1. Cortisone shot = mood swing?

I have two female pit bulls...always separated unless we are in the room. Well, yesterday we had to take Sophie to the vet for allergies in her ears and they gave her a cortisone shot. Since last night, Sophie has been a FREAK. She has instigated three fights. I've been home alone for two of them, and because I didn't have my husband to help me break them up, I had to alleviate the fights myself. I ended up with lots of bruises and scratches and a couple of small bites in the process. With my husband, we make a good team to separate the dogs but it's hard for me to do alone.

Anyways, Bella and Sophie are usually good together. Because they are females (I know, bad combo, but they are rescues and we're as careful and patient as possible with them) I am really worried about their being able to bounce back quickly. They never stay "moody" for so long. Not sure what's up. Could it be the cortisone shot??? Please help.

Images
    It could be the shot, it could be pain/discomfort from allergies.

OR (and much more probable), she could be "turning on". APBTs were originally bred for dog-on-dog combat. In being so, they were bred to be dog aggressive. This isn't a fault in them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this normal behavior. The majority of the general public $#@!umes it's a training issue, which, in fact, it is not. It's impossible to train genetics out of a dog. There are some bulldogs that get along well with just about any other dog, some get along with only other resident dogs, some only females, some only males. There are varying levels of dog aggression but it's still not to be taught that it doesn't exist. Truth be told, if your dog gets along with other dogs, is the exception not the rule.

Just so you're aware: Dog Aggression and Human Aggression are NOT the same thing. DA dogs do not "tend" to turn on their owners. There is no relation between the 2. That said, HA is completely undesirable in this breed and any dog exhibiting it needs to be PTS.

If you can't get your dogs apart if a fight breaks out while you're alone, you need to reconsider letting them be together. You can bond with one while the other is in another room or in her crate.

The following stickies will help you out immensely, regarding this normal behavior, if you haven't already read them:

The APBT and Aggression

Always Expect a Bulldog To Fight
    Being a responsible APBT owner

3. I am aware dog and human aggression is totally different. I'm not so much worried about "me." the only bites I got were from me getting in the middle of them like a moron. These two are usually OK; when they aren't, we quickly move their attention to something else. I'm loving on Bella on the couch now and listening to Sophie howl in her crate. She's being jealous, but she's trained to stay alone in the crate so she's just going to have to deal with it.

Thanks for your help.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_awashington View Post
    I am aware dog and human aggression is totally different. I'm not so much worried about "me." the only bites I got were from me getting in the middle of them like a moron. These two are usually OK; when they aren't, we quickly move their attention to something else. I'm loving on Bella on the couch now and listening to Sophie howl in her crate. She's being jealous, but she's trained to stay alone in the crate so she's just going to have to deal with it.

Thanks for your help.
    I'm glad you are aware of the difference. It's something I often post with responses related to dog aggression just in case someone stumbles across the thread from Google or someone is lurking the forum. :D Not everyone knows there's a difference.

5. Just called an emergency vet and they said the shot she got: methylprednisone, COULD cause "viciousness." amazing. I would have rather her not had this dang shot!

Images
    I wouldn't call it "viciousness". Maybe something more like irritability. Either way, you need to keep the possibility of dog aggression in mind and if you cannot safely separate 2 fighting dogs by yourself, then they need to remain separated while you're alone.

7. Oh, that's just the word the vet used. Said it was the word listed under possible side effects. But yes, I agree 100% about them being separated. Playing musical dogs for their potty breaks. :-)

Images
    I figured that's why it was in quotes.

I play musical dogs all day every day with my dogs. It's not so bad. ;) Plus, it's good for them to get used to not always being together.

9. If you arnt strong enough or don't feel comfortable enough to break up a fight don't let them together when your husbands not around.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Haha I've gotten steroid shots for allergic reactions before. They make me have mood swings, usually in the aggressive direction. But who knows. It could just be mental. haha But I would guess that's what has happened.

Images
    Steroids absolutely cause manic episodes. In humans and animals. Do not underestimate the side effect "viciousness" as an exaggeration. Any steroid can cause dangerous mood swings. Your vet is irresponsible for not properly teaching you about the side effects. I do agree that an animal or human that is already at risk for violent tendencies is more at risk to become aggressive, vicious, harmful, etc.
    Some need psychothearpy and/or sedatives during treatment.
    I advise making sure your vet has listed the steroid treatment as having an adverse reaction in your beloved pet. Remember also that it may take a few days for their system to return to normal, even after their last dose. Also, NEVER abruptly stop a steroid regimen, one must be titrated off. A one time dose is different, but the dose packs, and tapered treatments must be taken as directed.
    Last edited by 4girlsgiggling; 06-19-2012 at 05:43 PM.

12. I called and had my vet make notes on both girls' paperwork so there is NO chance of them giving either one of them a steroid again without "knowing" I have asked them not to. Things did end up cooling down, but we've discovered that Sophie seems to have resource guarding issues that are fairly severe. We're working on that.