Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Help!! My dog isn't able to walk using his front legs.

My 5 year old Pit Bull started limping about a week ago and now he can't walk using his front legs at all. First it was just his left leg but now he's not using either one. He falls right down whenever he tries to get up. He can move his front legs but is unable to support himself. He has no noticable injuries and doesn't see bothered by moving his front legs. He has been to the vet and they have given him carprofen 75mg to try for a week to see if that helps because they couldn't figure out what could be causing this. It's been 24 hours and there is no improvement. Has anyone else been through anything like this before? I am so scared that it could be something very serious so I'm going crazy trying to figure out what's wrong with him so he can get better. Any suggestions or solutions anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Images
    I have never been through this thankfully. If nothing improves in a few days I would have another vet take a look. Did your vet do xrays or feel around to see if anything seemed weird?

3. He just felt around to try to see if he was injured anywhere but nothing the vet did seem to cause him any pain. They said if he isn't better in a week to bring him back but I think we will take him somewhere else. He's never had anything wrong with him so we don't really have a regular vet that we use.

4. Where do you live? Do you by any chance live in the Southwest where Valley Fever is around? It can seriously affect their joints.

5. We live in Missouri.

6. Ok, never mind...I just know more than one dog here in AZ that had the same symptoms and it turned out to be Valley Fever. But I'm pretty sure you can't get that there. Sorry.

I hope you get it figured out. I'd start out with a vet that will do x-rays.

Images
    Did they take blood for a blood test to be done?

8. No, all the vet did was feel around for swelling and try to see if he was responding to pain which he didn't. He said that if no improvement in a week to bring him back and they would do a neurological $#@!essment or he may need to be put to sleep.

Images
    Find a new vet would be my best advice! (Like tomorrow) All your vet did was feel around then mention having to put your dog down? That in my eyes is a crap vet. My vet would be doing everything in the world to figure out what was wrong with one of my dogs if something like this ever happened.

Images
    second opinion! that vet did nothing for your dog. for something mysterious to happen to a normal healthy dog i would do xrays and blood work.

also just wondering did you happen to look in his feet to make sure he doesn't have something like a foxtail or bur in his toes that might make it painful to walk on them?

i hope he feels better soon!

11. Yes, I will take him to a different vet tomorrow if he shows no improvement by the morning. I would never put him down without getting a 2nd 3rd and 4th opinion and that it was certain absolutely nothing could be done for him.

I have checked all of his paws but there was nothing. That's what I thought was wrong at first, either something stuck in his paw or a broken nail but his paw are fine. I checked him for ticks and for any type of animal bite but no sign of anything.

Images
    grr i was hoping it could be something easy for you.

my best wishes for you guys and update us let us know how he is doing.

I would consider getting your vet to get you a consult with a neurologist. Although its strange that I would just be the front legs, It could be a peripheral nerve issue or an issue higher up.

14. Any type of physical activities you and the dog were doing before the limping? I know I injured a dog in the past on flirt pole. I had to take away all the physical jumping, fetch, flirt pole etc.... I had to drop the walks down and build back up slowly. It took just about 6 months to heal him back up. It's so easy to injure these dogs because they won't let you know they are hurt till its all done and you have them away from the excitement of it all. If you feel another vet is best get to it, but if your dog had valley fever it youd have more agitation to the dogs body than solely a limp. Jm2cents.... Hope all is well.

15. Thanks everyone!! He wasn't doing anything strenuous at all. He went outside earlier that day and was completely fine and then later on we just noticed he was limping a little bit and it's just gotten worse. He's normally very active but he doesn't jump at anything so I don't think this is caused by physical activity. I was hoping he just pulled a muscle or something but I would think that after a week he would be getting better and not worse.

Images
    If you can't find any injuries I would start looking into neurological issues

17. Quote Originally Posted by MBz4eVeR View Post
    . I was hoping he just pulled a muscle or something but I would think that after a week he would be getting better and not worse.

If it is a pulled muscle it will take much longer than a week. The med your vet is giving you is a simple NSAID which is the same as Asprin and such. Here is the asprin dosage if you want.

Once or twice a day(I'd keep it at once), with food for no longer than 2-3 days at a time consecitively.
    13-20 (81mg)1 baby asprin
    21-30 (120mg)1.5 baby asprin
    31-55 (162mg)2 baby asprin or 1/2 an adult pill
    56-90 (325mg)1 adult
    91-120 (487mg)1.5 adult pill
    121 plus (650mg) 2adult pills

When I was using this dosage here I tried to keep the dosage of asprin I was giving to 3 -4 pills a week. I used it mostly when his injury first happened. I'd say for the first two weeks. After that I dropped down to 1-2 times a week only when I seen him limping.

18. About a week ago, I read this thread because my dog was showing similar symptoms. I was disappointed because there was no resolution. I am sharing my story in case some one else shows up on this thread hoping for possible answers. My girl began limping with her right leg about 5 weeks ago. About 2 weeks ago, she began falling and eventually was unable to walk with her front legs. After the limp started, my vet just treated her with an NSAID, thinking it was just arthritis. Once it got worse, I was referred to a neurologist where they performed an MRI. The MRI showed a tumor on her spine between her shoulders. The prognosis was terrible even with surgery and radiation, so I made a decision and we lost her on 2/19/14. By the end, she was in so much pain.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo View Post
    About a week ago, I read this thread because my dog was showing similar symptoms. I was disappointed because there was no resolution. I am sharing my story in case some one else shows up on this thread hoping for possible answers. My girl began limping with her right leg about 5 weeks ago. About 2 weeks ago, she began falling and eventually was unable to walk with her front legs. After the limp started, my vet just treated her with an NSAID, thinking it was just arthritis. Once it got worse, I was referred to a neurologist where they performed an MRI. The MRI showed a tumor on her spine between her shoulders. The prognosis was terrible even with surgery and radiation, so I made a decision and we lost her on 2/19/14. By the end, she was in so much pain.
    I am very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine. May she rest peacefully.

So sorry for your loss jbo. You made the right decision. Keeping her alive would've been selfish and as humans, it's difficult to make that choice sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast