Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. I can't see the pics????

Actually despite what everyone else has said there is a way to see if shes a pure bred. DNA testing. Alot of vets carrying DNA test kits. The cheapest I was able to find one was for $60. Most vets sell them for over a hundred. You take the kit home with you.Stick the cotton swab in the dogs mouth. Put it in the zip lock and mail it off. They cant tell you what line its off of but can tell you if its a pure bred and if not what breeds it consist of. There is also a dna test you can do just to make sure its a decendent of what the breeders told you. In that case tou would have to get samples of the parents in question. Alot of people lie about there breedings to increase value. This happens alot. Papers are only as honest as the breeders listed. UNLESS DNA certified. But this was not available in the early days so is only good for so many generations back. I know lots of people who who have been scamed and most never find out.

3. Actually, DNA test have been proven not so reliable, and in many of them they don't have the APBT, only the Amstaff, if I remember correctly.

I've done it with one of my pits. If up to %99.999 is acurate I dont know what is.

I'm curious which test you used and what your "pit" tested as.

It was through ADBA. I paid alot of money for this dog and I think the Dna test was under 20$

7. If I remember correct, the test that the ADBA does, proves that your pup is from the parents the breeder says they are, not that you can take a mutt and figure out the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandJean View Post
    If I remember correct, the test that the ADBA does, proves that your pup is from the parents the breeder says they are, not that you can take a mutt and figure out the breed.
    Correct.

there is a few companys doing the dna test for the breed make up but i have herd of a lot of people with pure bred dogs that come out mixed on some and pure on another do to the limited amount of dna to test against and most don't have apbt to test against just am.staff

Quote Originally Posted by lilchampdog View Post
    I've done it with one of my pits. If up to %99.999 is acurate I dont know what is.
    Hmm....which armpit.

Anyways, NONE of the swab tests test for any of the pit bull breeds (remember, there's NO such breed as a pit bull ). Only the blood DNA tests can test for AST and SBT heritage.

As for reliable, it's just not there. We just had a news story about a very hound looking dog (almost like a German Wirehaired Pointer though) getting it done and the test came back as American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, and Miniature Schnauzer. The dog in question was approx. 60 lbs, very tall and leggy, had a long, wiry coat, and a face identical to the wirehaired pointer. What accurate results.

Dawn the lady that runs the CHAKO blog had her CH. AmStaff tested and it came back mostly boston terrier and border collie. Got the coloring right, her dog is black and white but not the breed at all. I wouldn't trust those.

Your confused, or maybe how I said it was confusing. Your getting the two mixed up.

13. I got the same dog

i got the same dog
    Last edited by nash; 01-24-2009 at 11:56 PM.

14. [i

So this DNA test can't tell if your pup is full APBT? It only test to see if the parents from the breeder are really their pups?
    I'm I getting this correct?

There's different dna tests, if the parents of your dog have dna on file then you can have your dog tested to prove those are truly the sire/dam. You can't do this unless the parents are on file though. The other test is a test for breed, not parentage and isn't very accurate, there's a couple different companies who do this.

I think you got some German Shepard Dog in that one. Love it for what it is, and so what if it's part GSD. Good looking dog. clmr

18. So many people get into pitbulls these days and come up to me saying they Have a Blue bloodline A Tiger striped line , A Red Nose A Blk pit line, A Buck skin line. These are clors not bloodlines. It cracks me up when they try to act like they know for sure wut a dog ios by its color.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12