Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Vet care needed for broken nail? And bleeding...

Sam split her nail.. It looks kinda bad but she seems ok. Its split pretty bad and was bleeding. Heres a crappy cell phone pic...

I cleaned it with alcohol but theres dirt like wedged in there... Should i take her in or do u think it will heal ok on its own?

2. I think it should be ok without a vet. Maybe try soaking it in salt water (put some water in a cup with some Epsom salts and try to hold her foot in it if she will stay still that long).

Images
    Flour or bisquik. Dip the paw in it. Give it two mins and rinse. All good to go!

4. Flour would be used to clot the bleeding but I believe it needs to be cleaned. That would be my concern...

Images
    OK so I have zero dollars and no flour so thats out lol but the bleeding has stopped. I have table salt, can i use that for the soak?

Thanks for the advice guys, this is my first split nail!

6. Bring her in, or call for advice. You can always call your vet for advice, I do it allllllllllll the time. :)

Images
    Sorry yes flour was for clotting I misumderstood! Lol. I would use a little bit of salt In some warm water! As long as the bleedings gone I wouldn't worry. But wait for the nail to grow out a bit then trim it. If she will let you and you have a file. Trim her nail down in a few days so it doesn't snag! Hope that helps I remember when I first nicked blaze trimming his nails omg I thought I killed him lol good luck

Images
    I would cut it the rest of the way down IMO save it from getting caught and then you can properly clean it.

9. there is no need to call any vet. are you serious lol? over a split nail lol. get your clippers and remove the excess portion. after that clean the area off with something like alcohol or hydroxide. your dog will be fine. if your dog lost the nail entirely then it would be a problem and id tell you to look into some fish flex forte, but you should not have a problem.

Images
    Ok guys thanks for the great advice :D Im glad a trip to the vets wont be necerssary!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterbonzElirush View Post
    there is no need to call any vet. are you serious lol? over a split nail lol. get your clippers and remove the excess portion. after that clean the area off with something like alcohol or hydroxide. your dog will be fine. if your dog lost the nail entirely then it would be a problem and id tell you to look into some fish flex forte, but you should not have a problem.
    HAHAHA It's just so funny when owners walk in 2 weeks later with a toe that has completely abscessed through lack of proper care! That is SO funny, you're right!

Online vets we have here apparently.

What's with the vet hate? Some people really do go to school for 8 years, then do 4 years of post-doc learning to become professional veterinarians. They didn't do that to make money or screw you over. They did it because they love animals and want to help them.

If this dog walked into my place of employment, we would give them a pain injection, because that $#@! hurts, sterilize the area as well as possible using antiseptics and debriding processes, cut the nail to the lowest point of the split, apply a cauterizing agent, clean the area again, wrap the area in a bandage, and, depending on the severity, send the dog home on antibiotics and pain medication.

But yea, totally inflict pain like that on your dog at home without any real world knowledge on how to care for a wound like that. Just let these internet docs show ya how, then they can prescribe antibiotics for you over the internet! Totally legit!
    Last edited by LilianaLove; 07-15-2012 at 11:34 PM.

For once, I agree with Mister-whateverhisface.

I never do anything for a broken nail. Hell, I don't even clean it. The dogs lick em, and I've never had one get infected. Eventually, the tissue will die and the nail will fall off.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    For once, I agree with Mister-whateverhisface.

I never do anything for a broken nail. Hell, I don't even clean it. The dogs lick em, and I've never had one get infected. Eventually, the tissue will die and the nail will fall off.
    I would still clean it just to be sure. Salt is pretty inexpensive and very effective, causing minimal pain. I wouldn't not use alcohol, that would hurt like hell.

Images
    Update: I cleaned out all of the dirt and got a good look at it. The nails split in half all the way down, exposing her quick(is that what its called? The skin inside the toe nail?) on both sides where the nail has split open.

I cleaned it with alcohol. Sam didnt even flinch when I poured it on the nail, what a trooper! Then I put some vaseline over the exposed skin.

We dont have dog nail clippers so we're going to take her in tomorrow to have them clip it back and get the vets opinion.. He's cheap and knows us well so he lets us pay when my paycheck comes in.

15. If you want something to heal you don't cover it in vaseline.

Not hating on the OP, but with the general attitude toward animal medical care on this forum, I'm really shocked that no one has asked you what kind of dog food you're feeding as if it would have something to do with fixing the nail and THEN proceeded to talk $#@! about vets.

I agree with Lilianalove.

Yeah, don't use vaseline. The quick needs to dry out so the nail can come off. The nail will grow back in time, but the first one might be really stunted and fall off. Then a healthier one will grow back.

Images
    The only reason I put vaseline on was to temporarily soothe the pain from cleaning it out, it dried quickly and i havent put more on.

It still looks gross this morning.. And a little oozy-ish. Hopefully my darling husband hurries home from wal mart so he can take us by the vets office to get it looked at.

Images
    Woah woah you guys have walmarts in Mexico!?
    What else do you have there? Mc Donald's?

Images
    I agree with LilianaLove. My Bullmastiff split his nail just like that last week actually, and my vet did exactly what was described here. Upon closer look under sedation, my guys nail was stinky and infected, he's on a course of antibiotics now.

Get it taken care of by a vet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali132 View Post
    Woah woah you guys have walmarts in Mexico!?
    What else do you have there? Mc Donald's?

Theres a huge misconception about Mexico around white people lol. Although many houses and rural areas are in poor condition, in the cities we have everything.. We have Wal Mart, Sams club, Mcdonalds, burger king, subway, applebees lol. Its modern now, but the family owned businesses have a slightly higher percentage of the market down here than up there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast