1. What does this mean????? My dog does this while on walks

Hello! Whenever I am walking my dog Bailey, and she sees another dog approaching, she will crouch really low to the ground and then lay down and won't move at all. I will try and pull her to keep moving forward on the walk and she won't budge. Then, when the dog gets close she will jump up and start whining really loud/barking.

She gets along very well with other dogs, but she always does this while on leash/on walks. I have looked online and it says that laying down when approached by other dogs is a sign of submission and means that she is saying "im no threat to you, don't worry about me"....but then why does she jump up and then start acting crazy? Someone said she is showing signs of frusturation because she wants to greet the dog but isn't able to.

Any thoughts?

She is being submissive towards the other dogs and when they get close enough she is unable to contain her excitement.

Sounds like she's just scared of other dogs. Maybe the leash is making her feel trapped or something. I guess someone in here will advise on how to help train her so she isn't afraid

Dogs will make all.kind of noises and movenmenr
    Ts to try to keep other dogs away

Images
    I would guess she is laying down to signal to the other dogs that it's cool to approach; then gets frustrated when she can't greet them; or overly excited that they are getting close and she might get to greet them.

Veronica used to try to pull this, get down and try to crawl towards the other dog, looking all sweet and submissive; then when she got to the other dog within the space of a 20 second greeting she would wind up with her head over the other dog's neck and then snarling. I had someone tell me she was intentionally trying to "lure the other dog in" by pretending to be submissive; but I don't think she's that bright. I just think she has really poor social skills.
    Last edited by Jazzy; 07-13-2012 at 03:42 PM.

I HAVE seen dogs "lure" other dogs in.. either by being entirely passive and ignoring the other dog, or by acting playful. Clever creatures, they are!

To the OP : What is your dog's tail doing when she crouches? Is it tucked under her? Is it out, wagging furiously? Is it out, but stiff? Does her whole body go stiff and she stares at the dogs?

When she jumps up, what is her tail doing?

Frankie does that, without the jumping up. When she sees a new dog, she'll crouch down, tail tucked between her legs, sometmes hackels are up. As the dog approaches, she lays down, goes belly up and usually pees. Once the initial meeting is over, she's all about PLAY, PLAY, PLAY. The next time she meets that dog, she's in play mode.
    BUT she's still a puppy, so that may change as she gets older.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    I HAVE seen dogs "lure" other dogs in.. either by being entirely passive and ignoring the other dog, or by acting playful. Clever creatures, they are!

I haven't seen it first hand; but I totally see where it is something that some dogs would have the capacity to reason out.

I just have a hard time believing that Veronica is that clever.

9. her tail is normally very low when she starts crouching. She has played with dogs before in a controlled setting and isnt agressive towards them, so I don't think she is tryin to "trick" the dog into thinking she is submissive.