Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

newborn puppy bleeding from nose and mouth

Can anyone give me some advice? I have a litter of 8 puppies that are 5 days old. Last night a pup that was eating well and active went limp was bleeding. From the nose and eventually the mouth. He ended up gasping for air for some time and died. Today this same thing happened today to another pup. I. Rushed him to the vet. The vet really had no answers for me. She suggested ingestion of poison, trama, and fading puppy syndrome. Has anybody had this same issue. The vet was really just guessing. I don't want to loose the other 6 pups. I've lost two and that's two to many.

2. how do you have them set up? NOT fading puppy syndrome. Fading puppies do not bleed.

Be descriptive of exactly how the whelping area is set up, where, what, everything.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

at this age unless someone was putting poison in it's mouth, it is very unlikely to be ingesting poison randomly, unless you have them loose in an area where there is poison that they could accidentally put their mouths on.

It's most likely trauma of some kind, possibly the mother is accidentally crushing them. Knowing how your whelping area is set up can help you solve this.

I have a box that is 6x6. Its 15" high. I have no ledge for them. The floor is wood covered in blankets that I change daily. The mom sometimes carries the babies out of the whelping area. Right now I have seperated mom and pups.

Images
    I'm sorry for your loss.. can you have a necropsy done on one of the pups to find out what you're dealing with? I really hope the other pups will be ok too. :(

The vet said she would do a autopsy and call me with the results. She was at an after hours place not my usual vet. To be honest I don't have much faith in any thing she said. Most of what she said isn't a possibility.

Images
    Parvo....

7. not bleeding out of nose and mouth. Not parvo. Parvo also has a 7-9 day incubation period.

It's likely the mother is accidentally stepping on them, laying on them, or dropping them if she's carrying them around.

Best to try bottle feeding and see what happens. If no one else has these symptoms once separated from mom, then you'll know it was likely something she was doing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorpit View Post
    not bleeding out of nose and mouth. Not parvo. Parvo also has a 7-9 day incubation period.

It's likely the mother is accidentally stepping on them, laying on them, or dropping them if she's carrying them around.

Best to try bottle feeding and see what happens. If no one else has these symptoms once separated from mom, then you'll know it was likely something she was doing.
    Yeah. It was just a guess. When I was picking up Kahlee from the very after her spay, there was a couple there that had a pup doing the same thing with the bleeding. But it was much older then 5 days old. More like 6-8 Weeks old

I'm only going to put them together for feeding for the time being. I monitor all feedings and she doesn't try to be mobile during that time

10. I have NEVER seen puppies that age bleed, gasp and then die like that.
    If they get stepped on, they usually don't bleed and you usually FIND them dead after you return after being away from the box.

I really hate to see you separate them.

Stay with them if you have to to watch that she doesn't lay on them.

It is NOT unusual for bitches to want to move their pups about this time. They'll get over it in a couple of days. Just keep putting the pups back til she gets over it.

Taking mom away just causes other problems. Can you or someone just stay with her a couple of days? If you have to separate, bring her in to let them nurse 3-4 times a day while you stay with them...
    (edit -- okay good)
    Carla

Images
    Please let us know the outcome of what is found.

The only thing I can think of is Mastitis poisons the puppies... but I still don't think it causes them to bleed like that. Rat poison will though... but that seems pretty unlikely.

I sleep. Next to the whelping box. I help her with feedings so the little ones get enough milk. I rarely leave and when I do my wife is there to watch em. Its really disturbing first it was the smallest, then it was the largest. I don't want to seperate her but 2 in 2 days. I don't what else to do.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

The vet suggested rat poison ingestion by the mother and being passed on to the pups through the milk. I don't have any posion in my house or yard. Plus the mother has no syptoms and is not ill in anyway. So I ruled that one out. I also had them do a blood test to see if she was unable to clot.

14. yeah. it's highly unlikely to be poison traveling through the mother. If their was enough in her system to kill the pups, she'd be showing signs of it too.

It still could be truama. The effects of being stepped on or knocked about would depend on where or how they are getting stepped on/knocked about. Internal injury to the lungs, digestive tract or head could easily explain the bleeding and gasping.

Mastitis doesn't cause bleeding, but DOES cause symptoms similar to the other things the OP is seeing. I dealt with a misdiagnosed case of mastitis on a rescue dog that caused the loss of the entire litter.

One day the pups would be fine and dandy, the next one pup was listless, and 12 hours later, dead. Then the next day another puppy would be listless and dead within 12 hours, so on and so on. Only difference was no bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorpit View Post
    yeah. it's highly unlikely to be poison traveling through the mother. If their was enough in her system to kill the pups, she'd be showing signs of it too.

It still could be truama. The effects of being stepped on or knocked about would depend on where or how they are getting stepped on/knocked about. Internal injury to the lungs, digestive tract or head could easily explain the bleeding and gasping.

Mastitis doesn't cause bleeding, but DOES cause symptoms similar to the other things the OP is seeing. I dealt with a misdiagnosed case of mastitis on a rescue dog that caused the loss of the entire litter.

One day the pups would be fine and dandy, the next one pup was listless, and 12 hours later, dead. Then the next day another puppy would be listless and dead within 12 hours, so on and so on. Only difference was no bleeding.
    That's basically my situation. The pups were eating fine gaining weight, everything was good. Then the little one was limp and had no energy to eat. So I tried to hold him at the teat but he wouldn't eat. So I called the vet, they said to bottle feed and if that did not work to use a syringe. I did all that and nothing. Then the gasping started shortly after. The nose was. Purplish and had blood coming out of it. Then it led to a raspy sound when he was breathing. Blood started pouring out his mouth then he died a few minutes later. Today it happened again with the second pup. Blood from the nose I went straight to the vet and there was nothing they could do. This sucks. It has to be trama from mom but she stresses out if she's away from them under certain conditions

Something on the mother's skin or fur that the puppies are ingesting perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithCurs View Post
    Something on the mother's skin or fur that the puppies are ingesting perhaps?
    Hmm. Maybe. It won't hurt to look her over

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiebooboo View Post
    Hmm. Maybe. It won't hurt to look her over
    I think he meant perhaps a shampoo, cream or some sort??

Did you recently issue flea cream?

Something along those lines. Medicines, creams, been in gr$#@! with pesticides, ect ect

Oh no... Nothing like that. No flea stuff, shampoo, no peticides in yard. Shes really an inside dog that sunbaths a couple hours a day. No creams. She's her regular Smelly self. I haven't taken her anywhere.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Just got the call. From the vet. She did an autopsy and said the puppy had a collapsed lung. She recommended sperating or supervising the puppies and mom. There was no sign of disease or infection. Trauma from mom. What a drag. At least its fixable and with the proper care the rest of the litter will be fine. Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast