Benadryl on top of Claritin - Safe?

Took Sugar to the farmers market with me this morning and one of the vendors gave her dried chicken before I could stop them. I was hoping shed be alright since she takes Claritin daily. She's showing hives now.

Anyone know if its safe to give her a dose of Benadryo despite having had her Claritin already today? Her vets office is closed.

Images
    In all out honestly, I wouldn't. They both are an anti-histamine and I would hate to overdose her on it. Just wait and see if she is any better by tomorrow. And if not; Do benadryl as needed.

From a pharmacists perspective, while they are two different cl$#@! of antihistamines, they work on the same receptor. Thus, if you're going to take benadryl, taking claritin on top of it is not going to do much help. You're only going to increase the side effects.

From a vet tech perspective, that said, give her the benadryl. Benadryl will override the claritin and you should see a greater affect. I'd give her 2 benadryl ($#@!ume ~50lb dog) and then repeat in 8 hours.

Images
    I guess i'm speaking on more of a pharmacist perspective since I have actually taken cl$#@! in pharmacology. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by LovePup View Post
    I guess i'm speaking on more of a pharmacist perspective since I have actually taken cl$#@! in pharmacology. ^^;
    By pharmacist, I mean the gf, who has her PharmD, advised me in that response. If the hives are present, there is not enough antihistamines in the body. Thus, if the benadryl doesn't work, the next step is pred.

Thanks :) I knew they were different cl$#@! of antihistamines, and that some antihistamines could be layered, but dogs of course can react differently than humans.

I called the VCA e-vet, and they said that a one time dose should be fine, but that if she starts having difficulty breathing to bring her in for shot of steroids. I'm not sure if I want to risk it, but I know that hives for her usually results in a staph infection. I'll probably risk it. She had the Claritin close to 8 hours ago, so I doubt there should be much in the way of side effect increase.

Images
    Depends. Is it 24 hour claritin?

Quote Originally Posted by JokerGirl View Post
    Thanks :) I knew they were different cl$#@! of antihistamines, and that some antihistamines could be layered, but dogs of course can react differently than humans.

I called the VCA e-vet, and they said that a one time dose should be fine, but that if she starts having difficulty breathing to bring her in for shot of steroids. I'm not sure if I want to risk it, but I know that hives for her usually results in a staph infection. I'll probably risk it. She had the Claritin close to 8 hours ago, so I doubt there should be much in the way of side effect increase.
    I think the difficulty breathing that they're talking about would be a result of anaphylaxis, not a result of the antihistamines.

So far so good :) Yes, it was the 24 hour Claritin. She seems to be doing just fine at this point! Thanks Liliana.

Images
    Yes you are able to use benedryl in conjunction with Claritin or Zyrtec. They are in different cl$#@! antihistamines. And are perfectly safe to do so.

I have a dog that is allergic to Florida. He takes Claritin in the morning and benedryl at night. And needs to do so to manage his allergies. And has been doing so for the last 2 yrs.

We have many allergy patients at work that do the same thing. And the Dr I work for recommend it to those that need it.

Benedryl is 1-2mg per pound
    Claritin is 0.5mg per kilogram once a day.
    Zyrtec is 0.5 - 1mg per kilogram once a day.

Want to stress with Claritin and Zyrtec DO NOT USE the D.
    Last edited by Cynthia; 07-21-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Good to know! I did know that the decongestant allergy meds are a huge no no. It's very nice that I can give her a dose of Benedryl now to help her with her hives when she gets them. The Claritin really only controls her environmental allergies, and although she doesn't get chicken (or the other foods she's allergic too) ever, obviously accidents like yesterday will happen.

Thanksgiving last year was a near miss. My Dad knew she was allergic to chicken, but I guess he $#@!umed that other poultry was ok. As he's carving the turkey, he tosses a piece, "Ooops! It fell on the floor, I don't know what happened", in his Homer Simpson voice. I rushed to it before she could get it and told him she couldn't have ANY poultry. He felt bad, but I got it before she did so it was ok, and now he knows.

from when I was pregnant and had to take both of those, as for as a human taking them both its fine, also helped better than just taking one of them

Images
    Veronica gets the occasional benadryl on top of zyrtec.

Circe takes Zyrtec in the AM and Benadryl in the PM. It works fine for her.