 1% ivermectin. its takes care of all worms except tapes with out the need for other wormers if dosed at .1cc/10 lbs and given monthly. you can treat (2) 50lb dogs 50 times each
    for $31.45 cents and it will take care of heartworms/mange mites/whips/hooks/rounds etc... except for tapes.
    Last edited by MisterbonzElirush; 10-24-2012 at 07:42 PM.

3. thats .31 cents per treatment.....

Great info. I agree....should be a stickie, especially since the search function never works for me

Images
    It is also a treatment for Giardia. However it has to be given for 5 days.

Another way to figure out dosing is if you use the liquid or paste and the concentration is 100mg/ml or gram. You use 1ml/cc or 1 gram per 4.4 pounds.

For dosing purposes 1gram equals 1 ml.

For a confirmed case of Rounds, whips, or hooks you should repeat the treatment in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia View Post
    It is also a treatment for Giardia. However it has to be given for 5 days.

Another way to figure out dosing is if you use the liquid or paste and the concentration is 100mg/ml or gram. You use 1ml/cc or 1 gram per 4.4 pounds.

For dosing purposes 1gram equals 1 ml.

For a confirmed case of Rounds, whips, or hooks you should repeat the treatment in 2 weeks.
    I had to do this for poor Pumpkin. 8 ml for 5 days.. then repeated in two weeks.

I buy the Safeguard from Tractor Supply and use it on both my dogs and my cat. The cat dosage is different, of course. 1 ml of the liquid per 4lbs of cat body weight for 3 days.

Images
    Cat dosages is the same as dogs. 50mg/kg which equals to 1ml per 4.4pds However the length for treatment in cats is 5 days not 3 days.

Thanks for helping me clarify things cynthia. :-)

Images
    Hell Eljay yours is awesome especially breaking down the cost. I know that took a lot of time and research.