Acana Grain Free " all life stages ".. is this puppy also??

I am feeding my 4 month only pit Orijen puppy but its too rich for her and is giving her gas and diarrhea but i like the quality of their food so im thinking of feeding Acana fromt he same company which is less protein. Problem is the grain free formula doesnt have a puppy version.. From the dog food advisor links it says all life stages means puppy too but acana's site says adult dog food but says it meets the all life stages standard. can anyone clarify if this is suitable puppy food?? thanks for the advice in advance..

Wild Prairie | Acana

Both are pretty good foods, but seeing as you want somebody else's opinion on which of the two brands you would like to feed your girl is better, I'll give you my opinion for whatever it's worth.

I would go for the Acana Wild Prairie.

The Orijin Puppy contains Lactobacillus and is used to treat yeast and prevent infections as well as help with the gastrointestinal tract. Enterococcus faecium, another probiotic, is also found in the ingredients and is naturally found in the gastrointestinal tract as well. If you haven't switched your puppy off of another brand in the last 2 weeks, it is probably the Lactobacillus causing gas/bloating/diarrhea. It could be she is getting too much, but it is difficult to say so with certainty, because the ingrediants do not list the cfu of lactobacillus or enterococcus used in the formula. Before you switch foods, I'd call and ask your vet. It could be something else in her diet upsetting her stomach.

Again, if you haven't switched foods recently, I'd go with the Acana and see what happens. Just keep in mind that when swithcing foods diarrhea can occur as the dog gets use to the new formula and ingredients involved. I hope this has helped!:)

I may just give it a little more time on this food and finish out the bag and see how it goes. I may have been over feeding at 1st because she was busy playing forgetting to eat always so i would leave food down in the bowl and let her eat.. Now i have her portioned out 1cup 2x per day and she eats when i put it down until its gone. My concern is feeding an adult dog food like acana as a puppy when the vet says she needs to be on puppy food for 1 year.. Shes gained 3.5lbs in 3 weeks on orijen but i just read a little bit about it causing soft stools and excessive bathroom trips which is what im experiencing which has made me think of swapping to another food.. She will poop 4-5x a day sometimes and ALOT not just a tiny bit which is what made me realize i was over feeding probably just like with humans.. So ill give it a couple weeks and see if firms up any more with the proper amounts of food. thanks for the advice..

Make sure you aren't overfeeding. Its really high calorie food. That is most likely the cause of the gas/diarreah.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
    Make sure you aren't overfeeding. Its really high calorie food. That is most likely the cause of the gas/diarreah.
    Probably the case.. Maybe i jumped the gun.. just walked her and 90% of the stool was firmer now and the end a little diarrhea.. Ill monitor the next few days and see if my rationing properly clears things up for her.. Thanks for the help..

"puppy food" is more of a marketing strategy then anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by MsAcer View Post
    "puppy food" is more of a marketing strategy then anything else.
    I wonder that though.. not as tho 1 is more $$ and the vets cant be stupid if they recommend 1 year on it. Hopefully i was just over feeding..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deezuhl View Post
    I wonder that though.. not as tho 1 is more $$ and the vets cant be stupid if they recommend 1 year on it. Hopefully i was just over feeding..
    You might be surprised just how little many vets know about canine nutrition. What with pushing crappy brands like Hills S/D because they get kickbacks and most of their formal nutrition training was funded by specific companies.. It's really a shame.