1. HELP....new rescue growls at husband

So I rescued a male pit bull yesterday, he just turned 1. He has been neutered, he is very friendly and loving to me and my kids but he growls at my husband!! This morning when he got up for work he growled at him, my husband is a very big man, maybe he is intimidated by him? His owner was a slim asian man, my husband is neither of those LOL Any suggestions? Do you think it is just because everything and one is new to him? Or is this something that cant be fixed? I have another pit, we have had her since she was 8 weeks old, she is 10 and she never growled at anyone. Would appreciate any suggestions!

Lori

PS His name is Reptar, that was his name when we got him, havent thought of a new one yet.

The proper Pit Bull temperament is extremely people friendly. This dog could be wired wrong in the head or he could just be under socialized and scared.

Have you looked into trying a two week shutdown? Google it and give it some thought today. Also, since he is a rescue, have you thought about trying to have him evaluated by a professional trainer or behaviorist?

Images
    You just got him, he needs a shut down period, first.

Does he growl at him all the time or just when he acknowledges the dog?(like only when he is speaking, looking, and moving towards him.)

4. He doesnt growl at him all the time, when he first got home last night from work, and this morning he growled at him when he walked toward him and spoke to him.

5. Wont he feel punished if he has been allowed to play with my other dogs and run and have fun to being crated?

6. I wish I would have new about this yesterday, since I did bring him home, let him play with the other dogs, go for a walk etc did I blow it, or can I still revert to the 2 week plan?

7. ok, I am going to try this, he is already whining in the crate, It feels mean to me though with the other dogs out of a crate and him locked up, but I want to do this right, and what is best for him soooo any more suggestions would be appreciated. When he gets out of the crate on the 20 min intervals like suggested, do I play with him or just let him outside?? Whats best?

Just stick with it and don't let his whining get to you. Keep in mind that it's possible you'll need to crate and rotate in the future when both your dogs are mature IF they develop dog aggression. Getting them used to being separate and in crates is a good thing regardless of the shutdown.

From what I understand, in the beginning you want to keep things calm and establish a schedule. You can play with him, sure, just remember the ultimate goal is to get him used to your house, people and schedule.

9. Thanks! Glad I found this board. He is sleeping in his crate, he only whined for about 2 minutes :)

Images
    How does he act if he is out of the crate and your husband is just hanging around ignoring him. Has the hubby tried throwing treats towards him (obviously put the other dogs up for this) and seeing if the dog warms up and approaches your husband? If the dog approaches husband would remain very low key, turned sideways, no eye contact and let the dog approach on his own. If successful, I would do it over the course of several sessions until the dog got used to hubby, working up to hubby letting dog sniff the back of his hand and eventually giving him a scratch under the chin, or front of the chest area if the dog seems comfortable. Always let the dog decide when to end the interaction and don't push for too much too soon.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by loribug View Post
    He doesnt growl at him all the time, when he first got home last night from work, and this morning he growled at him when he walked toward him and spoke to him.
    Our girl barks and growls when my husband makes any move towards her, or talks to her, or when he first comes in the door. She is much better with him now since he was instructed to ignore her, not talk to her, not walk towards her. We are letting her make the first move. He is now allowed to give snacks and she comes up to him for snacks, with her it is fear aggression.

I think it is too early to tell with your dog.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
    How does he act if he is out of the crate and your husband is just hanging around ignoring him. Has the hubby tried throwing treats towards him (obviously put the other dogs up for this) and seeing if the dog warms up and approaches your husband? If the dog approaches husband would remain very low key, turned sideways, no eye contact and let the dog approach on his own. If successful, I would do it over the course of several sessions until the dog got used to hubby, working up to hubby letting dog sniff the back of his hand and eventually giving him a scratch under the chin, or front of the chest area if the dog seems comfortable. Always let the dog decide when to end the interaction and don't push for too much too soon.

Thanks for the suggestions, we will give them a try!

13. [QUOTE=#1 stunner;1272036]Our girl barks and growls when my husband makes any move towards her, or talks to her, or when he first comes in the door. She is much better with him now since he was instructed to ignore her, not talk to her, not walk towards her. We are letting her make the first move. He is now allowed to give snacks and she comes up to him for snacks, with her it is fear aggression.

I think it is too early to tell with your dog.

It seems like a fear aggression with Izzy too, my husband is a big man, I would be scared of him if I didnt know him LOL