Images

Post seeking some advice on what to give puppy to stop diarrhea

kane has gotten a case of diarrhea and I read in a previous thread that pepto/immodium may help with this also the rice and hamburger or chicken broth diet may help..but,is this also a remedy for puppies or just adult dogs.Kane is almost 11 weeks old and weighs 9 lbs. any help or advice on how to help him get better will be appreciated.thanks,newpupmama

I have always used Imodium, but never had to on a puppy, so I can not recommend it in your case.

It has been said that canned pumpkin can help either diarrhea or constipation.

This is what I have found from another site ~

"If your dog or cat is having the occasional case of constipation or diarrhea, one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin. Yes canned pumpkin in its pureed form (NOT pumpkin pie filling) is a fantastic stool softener which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. It often helps with upset stomach or indigestion for both cats and dogs. It is very rich in fibre and adding just one or two teaspoonfuls to your pet's food often gets the system moving in no time. Dogs will occasionally want to eat it directly and that's fine too. Sometimes though, finicky cats and dogs won't touch it no matter what you do.

On the opposite end of things is diarrhea. Since the dietary fibre in canned pumpkin absorbs water, it can be a great help to a cat or dog that has diarrhea. Some pet owners report that it firms up their pet's loose stools or diarrhea within a few hours. Again one to two teaspoonfuls is all that is needed.

N.B. It should be noted that both diarrhea and constipation can both be very serious and require immediate veterinary care depending on the cause. Whatever the cause, diarrhea or constipation lasting more than 24-36 hours requires vet care."

Images
    we had given him to eat -milk bone and his regular puppy food maybe the combination just didn't settle well with his stomach.Thanks for the tip ,I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by newpupmama View Post
    we had given him to eat -milk bone and his regular puppy food maybe the combination just didn't settle well with his stomach.Thanks for the tip ,I will try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBingo View Post

N.B. It should be noted that both diarrhea and constipation can both be very serious and require immediate veterinary care depending on the cause. Whatever the cause, diarrhea or constipation lasting more than 24-36 hours requires vet care."

Has worms, coccidia, parvo, etc. been ruled at as a cause for the diarrhea?

huskylove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by screamin'eagle View Post
    Has worms, coccidia, parvo, etc. been ruled at as a cause for the diarrhea?
    Right question, has the pup had a fecal test done? 11 week old pups almost always have parasites of some kind, all treatable, but he really should be checked out quickly, as chronic diarrhea can just about kill a young pup if not dealt with. Do make sure he is getting plenty of fluids, Pedialyte is fine to give along with lots of water.

Images
    I will be taking him in on Monday should the diarrhea continue.This week is the first week he went on his new puppy food .(we recently changed him from puppy chow to Diamond for puppies) He has an appt.scheduled for the 18th of this month for his second round of vaccinations he has been dewormed and I am unsure if the diarrhea is from a cause of coccidia,parvo or from just the change in brands of food. Would I have to get a fecal sample to take in with me to the vet to check if it is one of these ? Thanks for the advice on this matter.

huskylove Guest
    Yes, bring two samples with you, they can test them on the spot, because even though he's been dewormed once, sometimes they do get a resistant bug that needs a second round of Pyrantel or Drontal.

And a little FYI, Diamond is one of the brands that's been consistently on the recall lists, you may want to find a different, and better, food to put him on.

cottage cheese and plain cooked white rice

and agree w/huskylove on switching brands yet again

Images
    we will be taking him in on monday with the samples.what brand of puppy food is good for a growing pup that will help him grow to be a healthy adult dog.also do you think changing the brands of food will once again give him diarrhea. I have just been offering Kane plenty of fluids should I offer him his food as well or wait until the diarrhea clears up.thanks for all the tips and advice,newpupmama

10. Innova is a good food. Not the EVO, the regular Innova:)

11. Canned pumpkin will help, etc. works great. You can use pedialyte to help keep him hydrated as well.

Innova, Canidae, Blue Buffalo (my personal favorite), Wellness are all good brands. There's lots of them out there. :)

Quote Originally Posted by newpupmama View Post
    we will be taking him in on monday with the samples.what brand of puppy food is good for a growing pup that will help him grow to be a healthy adult dog.also do you think changing the brands of food will once again give him diarrhea. I have just been offering Kane plenty of fluids should I offer him his food as well or wait until the diarrhea clears up.thanks for all the tips and advice,newpupmama
    www.dogfoodanalysis.com gives ratings and ingredients lists for virtually all the foods you can find out there

If you change slowly, there is less chance of upset. You mix a little new with a little old over a few days until you have more new than old, and eventually only new food.

I wouldn't feed him any dog food for 12 hours after his last runny stool, then start him on plain cooked white rice and cottage cheese. Make sure he has access to water, though.