Thread: Poor eyesight?

Poor eyesight?

This may be more health than behavioral, feel free to move it where it fits best.

Today, my friend came over and was standing outside when I let the dogs out to the backyard. He was standing at the foot of the stairs, there are 4 steps leading down to the ground.

My female instantly recognized him and started jumping around and acting all happy. My male, otoh, came running out barking, jumped toward my friend, then backed up and stopped. Once he realized he knew my friend, he was fine.

I'm not sure if this is just an eyesight issue, or maybe the friend startled him by standing there. No words were exchanged between us.

This is not the first time my boy has done this, but each time, it has been when he was in front of me, so maybe he's just being protective of me?

It goes like this, he sees the "intruder", he gets down low, runs toward them, barking, then backs up and waits for me. He doesn't make contact with the person at all, nor does he snap.

He's also done this when camping, when the same friend walked into the cabin without knocking.

It's just not clear to me how my female, who is 10 years old, seems to recognize people much faster than my male, who is 3 years old.

Images
    Sounds more like a poor sense of smell. Dogs don't usually rely on vision but smell. I have a couple dogs that will bark at my husband until he says something then they are so happy and jump all over him. They are the same dog that can't find a treat on the floor when you drop one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phebes View Post
    Sounds more like a poor sense of smell. Dogs don't usually rely on vision but smell. I have a couple dogs that will bark at my husband until he says something then they are so happy and jump all over him. They are the same dog that can't find a treat on the floor when you drop one.
    Hadn't thought of that. Another thing, if I do drop food on the floor, and you know how you tap your foot where it dropped and that's the universal dog language of...I dropped it right there! Well, he doesn't get it. No clue at all.

4. I'd agree it's not the smell, but I would probably classify it more in the behavioral than smell. He seems to feel the need to protect you, which should be addressed. It's not a big issue since he's stopping at a reasonable point in his protectiveness, but it should still be addressed.

What type of background and training does he have? That might factor into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ant View Post
    I'd agree it's not the smell, but I would probably classify it more in the behavioral than smell. He seems to feel the need to protect you, which should be addressed. It's not a big issue since he's stopping at a reasonable point in his protectiveness, but it should still be addressed.

What type of background and training does he have? That might factor into it.
    He's a rescue, dumped at a vet's office. I have a trainer that comes to the house, and have been working with him on basic obedience type stuff.

I have no problem calling him back when he does this, actually, I don't even have to call him back, he stops himself.

And with someone coming into the cabin, like my friend did, unannounced, I actually don't mind him taking the initiative to protect in that instance. I was asleep at the time, so really, he was just doing his job.

Also, the thing with the stairs, I had come through the door first, then my girl, then the boy, so maybe he just thought we both didn't notice the "intruder"?