Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Worn pads, EVERY foot! Pics! What to do?

While feeding the dogs I found a small blood trail, smudgy blood trail, so I check the dogs.

I found this on Hades:

Has anyone ever had this happen to any of their dogs? What should I do? Wrap it? Creams? Vet? WHAT?!?!? :confused:

I'm not quite sure yet WHY this has happened. The bf thinks that it's because the front yard is very hard and that's where Hades plays frisbee, I JUST thought that maybe it's from the interlocking brick around the pool... I had thought a few days ago when he was off it was from over exerting himself swimming, or that he'd pulled something, but now I think it's pretty clear that this is why he's been off!

The exposed part of the pad in the front is around the size of a quarter and very, very tender. Nothing like the stiff, rough normal part of the pad.

I'm not sure what to do for him, he's clearly uncomfortable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm starting to freak myself out here!

Images
    Boogieman knows of some stuff you can put on thier paws that will help. Definitely keep the dog inside or on gr$#@!/soft surfaces until he heals.

Id use BagBalm since its so nice and waterproof but only apply it during crate rest time or it will be all over your house!

Poor puppers, get well soon!

First, sit and take a deep breath...It will be ok.
    When Jake tore his, I did not put anything on and they healed fine, But you can use bag balm and maybe put booties on his feet so they don't lick it off

Now, when we go camping or somewhere where I feel his pads might be blow (that is what I call it), I put kopertox (got it from my vet) on a few days before we go to help toughen them up. I use it a lot during the summer due to lots of walking on concrete, sand, swimming and black top around our camp ground.
    I think too you can use paw wax
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754374

paws crossed for a speedy recovery

Thanks Maddie! I'm the worry wart type, *deep breath*! LOL. If I'm not freaked out though, I'm confused... He rarely is on pavement... mostly gr$#@!, our driveway is dirt/gravel... that's it!

I'm definitely going to ask my vet about the kopertox, I have a feeling this has something to do with his little sensitive, pinky feet! Do you use both paw wax AND the kopertox? Is the kopertox a cream or something?

PNWBR, That's the second vote (one from another forum) for bag balm. I think I'll use that, some gauze to keep it all gooped up on the affected areas, then I'll grab some vet wrap to keep it off my floors and to give him some traction on the hardwood.

I vote for pictures of him wearing the vet-wrap booties!!! :D

Wow, I wish I knew what to tell you, but since I dont, I will just say give him a kiss for me :)

That's happened to my spazz dogs a ton. I've never put anything on it personally. I usually would just give them a few days off from activity to heal up. They actually healed up quite quickly on my crew.

Quote Originally Posted by K9 Love View Post
    T

I'm definitely going to ask my vet about the kopertox, I have a feeling this has something to do with his little sensitive, pinky feet! Do you use both paw wax AND the kopertox? Is the kopertox a cream or something?

No I just use the kopertox. I mentioned the paw was b/c other people I know use that.

Kopertox is a green liquid - you need to wear gloves when you put it on - lol
    My vet is old school and the kopertox is actually use on horses and cows. But she recommends it to dog owners who have problems with blown pads

George Guest
    Reeses ate her pads off twice. I cleaned them out of dirt with a rinse from the tub. I just put some bag balm on it wrapped i in some gauze and you can get the stuff the vet uses from Rite Aid or Walgreen's. It is in the same isle as the ace bandages etc. It is tan and will only stick to its self. Looks like a ace bandage.

it will heal. happened to my chihuahua.

Boogieman Guest
    I'd clean it up good with soap and water, apply some neosporin a couple times a day..(cuz they will lick it off) and get some Pad kote and Pad heal.

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-l...html?E+scstore

http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-fir.../pad-heal.html

Those links aren't where I bought mine I just did a quick search so you could see the products. ;):)

huskylove Guest
    It happens to the Sibes when they've been running hard and haven't built up calluses yet. But since they are open, clean them out well, Neosporin them at night, and then in the morning, put Liquid Band Aid on them to protect the pads until they heal up. Once they've healed, go pick up a can of Mushers Secret and use it daily for a few weeks, that'll toughen those puppies right up.

huskylove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    I'd clean it up good with soap and water, apply some neosporin a couple times a day..(cuz they will lick it off) and get some Pad kote and Pad heal.

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-l...html?E+scstore

http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-fir.../pad-heal.html

Those links aren't where I bought mine I just did a quick search so you could see the products. ;):)

Boogie, how do you like the Pad Kote? I tried it once and it kept peeling off, does it really work or did I just buy an old bottle :confused:?

Boogieman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by huskylove View Post
    Boogie, how do you like the Pad Kote? I tried it once and it kept peeling off, does it really work or did I just buy an old bottle :confused:?
    Both products work very good for me. The "blue" color kinda sucks but I just keep em outside till it dries. ;)

How fast did it peel off? I would just reapply it as often as needed. It didn't peel off mine. Maybe your dogs were helping it....LOL I was quite surprised when mine weren't licking it all the time.

All of these are great alternatives...one more product that I'd like to throw in the mix is called Tuf-Foot http://www.tuffoot.com/

Also for anyone that is consider starting to condition their dog...K9Love posted some great pictures of where you should be checking the feet after workouts. Also remember that a "pre" conditioning phase should be used where the dog has a chance to gradually increase and to build toughness in those pads.

The reason for this that you mentioned in the original post are probably accurate...especially if he's running on the concrete around the pool alot and obviously changing direction and jumping on a hard surface outfront playing frisbe. Good luck.
    Last edited by screamin'eagle; 07-10-2008 at 10:53 AM.

So as I'm on the phone with the vet asking for kopertox and it clicks in my head. :eek: I used to train horses for a living and managed a barn of 40+ horses, so I have my fair share of awful green stained clothing! ROFL

Sorry PNWBR, I just came on after removing his wraps for the day! LMAO! But I WILL get pics tomorrow! He's sporting hunter green on the front and bright yellow on the back ;)

He seems much more comfortable with his feet wrapped, he's a wussy and was reluctant to walk on them at first, but outside he was much more comfortable. They didn't have bag balm at the store I went too, but they did have a herbal remedy, promotes healing, conditioner salve thingy made out of bees wax. The label sounded good, and "salve" was something I was looking for. I got Polysporin for the back feet just until they aren't raw anymore.

huskylove- That sounds like something that would work, because I'm sure it's from running around.

The tuffoot looks like a good possibility as well.

My regular vet is on vacation until the 22 so I had to deal with a newbie today, quite frusterating, but no thanks to her I have a solid plan. First things first, heal up the raw, open wounds in the back, then try to get as much pad back as possible, than find some type of preventative.

Thank you very much for the links guys! They are EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

ETA - So SE you would say from the placement of the "sores" that it's from running/working? It's something you see in dogs that are being conditioned often?

Some people are saying it looks like chemical burn, but I'm reluctant to think that... wouldn't ALL of his toes be affected?

Images
    Never had a problem with it, but we used this to PREVENT:

Tuf-Foot®

$8.99(Bonaseptic Co.) For Dogs: Whether your dog needs to $#@!ist in the hunt, pull a sled, search through rubble, or just hang out in the yard TUF-FOOT can keep his sensitive paws and pads in excellent condition. TUF-FOOT is guaranteed to toughen and protect soft, sore and tender paws and pads on your dog. TUF-FOOT has been shown to aid in the healing of sore paws and pads, cut pads, and bruises often having remarkable results within a few days. TUF-FOOT also prevents cracking and bleeding of of your dog's pads. TUF-FOOT's pad toughening formula contains no harmful chemicals and is safe for your dog to lick his foot.
    For Horses: Horse hoof care and maintenance is key to the prevention and treatment of hoof injuries and disease such as stone bruises, thrush and soft frogs. Regular Hoof care is also highly important to the overall health of the animal. Tuf-Foot aids in the prompt healing of stone bruising, thrush, hoof disease, sensitive frogs, close trimming, cuts and abrasions. The positive healing effects of Tuf-Foot were highlighted in the February 2001 Horse Journal. TUF-FOOT should be in every farriers tool kit to ensure that a horses hoof care needs are taken care of.

And, I know people that have the problem that soak in Epsom salt first and then apply this:

Pad Heal™

$7.95(Cut-Heal) Extreme endurance protection. Provides rapid healing of any splits, cracks and/or cuts to the pads and webbing. Conditions and strengthens. Great for dogs who participate in extreme endurance events such as hunting, racing and working dogs.

Yeah, I just read the Tuf-Foot page and I'm really liking it so far.

It dries quickly which is a definite bonus.

How long would a bottle last for one dog would you say? I hate ordering stuff from the internet, so I'd like to order enough to last at least 6 months.

20. nu-stock works wonders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast