Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question 5 week old pitbull questions

Hey guys i just bought a 5 week pitbull a few days ago and have a few questions, i heard it was bad to take them from there mom so young but the people i bought him from kept him in a cramped cage with 5 other dogs and he seems to be just fine with not being there no more. The people i got him from say he has gotti bloodline is there any way to tell for sure or do i just take there word for it? Im also a little unsure what to feed him i have been giving him pedigree little champions soft food about 4-5 times a day and he eats it right up and loves it. Is it to early to train him, ive been giving him treats when he goes to the bathroom outside and when he goes inside i raise my voice and ignore him for 20-30 secs and he seems to do pretty good with it is there any tips you could give me? Lastly i really want to bulk him up i run him around the house and a little bit outside but i live in florida and he gets hot quick in 90+ degrees i seen a supplement that you can give him that will bulk him up is he to young or is it not good for them. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks! :D

Oh dear.

1. He is too young to be away from the litter. You gave money to someone who is profiting off of bad breeding practices. This will encourage the person to continue doing so.

2. No papers mean you have no idea what his bloodline is, and likely the breeder doesn't either. Plan on neutering him when he gets older to prevent creating more dogs of unknown genetic background.

3. Pedigree is about as good for him as McDonald's for a toddler. Try Wellness puppy, Earthborn Puppy, Canidae Puppy or some other brand of low by-product food.

4. Continue with the praise when he eliminates outside. There is no point in correcting a puppy that young for accidents in the house. They cannot physically hold it and have to go when they have to go. Overnight and when you are not home he will need an area to sleep and an area to eliminate. He cannot hold it for more than a couple hours at this point.

5. You have to be out of your mind to try and bulk up a five week old puppy. That is like taking a toddler to the weight room- just stupid. Put him on a good food and allow him to grow. The only thing that will dictate how he looks when he is older is genetics.

I would strongly suggest a vet visit and fecal parasite check. It sounds like the "breeder" was clueless and that you will need some guidance in getting him started on his vaccines and preventatives.

Good luck...

Yes, 5 weeks is a bit young to leave mom and litter. Mom and littermates teach puppies doggie manners (how to communicate with other dogs) and bit inhibition. Since you got him so early you will have to teach him these things as best you can.

Gotti is a well known Am Bully bloodline and the only way to know a dogs history for sure is to get it from a reputable breeder with pedigree. Since this breeder doesn't sound reputable and you weren't given registration paperwork and a pedigree you can never really know.

A lot of Pit Bulls and Am Bullies develop allergies. For that reason a good grain free food is best. With a good food you will pay more, but you will feed less because the nutrition is so much better and you will have less waste coming out of the dog in the form of poop.

It is not too early to train. Puppies tend to have short memories and short attention spans, so for training you want to do a few 5 minute sessions a day and gradually increase this as the pup gets older and can pay attention longer. Taking a puppy cl$#@! and then moving on to a basic obedience cl$#@! with a good trainer is a huge help. Praising and treating when the pup goes potty outside is good.

Because dogs have such a good sense of smell and can smell where they have gone in the house long after you've cleaned it up, its best to prevent accidents if you can and to clean any accidents with bleach and water, vinegar and water, or a pet enzyme cleaner from the pet store. I like to crate a puppy if I cannot directly supervise and leash them to me when I can supervise that way the pup doesn't have a chance to go in the house or to get into and chew anything that could be harmful. I feed and water on a schedule so the pup poops and pees on a schedule and I can make sure to take it outside. With a young pup i take them outside first thing in the morning, after play, after naps, about 20-40 minutes after eating and drinking, immediately after letting out of the crate and right before I put them back in the crate and when i see them sniffing and circling looking for a place to potty.

No, I wouldnt give supplements to a pup that young. You don't want to bulk up a dog that young. Its $#@! bones and joints. Just feed a quality food, go for walks, play, train and let the dog mature for a year or so before worrying about adding supplements.

Images
    i agree he was way too young to be taken from the litter. our puppy was taken way too early (we found her so nothing we could really do about it) but she has turned out just fine. the only thing we really found that she might have learned if she stayed with the litter longer was the biting. now i know all puppies bite and go through that stage but she never got to learn from the other puppies how hard to bite and what hurt. she learned quickly that biting is a no-no and is alot better now.

as far as food we feed her blue buffalo because i wanted something that was good for her and didn't want to be feeding her "junk food". anything that has a low by-product would be good. the only thing i would suggest is watch how much you feed. we learned recently that giving her too much food makes her poop runny.

continue giving praises when he does something good such as going outside. we took ours out on a regular schedule and she learned very quickly that she had to go outside to go potty. yes she had a few accidents here and there only because she doesn't bark when she has to go out and just sits by the door and couldn't hold it any longer. keep him on a regular potty schedule (30 mins or so after feeding, right when he wakes up, before bedtime, and plenty of times in between).

and i would also strongly suggest getting him in for a vet visit also. make sure everything is ok with him and start getting vaccines started.

5. Thanks guys ill definatly be feeding him something better ill probaly get it from the vet when i take him there over the weekend and ya i figured it was a little to early for supplements and to be taken away from the litter but i live in south florida and the guy i got him from lived in a bad neighborhood had gold teeth and was just trying to get rid of the puppys so he could make room for another litter on the way i dont approve at all but atleast i could help him get out of that mess and he seems to be just fine he doesnt cry unless he needs to go to the bathroom he teethes very gently on my fingers and sometimes toes lol and he is fearless and gets along great with other dogs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	179927_3672198995989_1433134778_n.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	42385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	413715_415601988483375_902043013_o.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	42386

Images
    South florida??? I hope you don't mean Miami...

Don't be taking him everywhere, until all his puppy shots (parvo) are done! You will risk him getting it and it is NASTY and kills. Carry him everywhere you have to take him like the vet and don't socialize him with strange dogs at all.

7. No i dont live in miami i live about 20 miles north of there in broward county, dont think i would ever buy a dog from miami its a horrible place and ya im taking him to the vet over the weekend, any idea on how much the shots will cost so i have an idea when going in there and not be overwhelmed by a 500$+ vet bill ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotalon77 View Post
    No i dont live in miami i live about 20 miles north of there in broward county, dont think i would ever buy a dog from miami its a horrible place and ya im taking him to the vet over the weekend, any idea on how much the shots will cost so i have an idea when going in there and not be overwhelmed by a 500$+ vet bill ?
    Do you all have a florida aid to animals down there? That is what we use. I'm sure you have got to have some clinics that do discount.

Images
    Also....avoid feeding him whatever the vet recommends. They will usually be trying to sell you crap food like a Hills product and your puppy won't be any better off than eating Pedigree, but you will be paying a lot more. Go to a smaller pet food retailer, and ask for recomendations there. There are SO many good commercial diets to feed, and you want your puppy off to a good start. Some good brands are... Orijen, Acana, Taste of the Wild, Fromm, EVO, and there's many, many more.

Check this out for suggestions...
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
    Last edited by Purpledomino; 07-06-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added link

10. Not sure if we have aid i can ask a few friends that go to different clinics though and thanks domino i probaly would have just fed him what the vet told me i havent really seen any small pet food retailers down here just pet supermarkets ill probaly check there first they have a huge selection but the people working in there are kids still in there teens so i probaly wont be listening to there opinions

Images
    You need to wait until he's done growing before you 'bulk him up'. And that's at about eighteen months old. If you rush it you're going to risk seriously damaging your dog. I'll tell you what I tell everyone. You have years and years ahead of you to work with your dog. Why risk limiting those years because you want to rush your pup into adulthood? Just let him be a pup. Let him grow up. Keep the exercise light and fun. And when he's fully grown then you can really get to work on his fitness. =)

Wnnko I oppooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata 'mjjjjjj–”. Lynn. N

AWESOME. My 3 y/o posted. Sorry. Please delete both!! :). Now to fix my signature......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata 'mjjjjjj–”. Lynn. N

14. Quote Originally Posted by Little Lizard View Post
    You need to wait until he's done growing before you 'bulk him up'. And that's at about eighteen months old. If you rush it you're going to risk seriously damaging your dog. I'll tell you what I tell everyone. You have years and years ahead of you to work with your dog. Why risk limiting those years because you want to rush your pup into adulthood? Just let him be a pup. Let him grow up. Keep the exercise light and fun. And when he's fully grown then you can really get to work on his fitness. =)
    Ya i didnt think i would be able to bulk him up so soon was just curious when would be the right time to do so and he loves to run and jump around and i live on a nice clean lake and he loves to play in the water just not where its deep enough to where he has to swim yet

15. Why do you want to bulk him up?

Images
    Swimming is actually a very good method of exercising a dog. Once he knows how to swim well, of course. It's really easy on the joints and it's fun. =)

Yikes, poor puppy :(

Everyone has given you great advice, but one thing I want to repeat is how VITAL it is that you DO NOT let him WALK ANYWHERE outside, and you should also be taking your shoes off at the door or stepping in a bucket of bleach before coming back in your house from the outdoors. Parvo is vile, vile stuff and it can be carried in on shoes or if your pup walks outside. You DO NOT want him to get Parvo. He needs 3 Parvo vaccines, which you can start now since he is weaned. The shots are given 3-4 weeks apart. Once he has the 3rd shot, you need to wait another 2-3 weeks.. THEN he is as safe as he's going to be to walk outside!

Aside from that.. you won't find a food dog food at the super market. Just take a look at the ingredients... if "corn" of any sort is in the first five, you need to keep looking!

As for potty training.. take him outside every 20 minutes, immediately when he wakes up/eats/drinks, and during and immediately after play. If he starts to potty inside, simply take him outside to his potty spot. Don't raise your voice - you'll only scare him, and he'll start trying to hide if he has to potty while in the house. He literally can't hold it, so it's not his fault.

And, lastly.. He's CUTE! Does he have a name yet?

18. Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Yikes, poor puppy :(

Everyone has given you great advice, but one thing I want to repeat is how VITAL it is that you DO NOT let him WALK ANYWHERE outside, and you should also be taking your shoes off at the door or stepping in a bucket of bleach before coming back in your house from the outdoors. Parvo is vile, vile stuff and it can be carried in on shoes or if your pup walks outside. You DO NOT want him to get Parvo. He needs 3 Parvo vaccines, which you can start now since he is weaned. The shots are given 3-4 weeks apart. Once he has the 3rd shot, you need to wait another 2-3 weeks.. THEN he is as safe as he's going to be to walk outside!

Aside from that.. you won't find a food dog food at the super market. Just take a look at the ingredients... if "corn" of any sort is in the first five, you need to keep looking!

As for potty training.. take him outside every 20 minutes, immediately when he wakes up/eats/drinks, and during and immediately after play. If he starts to potty inside, simply take him outside to his potty spot. Don't raise your voice - you'll only scare him, and he'll start trying to hide if he has to potty while in the house. He literally can't hold it, so it's not his fault.

And, lastly.. He's CUTE! Does he have a name yet?
    Thanks im definatly going to get his parvo shots today and ya his name is rebel

Images
    Vet bills will vary. Try to find a vet who doesnt charge an office visit fee. The office visit fee is basically charging you for just having an appt and nothing else. Today I brought my boy in for his booster DAPPL and it cost me $27.00. If I include the gas I used driving 45 minutes each way I would say the total was about $40.00. Then again, I live in Vermont so prices may differ. Just look around for a GOOD vet that doesnt charge an arm and a leg. But don't just go to the cheapest one.

20. Well i went to the vet today and he was very helpful and gave me a first time puppy package which came with science diet puppy food, shampoo, ear cleanse solution, k9 advantix, one month of pet insurance, nails clipped and his first parvo shot and they charged me 80$.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast