my dog killed my cat idk what to do

my 1 yr old pitbull was playing with my cat yesterday as they normally do but this time it was different the cat scratched him , he didnt react but today i was in the bathroom with the cat when Gordo just came in not aggresively but once he saw the cat he acted aggresively and would not get off of her , he killed the cat she was put the sleep an hr ago at the vets office and idk what to do with my dog someone please help :( hes a good dog and hes never acted this way before he plays with my 3 yr old niece all the time , but im afraid hell act in aggresion again towards someone else

Images
    Welcome to PBC.

I'm sorry about the loss of your cat. Please know that your dog did nothing wrong. He's a dog. More, he's a terrier. Terriers are known for their prey drive. Unfortunately, even other family pets can be seen as prey, even though you consider them part of your family. Your dog is an animal and he followed his instincts.

He'll more than likely continue to be aggressive toward prey animals (cats, small dogs, etc.) so the best thing you can do is just to keep him away from them. Dog aggression is also very common the bull breeds so you should be on the lookout for that as well.

Also know that animal/dog aggression is of ZERO relation to human aggression.

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you stick around and read some of the helpful stickies we have in place that explain canine/breed specific behavior.

Images
    Dogs kill cats. I'm sorry but if you let a dog with the physical ability to kill a cat play with a cat you should expect it to happen. Just because your DOG killed a CAT (which is natural) does not mean he will become aggressive toward human beings.
    Last edited by Mollie's Nana; 08-08-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Thank you very much for your advice that was very helpfull , i will most definetly read up more on it to get a better understanding of it all . i was reading up on other websites and was afraid i would have to put my dog to sleep because of it :(

5. Quote Originally Posted by prettyangie View Post
    my 1 yr old pitbull was playing with my cat yesterday as they normally do but this time it was different the cat scratched him , he didnt react but today i was in the bathroom with the cat when Gordo just came in not aggresively but once he saw the cat he acted aggresively and would not get off of her , he killed the cat she was put the sleep an hr ago at the vets office and idk what to do with my dog someone please help :( hes a good dog and hes never acted this way before he plays with my 3 yr old niece all the time , but im afraid hell act in aggresion again towards someone else
    First of all I am very sorry for you loss what you witnessed is very normal for this breed. Most APBT's and even the mixes have prey drive to some extent they are also dog aggressive it's part of the genetic make up so it's not uncommon for these dogs to go after another animal and kill it even the ones they were raised with. This is where they very popular saying never trust a pitbull not to fight rings very true with our breed. Most of the time when a Pitbull fights or kills another animal it's completely unexpected to the owner because they just don't understand the intensity these animals were bred for. The good news is Prey Drive/ Dog Aggression can be controlled with a bit of common sense. You should never leave your pitbull unattended for any amount of time with any animal doesn't matter how well they play together because you just never know with these dogs even if they don't start the fight if provoked they will finish it. Also dog aggression doesn't turn into human aggression they are completely two separate things and the APBT was never bred to be human aggressive and should never show any sort of negative behavior towards humans. The two are completely unrelated so don't think that just because your dog killed a cat it's going to kill your niece next. Your dog did just what it was bred to do. And I am sorry you had to find out the hard way because most people are thought to believe pitbulls are only as good as you raise them to be and can get along with other dogs or cats if you raise them right or together this couldn't be further from the truth. The breed has a very long history of dog aggression and in fact were genetically hardwired for it which is why these dogs must be properly managed and contained and even with the dogs or in your case cats they were raised with your dog may at some point have to be separated from it's long time friends because it just decides it doesn't want to be friends anymore. What your dog did is completely normal for this breed and you have to take responsibility going forward to educate yourself better on the breed you own. Don't be angry with the dog because it didn't do anything wrong. Please stick around you have a lot to learn.

Images
    If he's only acting aggressively toward other animals, there's no reason to put him down. Like I said, he's just being a dog. Even still, you should never leave any dog unattended with children. Sweet as dogs are, some just don't realize their size or how rough they are when they're playing. My 70# dog thinks he's a 10# lap dog. Good luck telling him otherwise.

7. This dog right here is dog aggressive and has killed ducks, squirrels, and will chase down and kill anything that moves lol .. He is ok with my female APBT's but I would never let him alone with them. This same dog aggressive APBT loves my niece and all humans he's very affectionate and any stranger off the street could approach him and get loved on. You don't need to put your dog down for being aggressive towards animals it was bred to be that way you just have to keep it away from other animals and dogs.

See :) Have to keep the baby from eating him lol

SadieBulldogs Thank you so much for your advice it really did help and has made me feel much better about my situation. I'm definitely going to keep reading on my dogs breed in order to learn ways to avoid any situation like this again.

I'm sorry for your loss. That's good to hear that you'll be reading up on the breed that you bought. Terriers are known for their prey drive. Read about it and be prepared. You can't change his drive, but you can change the situations that he's placed in.

Good luck on your progress.

10. Quote Originally Posted by prettyangie View Post
    SadieBulldogs Thank you so much for your advice it really did help and has made me feel much better about my situation. I'm definitely going to keep reading on my dogs breed in order to learn ways to avoid any situation like this again.
    You are welcome we have all been there and have learned painful mistakes that become eye openers as to how these dogs are when it comes to prey/dog aggression. But believe me when I tell you that dog aggression is a very small price to pay for owning such a loyal loving breed. I wouldn't trade my dogs for the world they are a lot of dog to handle but they are worth it. I was raised around many breeds and never have I found a breed so loving and so loyal as the APBT. I am glad you will stick around the longer you are here the more you will start to understand what happened with your cat.
    Last edited by SadieBulldogs; 08-08-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Images

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. Great advice from SadieBulldogs.... i think SadieB. covered it perfectly!!

Don't give up on your pup... he can only learn what you teach him, and left unattended, or with things that trigger his prey drive, can mean that he will do nothing but get into trouble, or act naturally when it comes to prey drive. While you can't train prey drive out of him, you can supervise him very closely and make sure he isn't around any cats or small animals that he could perceive as prey (much like he would rabbits, squirrels, birds and things like that). Supervise at all times, and when you can't supervise his actions at all times, crate him. That way, you have all your bases covered. :)

12. I'm so sorry about your loss. I have a cat and a pit bull, and I have to keep them separated at all times. It's a lot of work, but Bonnie is very prey driven and there's no question that she'd kill the cat if given the smallest chance.

At the same time, she is the sweetest dog with people. The children in the neighborhood adore her and she loves them back and they have a great time playing together. How a pit bull treats animals is completely unrelated to how they treat people. Remember that they were bred to fight other dogs, but they were also bred to love people because their owners had to be able to step into the middle of the dog fight without getting bit themselves.

Another thing to remember is that some pit bulls will become more agressive towards animals as they mature (around age 3-4). When I got Bonnie she was about 3 years old and I could let her be around other dogs. Over the past year, she's changed to the point where she will attack any dog on sight. However, she's still a giant loveable teddy bear with children.

Pit bulls are wonderful dogs. They're playful, highly energetic and very loving and affectionate. But they should be the only pet in the household.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieBulldogs View Post
    This dog right here is dog aggressive and has killed ducks, squirrels, and will chase down and kill anything that moves lol .. He is ok with my female APBT's but I would never let him alone with them. This same dog aggressive APBT loves my niece and all humans he's very affectionate and any stranger off the street could approach him and get loved on. You don't need to put your dog down for being aggressive towards animals it was bred to be that way you just have to keep it away from other animals and dogs.

See :) Have to keep the baby from eating him lol

OMG...that is the cutest stinkin picture!!!

And to OP, your dog is a dog. : ) Doesn't mean he will be aggressive to humans at all. I'm sorry for your loss though, I know that part can't be easy to deal with.

We have two dogs, and a cat, and while they're generally OK with each other, I've seen enough to know we can't EVER leave them unsupervised together. Even though the dogs just chase and harr$#@! her, they still act very much like dogs with her. As they should. I'd find it more unusual if they DIDN'T chase her around. lol

yetti and my cats sleep together should i worry?

Quote Originally Posted by yetti'smom View Post
    yetti and my cats sleep together should i worry?
    How old is yetti. And not necessarily, all dogs have different levels of prey drive! My step mothers apbt is 7 years old and her best friend is the family cat They don't really play. But where the cat is sleeping so is Roxi. But I would never leave the house with them having access to each other, when no one is home the cat is put in a room with door closed. Accidents can happen.

yetti is 12 weeks and "his kitty" daisy does not leave his side. she is a couple months older than he is. they play all the time. not rough but chase each other around. daisy walks up and head butts him then runs away then he chases her. usually where you find one you find the other

Just be cautious. Yetti is still a baby! Lots of changes will come his way! :)

Quote Originally Posted by yetti'smom View Post
    yetti is 12 weeks and "his kitty" daisy does not leave his side. she is a couple months older than he is. they play all the time. not rough but chase each other around. daisy walks up and head butts him then runs away then he chases her. usually where you find one you find the other
    Just don't leave them unsupervised together. And keep an eye out as Yetti gets older.

It never hurts to make a little "cat only" area either where only the cat can get to. My cat likes the top of the fridge and the kitchen table so her food is on the table, and both places have space for her to chill on.

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

oh she has her own "cat space" and yetti has his "dog space" the cat just seems to want to tag along to where ever the dog is and he seems fine with it. they eat, sleep, and play together all the time. yes i said eat. yetti sits and shares his food with daisy. not sure how that started it just did. they take turns with their face in his food bowl lol

Images
    Nitro is a 5 month old pit bull/chow mix.. I also have a yorkie and a chihuahua... My little dogs will play with him at times but mostly they are little brats. They take his bones right out of his mouth, they growl at him if he comes near them if they have a toy or bone and he is afraid of them. The yorkie pretty much rules the house and none of the dogs mess with him. I watch them like a hawk and never leave them alone because I am afraid one day they are going to try to bully him and he will get the last laugh. He is only 5 months old and already has 25 lbs on them. I keep him exercised and tired so he never gets any pent up energy because they say that is when they are most likely to attack another animal because they need a way to release that energy... (not sure how true it is but it's always good to make sure your dog has a lot of exercise :D)