Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. My pitbull keeps pulling me during walks!

Hello all! I'm new to this site, but I wanted to post my main problem with my 1 and a half year old pitbull, Dolce. I rescued Dolce from a shelter about a year ago (so she was 6 mos when I got her), and I love her dearly. She's pretty much trained for the most part... aside from walks! I can NOT get her to stop pulling me. I have tried EVERYTHING! She is absolutely relentless. I have tried to tire her out before walks, bring treats along with me, I've tried to stop walking when she starts to pull, and even change direction when she pulls. The problem is... She doesn't pay attention to me AT ALL! If I stop, she's too busy looking at everything else around her. She never stops to look at me once. It's like I'm not even there. If I stop, she simply looks all around and continues to pull. When I say her name, she completely ignores me (it's quite embarrassing considering she listens to me all the time) I have tried the harness that's supposed to tighten when she starts to pull which is supposed to be "uncomfortable" for the dog and make them stop pulling, but I think that's making it worse because it's easier for her to pull. I tried the choker collar worn right at the top of her neck under her jaw, behind her ears. That seemed to help MINORLY, but she still pulled so much and when we get home her neck is so red and raw from pulling. She just doesn't seem to feel pain, or if she does she just doesn't care at all. HELP! I'm at my wits end! I want to be able to take her for long walks, but I just can't with her pulling like this. My last resort is to try the prong collar. I heard that helped a lot of people, but again, she doesn't seem to be bothered by the pain! Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, or if the prong collar worked/didn't work for you I'd like to know! :cool:

I would try out a prong. Fitted and used correctly it's a great tool for training. Most Pit Bulls have a high pain tolerance, but the prong doesn't actually hurt them. It's mimics a bite on the neck like what dogs do to each other when disciplining.

I am not a fan of the choke collars. Those have been known to damage a dogs trachea and injure the neck of dogs who suddenly lunge. Gentle Leaders or Halti's can also damage the neck of a dog who suddenly lunges. Also not a fan of those pull harnesses. Tried one once and the pup it was on was a very strong pup. It didn't stop the pulling and it broke a couple days in.

The goal is to get the dog conditioned to not pull and eventually not have to use a special tool at all. I managed this with 3 of my dogs carrying a large cooking/mixing spoon full of peanut butter. I'd position the dog, begin walking. Dog loose leash walks, dog gets a random lick of peanut butter and praise. First they get a lick pretty frequently, then less and less until I don't need the spoon anymore. Peanut butter is most dogs crack, so it worked pretty well.
    Last edited by MJJean; 08-20-2012 at 10:08 PM.

I second a properly fitted prong.

Lucy's a puller. A lot of the time, I really have no problem with it as it's manageable pulling (it's like driving a car without power steering), and if I'm out exercising dogs I WANT her to get all that pulling/hustling her $#@! off out of her system (these days she slows down after a few blocks, but there's still a good bit of tension in the leash). Plus it's a good workout for my arms.

Now when we go into public, if it's a function with TONS of people everywhere and distractions, I used to put a prong collar on her (for some things I still do), and she walks like an angel, because she learned that the prong collar means we're going somewhere nice and fun and she has to be on her best behavior.

Lucy's 4 now, and we've worked our way to only needing a 2 inch flat buckle collar. I just make sure to keep the leash short (which helps A LOT when you have a dog that pulls).

Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    I would try out a prong. Fitted and used correctly it's a great tool for training. Most Pit Bulls have a high pain tolerance, but the prong doesn't actually hurt them. It's mimics a bite on the neck like what dogs do to each other when disciplining.

I am not a fan of the choke collars. Those have been known to damage a dogs trachea and injure the neck of dogs who suddenly lunge. Gentle Leaders or Halti's can also damage the neck of a dog who suddenly lunges. Also not a fan of those pull harnesses. Tried one once and the pup it was on was a very strong pup. It didn't stop the pulling and it broke a couple days in.

The goal is to get the dog conditioned to not pull and eventually not have to use a special tool at all. I managed this with 3 of my dogs carrying a large cooking/mixing spoon full of peanut butter. I'd position the dog, begin walking. Dog loose leash walks, dog gets a random lick of peanut butter and praise. First they get a lick pretty frequently, then less and less until I don't need the spoon anymore. Peanut butter is most dogs crack, so it worked pretty well.
    hahaha peanut butter! Mine LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVE IT!!! They are like ZOMG PEANUT BUTTER OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!

5. Thank you! My next step is going to be the prong collar, and I may try the peanut butter as well. She LOVES it! I just feel as though people look at my pitbull as a ferocious beast if she has a prong collar on because of their ignorance. Then again, I'm a proud pitbull owner, so if they look at me crazy I don't really care. They can go scratch. I stopped using the choker collar a while back because of the fact that her neck was getting raw, and I was afraid that she may damage her trachea. Seems like I'm on the same page as you, so I will try the prong collar! Thanks again for your help!

If they care to listen you can always explain that when used right it is just a tool that can be used in building a well behaved dog of any breed. If they don't care to listen then screw em they weren't worth talking to in the first place.

7. Quote Originally Posted by catchrcall View Post
    If they care to listen you can always explain that when used right it is just a tool that can be used in building a well behaved dog of any breed. If they don't care to listen then screw em they weren't worth talking to in the first place.
    Haha, try telling this to the owners walking their mini teacup pooches that constantly bark at my much better behaved pitbull. In their eyes, my dog is the beast and their sweet out of control teacups are angels! I have no time for ignorant people that think our dogs are horrible, fighting, people killing dogs! But, if anyone ever cares to listen I'll be sure to tell them that the collar is a training tool! (if they'll be able to hear me over the loud obnoxious screeching their dogs are making!)

Get a German one if you can and don't go for the freaking huge links! Medium is best. Then you have to fit it properly. I'll find the link. AND :) It's best to have it secured to another collar, I'll find the video :)
    AND do NOT USE IT WITH A FLEXIE LEASH!! :)

How to fit a prong collar:

http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

And...
    Last edited by MsAcer; 08-21-2012 at 08:53 PM.

10. Prong collar and serious physical correction immediately when the dog pulls. Two days if not an hour and the dog will walk fine.

"The problem is... She doesn't pay attention to me AT ALL! If I stop, she's too busy looking at everything else around her. She never stops to look at me once. It's like I'm not even there. If I stop, she simply looks all around and continues to pull. When I say her name, she completely ignores me"

You seem to understand the problem perfectly. All you need to do is get your dogs attention. I would jerk that dog off its feet so hard it will know in one second what and who to pay attention to. Discipline is required for a pit bull. They are head strong, stubborn and smart. They will figure out in a moment how to run the situation if you allow it. They are not for the weak or undisciplined owner. Show your dog who is the boss and they will love you for it. They want and crave a leader.

Yep,
    One or two strong corrections are WAAAAAAYYYyyyyyy better then lots of little nagging ones.

My pitbull keeps pulling me during walks!

I agree on the prong! Only thing I'm wondering is she may be numb to it by now. Cause if you had her for a year and she's been pulling that long her neck is already desensitized and sometimes after that a prong won't phase a dog! But I hope this isn't the case, prongs are a great tool lots of luck

13. "You seem to understand the problem perfectly. All you need to do is get your dogs attention. I would jerk that dog off its feet so hard it will know in one second what and who to pay attention to. Discipline is required for a pit bull. They are head strong, stubborn and smart. They will figure out in a moment how to run the situation if you allow it. They are not for the weak or undisciplined owner. Show your dog who is the boss and they will love you for it. They want and crave a leader."

I do understand the problem, it's just hard to get her to pay attention to me when she's so excited to see everything that is going on. No matter how many quick and strong jerks i give her, she seems unfazed. You suggested the prong collar as well, and that is the next thing that I try. Did you ever have this problem with the prong collar where it makes the dogs neck raw? Do you suggest to bring treats along to praise her when she has a loose leash, or you believe in the tough love where it's just what the dog is supposed to do? She's a great dog other than this one problem, but it is a big problem and I want it fixed NOW! I'm the leader, not her.

14. Quote Originally Posted by klisa723 View Post
    I agree on the prong! Only thing I'm wondering is she may be numb to it by now. Cause if you had her for a year and she's been pulling that long her neck is already desensitized and sometimes after that a prong won't phase a dog! But I hope this isn't the case, prongs are a great tool lots of luck
    I'm not to sure if a dog can become "desensitized" to a collar. They have very strong necks regardless, but I'm worried about the choker possibly hurting her trachea from her pulling.

15. My pit is the same way. I quit the choker because he says, "I don't need to breathe I just need to pull harder!"

Ive been trying something that's given me great results. I use a regular harness. When he pulls he get a swift left foot to the side of his $#@! and a tug on the leash. The tap causes him to turn and see who kicked him and as he looks at me I give that leash a tug. After two or three kicks he chills out and walks right by my leg. I noticed his natural walking pace is kind of quick, so to compromise I walk at a brisk pace so he can trot along and I get more exercise lol.

Prong collars, fitted properly and used correctly, won't rub your dog's neck raw nor damage their trachea. While you're walking with that I also suggest teaching her to walk nicely using the "Silky Leash" technique. It really works but it DOES take time!

17. I would like to thank everyone for their responses. I purchased a well fitted prong collar, and tried it for the first time tonight. Dolce walked PERFECTLY. At first she was a little confused by it, but after the first correction (she got excited when she saw a dog behind a fence) she was great. That's all it took, ONE physical correction, and she got the point. I could not be happier with the results.

Thank you all again! Your advice is greatly appreciated.

My pitbull keeps pulling me during walks!

Nice. Good to hear :)

I've had success using a length of cane for distraction, leash in the right hand, dog on my left, cane in left hand. I give the command to walk, heel, whatever you prefer and when the dog pulls it gets a firm "no", I tighten the leash & tap it's shoulder with the cane (NOT whip the poor bugger) all in the same moment. Instant attention, the dog is left in the correct position and on we go. Rinse & repeat. I have not used a prong collar so cannot comment but a Halty was useless, dog hated it to the point I could not get her attention she was so focused on pulling & trying to get it off. Once the dog was nearly there I would just make her sit if she repeatedly tried to put any weight on the leash & bored her into position. I only used the cane a few times, once she knew where I wanted her it became a lot easier.
    Last edited by Sandi; 08-23-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: oops

20. Quote Originally Posted by VickyMinaj View Post
    I would like to thank everyone for their responses. I purchased a well fitted prong collar, and tried it for the first time tonight. Dolce walked PERFECTLY. At first she was a little confused by it, but after the first correction (she got excited when she saw a dog behind a fence) she was great. That's all it took, ONE physical correction, and she got the point. I could not be happier with the results.

Thank you all again! Your advice is greatly appreciated.
    I told you so. Great news. That dog will be healing perfectly now. Prong collars are far more humane then choke chains and they are very effective. They do not hurt the dog as a matter of fact a properly fitted one only pinches the neck it does not choke the dog. My dog will pull me full speed on a bike with a prong collar. It really has no effect on him other than convey the messages I am sending.

Even though my dog heals well with any collar, I always use a prong collar when on walks as aside from the walking aspect, they make it much easier to control a large and aggressive dog when confronted by loose dogs, or idiot dog owners who don't control their dogs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast