Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help from the fish people!

My evil old sudan plated lizard passed away a couple weeks ago (RIP, Trogdor)
    So now we are left with an empty 29 long aquarium, and Evan wants to get some ciclids. I need a few pointers, as I am pretty clueless about keeping them. I need to know what would be a couple smaller, less aggressive species that would be good to have. Good light set ups, filters, best diet, pH levels, and what not. We've looked up a little general info, but any help or advice you guys can give would be much appreciated =)

This weekend we just bought a couple South American Ciclids. There are Afriacan ones and South American ones. So you have to pick with ones you want, because mixing is not good. We got a couple of Jack Demspy and some jeweled ones. (I think). At the pet store where we got ours, they said that they like the water temp to be around 78 degrees and we feed ours bloodworms and flakes.

aw im no big help. Have you checked into the fish forums out there? Ive heard there are some pretty neat ones.

Now the herp lover in me says get something cool like some newts or a mexican axolotl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My buddy had some of them.. I'll see what he used to use.. but his fish were crazy aggressive... but now he switched to a saltwater setup.. has a puffer fish and a moray eel.. very very cool!

There is such a HUGE number of Genus and species for ciclids, it's really hard to narrow down. They go from 4 -over 20 inches, and from placid to..well...Oscar-eat-anything-that-moves.

After all these years, I think we're both a little burned out on the herps, but I woulnd't put it past Evan to show up with a little tree monitor of some form or another. :D We took the short ones to the GA aquarium over 4th of July weekend, and they REALLY dig the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
    There is such a HUGE number of Genus and species for ciclids, it's really hard to narrow down. They go from 4 -over 20 inches, and from placid to..well...Oscar-eat-anything-that-moves.

After all these years, I think we're both a little burned out on the herps, but I woulnd't put it past Evan to show up with a little tree monitor of some form or another. :D We took the short ones to the GA aquarium over 4th of July weekend, and they REALLY dig the fish.

Burnt out? :eek:

I KNOW!!! I'm a terrible herper. :(
    We have just the one common red tail these days, since Trogdor passed on. I haven't had so few reptiles since my early 20's. There just isn't enough time in the day to deal with all the feeding and cage cleaning and water bowl scrubbing and light bulb changing and ARGGG! Having another daily task to add to the pile makes my head want to explode. When the munchkins are a little more self sufficient, I'm sure we'll restock. I thought maybe a couple fish would be easier (of course I could be WAY off the mark there)

My hubby wanted some, but my uncle, who was heavily into his aquarium and pond fish, said they can be hard to care for so he changed his mind and settled for beefing up our community tank instead. I know they can be aggressive, but there are species that will do well together. Crap, I use to have an awesome website stored on my old computer that was a wealth of info. on them and I can't remember it off hand. I'll see if I can find it again.

That would be awesome Thank you!
    Since the tank is on the smaller side, I may also try to steer him toward something else entirely. Something just as pretty that doesn't get as large and is less prone to being territorial. Open to suggestions!

10. Eeek, missed the part where you said your tank is 29 inches long, ours is 36 and we were debating on whether that would be enough room for them to stake out territories and have enough room between territories without arguing. In a tank that small it may start fights. There are more peaceful ones, like I said, and ones that can be kept in with other fish as well, I just can't find that website...I will search around for it more for ya...if I hit on it, I'd know it 'cause I can picture it in my head, I just can't remember the name- lol!

My uncle did say that they're a bitch to care for 'cause they can be picky about water conditions. We're running a 30-60 gall. filter in our 35 gall. tank right now, water temp. stays around 78. We test with the PH kit often. We also do partial water changes often. He said that would be good for Cichlids, but stressed that they're a pain in the $#@! so much we decided to beef up the community tank instead.

Have you had fish before? You'll have to cycle your tank for about a month before you can put fish in it to create the proper environment for them to live in.

Cichlids (Ciclids) can be a hard fish to start out with if you've never had them before. It's best to start out with simpler fish. Trust me though...some of the so called simple ones can be a bitch too. Neons and Cardinals (especially Cardinals) drop dead at the drop of a hat. Gouramis can be picky too and a lot of fish shops will sell them as community fish...a huge portion aren't and if you put two males together, you'll very likely end up with only one 'cause they'll fight to the death. Betas are gorgeous and can be kept in a community tank, but not with Gourami's, they're from the same family and will kill each other. Betas also may mistake fancy Guppies as other Betas and kill them too. Believe it or not, a Gourami can kick a Beta's $#@! though Beta's are known as fighting fish. Stay away from Spotted Perch...they'll wipe out your community tank. Trust me I know...Lol! Dwarf Puffers are comical. We have one in a community tank...no one will touch that little bugger with a 10 ft. pole...even the Spotted Perch wouldn't mess with him. They are aggressive, but one in a community tank (we've had up to 3 of them) don't usually mess with anything...at least not in my experience. Anymore than that though and there may be a problem.

Well ive been tempted to get myself some Cresties again soon. I dont need them, but oh how I love them!!! :D

Sorry, arrowhead...didn't mean 29 inches long, it's a 29 gallon, long and narrow. I'll definitely look into what you've posted and see what I can come up with.

Ellena, have you checked out pictus geckos? Evan kept them for years and loves them to bits!

Images
    Yeah, Cichlids. They are my favorit fish. We have had ours for about 3 years now. We started with two and now we have 32 in a 55 gallon tank. Way to many fish, and I am trying to give them away to good homes. I also have a couple of pregnant ones if anyone is interested. They keep matting but there is not enough room for the babies to survive.

I love cichlids and I do not feel that they are hard to manage. I have never had fish before and I would never get anything else. There are certain types of cichlids that are more dosile or more aggressive you just have to make sure that the aggressive ones do not eat allyour other fish. Jake Dempsy's, Jeweld Cichlids and Blood Parots are more aggressive. never mix the breeds. Always stick to African Cichlids or South American.

I also get a lot of help from, Cichlidforum.com

Hope this helps if you have anymore questions please let me know.

I hope you enjoy your fish.
    Pitgirl17

I was actually a "fish" person before i was a "pit" person...:cool: I have a 55g tank with Convict Cichlids, an Oscar and a Jack Demspey. I love em all, they all have their own weird traits about them. My convicts (called that because of there black stripes) are very hardy fish, however be careful if you get a female and males together because they mate like wild rabbits. Before you know it you could have an entire Penitentary on your hands. :eek:GOOD LUCK!!

Be sure to sterilize the tank first. I've heard the tanks that have previously housed reptiles can be poisonous to fish.

16. Well darn my uncle! :mad: My hubby really had his heart set on getting some Cichlids. I don't know, a lot of people say that Puffers are hard to care for, but we've never had any problem with them. My uncle did have the more picky species of them, however, so, in his defense, he might've thought that's what we were gonna go for too...who knows. Anyway, after I heard that Cichlids were picky about their environment, I looked into getting some Rainbows, but couldn't find any anywhere around here. There were plenty of Cichlids to choose from though.

Hmm, maybe I'll get another tank up and cycled and try some Cichlids after all then. I'm glad I got in on this thread...I learned something new and I can get my hubby the fishy of his dreams- lol!

I still can't find that daggum website! Oh yeah Galadriel...29 gallons is more like it, :)! You can have more fun with choosing fish for 29 gallons-:D!

I absolutely love pufferfish. The reason I don't have one is that they will eat and peck at pretty much everything and leave the options of other tank inhabitants and plants very limited.

18. Quote Originally Posted by BrodiesMom View Post
    I absolutely love pufferfish. The reason I don't have one is that they will eat and peck at pretty much everything and leave the options of other tank inhabitants and plants very limited.
    Actually, Dwarf Puffers, in my experience, haven't been a problem...the larger ones were, that is amongst themselves...they weren't allowed in the community tank. We've had 2 females and one male Dwarf at a time, in a 35 gall. tank, and they really haven't bothered anything at all, but for the ghost shrimp. The shrimp were suppose to be dinner anyway...though some escaped being on the menu (no big deal, they eat all the crap on the bottom). For a little fish though, they do have to have large territories between themselves, but we've found if we keep the numbers low, they've done good in our community tank. Our Dwarfs have never been witnessed pecking at anyone and all of my fancy Guppie's long fins and my Gourami's and Ghost Cat's "feelers" are intact. I don't know if they'd peck at live plants or not, I tried to grow some, but they never took so we just stuck with the plastic stuff. Maybe we've just been lucky...IDK, but I have read where others have said they had no problems outta their Dwarfs either. You should maybe try a Dwarf out and see how it goes. We have one left now...how he's lived so long I don't know, then again we had a Cherry Barb live almost 9 yrs. He just keeps to himself. I love their comical little faces.

My boyfriend and I thought about getting some of the dwarf puffers. We are inherting some complete 55 gallon setups so we are moving our cichilds (which at all our ghost shrimp :() to a bigger setup and getting one or two to go into our twenty gallon. So it is kind of nice to know that they are somewhat easy to take care of.

Ha ha My tank just has one african Cichlid named Malawi and 2 Mollie fry that have some how made some sort of peace treaty with malawi. (The mollies were left over after my community tank slowly died off of old age, the 2 babies where the survivers of a old female mollie). But there all getting along, malawi does his thing and my mollies just swim around without a care in the world, although its a pretty bare tank (as in limited fish) I dont mind having a large bright orange cichlid, hes so entertaining!!! I have a pea gravel bottom and lots of large rocks made into hide outs and hes HILARIOUS to watch after I move the decore' around he has to RE do it his way. He picks up EACH little tiny rock up with his mouth and shovels it outta his way! its cute!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast