Images

Military Pit Bull

thought this was pretty neat check it out

Andrew A. Nelles - Chicago Freelance Photojournalist
    Recent work from Chicago, Ill. based freelance photojournalist Andrew A. Nelles.
    Vist Andrew A. Nelles - Chicago Freelance Photojournalist for a portfolio. All photographs Copyright Andrew A. Nelles or other when noted

Tuesday, September 4, 2012
    Afghanistan Part II

August 7, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, and his dog Howard pause for a moment during a foot patrol in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Tuesday, August 7, 2012.

The 82nd Airborne Division's 4th Brigade Combat Team has employed a unique tactic against the increasing improvised explosive device threat in Afghanistan, Tactical Explosive Detection Dogs. The TEDD teams are sent into the field to accompany foot patrols where they are effective in detecting potential IED threats. Unlike traditional Military Working Dog teams, which the Army has used in the past, TEDD teams are unique in that their handlers are regular infantrymen from the brigade who have been given specialized training in working with the dogs. The brigade has trained and deployed 18 TEDD dogs and handlers during their current deployment in Afghanistan.(Credit Image: © Andrew A. Nelles/ZUMA Press)

August 4, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, exercises with his dog Howard at FOB Pasab in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Saturday, August 4, 2012.

August 4, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, exercises with his dog Howard at FOB Pasab in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Saturday, August 4, 2012.

August 4, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, bathes his dog Howard at FOB Pasab in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Saturday, August 4, 2012.

August 6, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, and his dog Howard fly in a helicopter on their way to link up with a platoon in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Monday, August 6, 2012.

August 6, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, and his dog Howard rest while waiting for a convoy at FOB Howz-E-Madad in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Monday, August 6, 2012.

August 6, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, right, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, and his dog Howard ride in a convoy in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Monday, August 6, 2012.

August 7, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, and his dog Howard search a van in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Tuesday, August 7, 2012.

August 7, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, and his dog Howard search a van in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Tuesday, August 7, 2012.

August 7, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, and his dog Howard accompany a foot patrol in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Tuesday, August 7, 2012.

August 7, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, and his dog Howard stop for a drink during a foot patrol in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Tuesday, August 7, 2012.

August 7, 2012. - Zharay District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan - TEDD handler SPC. Alexander Reimer, of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, and his dog Howard prepare for bed at COP Sangsar in Zharay District, Kandahar Province on Tuesday, August 7, 2012. Howard's kennel is next to Reimer's bed, when kennels are not available they sleep together.

http://andrewnellesphoto.blogspot.co...n-part-ii.html

Images
    awww

3. awesome story people need to read stories like this instead of talking about horror stories on this breed of dogs

Images
    First thing I thought when I saw this was where does the dog live when he's here in the USA? The breed's banned on all bases.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
    First thing I thought when I saw this was where does the dog live when he's here in the USA? The breed's banned on all bases.
    ha i was just gonna ask the same question

6. You can get papers for your dog to be allowed on base on a case by case basis. Since this is a working dog it lives in the kennels where the other dogs live so it isn't around the public except when working/training and is always contained. For those reasons I can see them bending the rules quite a bit. That's how I've always seen it done anyway.

good story...

Images
    Thank YOU, and give Howard a treat from me.

Images
    Mals are on the breed ban list in military housing but they are very much used as MWDs. MWDs are not considered pets though. breed bans are not applied to them.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Team Peanut View Post
    Mals are on the breed ban list in military housing but they are very much used as MWDs. MWDs are not considered pets though. breed bans are not applied to them.
    Howard is a Rock Star! I hope he can retire with honors.

11. i work on a military base and i see pit bull types all the time nobody really cares. especially since the family that living there is serving their country. its kinda of a dont ask dont tell thing

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dbutler View Post
    i work on a military base and i see pit bull types all the time nobody really cares. especially since the family that living there is serving their country. its kinda of a dont ask dont tell thing
    thats what my sister was telling me she lives on an air force base and she said she sees them walking around all the time

Images
    Have they relaxed in that over the years? We used to bring Peanut on base all the time then 09 went to bring him on base w always took him and got turned away because of the breed ban.
    It would be great if they are not sticking to it. They were nice to its about it but was disappointing.

14. i dont know about everywhere, but here its pretty relaxed

Images
    and my sister is n colorado springs

16. What a great looking team

I love the photographs of this dog solider duo. thanks for all you both do for me and our country. Come back safe...be safe.