1. Lightbulb Another allergy question...

So my pooch has bumps on her back and the hair is raised where the bumps are. She's a blue am bully 8 mos old...i've narrowed it down to 2 things...Either shes having a reaction to the deodorizer I sometimes use on her...Or she's allergic to chicken. I feed her Blue Buffalo Puppy chicken and rice formula. I didnt notice this when I had her on Purina One(which the main ingredient was lamb)...She dosent seem to act differently, but the bumps bother me. I've stopped using the deodorizing spray and im trying raw for a week to see if it clears up. Anyone ever had a dog NOT do well on BB Wilderness? I think she may have a sensitive stomach as well...Her stool has never been up to par. Even on the BB, her stool improved but was still not as firm as it probably should be. Any suggestions on a diff food? Will benadryl help with the bumps?
    Any advice is appreciated.....

Blue dogs are notorious for skin issues. It's possible that she may be allergic to chicken or the deodorizer. How often do you use the deodorizer?

Benadryl will help with any itching and MAYBE bumps.

I'm thinking it may be the deodorizer. Or something outside.

Images
    I'd start with the food first.. Keep in mind that the majority of skin allergies are environment-related, not food-related, however, you mention chronic loose stool as well which screams food allergies to me. I'd start with something grain-/poultry-free. You can try Blue Buffalo Wilderness. One of my dogs does well on it. Though it's not the best grain-free food out there, he's kept on it simply because he does well on it. I've heard of other dogs not doing well on it but really, all dogs are individuals and are affected differently by different foods.

Though I, personally, feed my dog (there are 3 in my house) raw (Prey Model Raw), I wouldn't suggest you feed it for a week to see if it helps. Quite honestly, it can take up to 6 months to show full benefits of raw feeding. It also can take that long, or longer, for your dog to be completely used to it as it digests completely differently than kibble. If you want to try raw, I suggest you step into our http://www.pitbull-chat.com/forumdis...Raw-Food-Diets section and figure out if it's something you really want to do, and do all the way, the right way.

Benedryl can definitely help with itches and bumps, however, it's only a band-aid and isn't getting to the root cause of the problems. I would stop the deodorizer as well. Is there a reason you use one?

These bumps sound like hives which are, more often than not, caused by allergic reactions. Do you have pics that you can post?

I tried to touch on all of your points, please keep us updated. :)

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    I'd start with the food first.. Keep in mind that the majority of skin allergies are environment-related, not food-related, however, you mention chronic loose stool as well which screams food allergies to me. I'd start with something grain-/poultry-free. You can try Blue Buffalo Wilderness. One of my dogs does well on it. Though it's not the best grain-free food out there, he's kept on it simply because he does well on it. I've heard of other dogs not doing well on it but really, all dogs are individuals and are affected differently by different foods.

Though I, personally, feed my dog (there are 3 in my house) raw (Prey Model Raw), I wouldn't suggest you feed it for a week to see if it helps. Quite honestly, it can take up to 6 months to show full benefits of raw feeding. It also can take that long, or longer, for your dog to be completely used to it as it digests completely differently than kibble. If you want to try raw, I suggest you step into our http://www.pitbull-chat.com/forumdis...Raw-Food-Diets section and figure out if it's something you really want to do, and do all the way, the right way.

Benedryl can definitely help with itches and bumps, however, it's only a band-aid and isn't getting to the root cause of the problems. I would stop the deodorizer as well. Is there a reason you use one?

These bumps sound like hives which are, more often than not, caused by allergic reactions. Do you have pics that you can post?

I tried to touch on all of your points, please keep us updated. :)
    ^This.
    If you're going to go raw.... do it all the way and stick with it.

If you're not ready and want to try a diff. food first.....
    California Natural is a great brand choice. I recommend you try the venison formula.
    Natural Balance is another brand... but California Natural is slightly better.

Benedryl has always helped my dogs with hives. Hives are usually $#@!ociated with stings or bites.

And if the deodorizer is a potential problem, eliminate it.

Allergies are a bitch to pin point and deal with. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Also, if you're going to do a food switch... be sure to slowly transition over to the new food.

6. @danceswithcurs I use the deodorizer maybe 2x a week...I try not to bathe her but every 3 weeks...shes an inside dog soooo sometimes she gets a lil stinky...

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

@danceswithcurs I use the deodorizer maybe 2x a week...I try not to bathe her but every 3 weeks...shes an inside dog soooo sometimes she gets a lil stinky...

@Unoriginal I dnt think BB makes any other "flavor" puppy food other than chicken n rice.(which is what I'm feeding her) As I stated before, I try and only give her baths every 3-4 weeks...so sometimes she gets a lil stinky. Ive done alot of research on the raw feeding...I think it can actually be done for what I'm paying for the BB....I chose the BARF diet as I feel the Fruits and vegetables add SOME kinda nutrients to the meal. I'll get some pic up here in a minute. And I see you're from Chicago...Born and raised there on the south side...Can you send me a DEEP DISH PIZZA?!?! I'm in texas and they have NO idea what real pizza is.....God I miss home.....

@Blaze n Pits...Those foods that you speak of...where are they sold?...Commercial Pet stores or feed stores? I was thinking TOTW duck and sweet potato formula...Or maybe something with fish in it(I heard that makes some dogs stink as well.)

I appreciate all the input and advice....

The first time Stella broke out in hives, it was due to mosquito bites....and when she was a pup, she also had chronic loose stools. We had a really tough time getting her to eat kibble of any kind. Finally we switched to raw and we haven't had an issue with her eating habits since. I think eating kibble made her feel sick and that's why she wouldn't eat it. We even tried the "take away the food" routine, figuring that she'd eat when she was hungry if we made her skip a meal or two - we were wrong. Stella is a blue also. I think they have pretty sensitive stomachs as well as skin.
    Please make sure you do your research on raw and you do it right. It's not hard, as long as you're educated.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by musiklounge
    @Unoriginal I dnt think BB makes any other "flavor" puppy food other than chicken n rice.(which is what I'm feeding her) As I stated before, I try and only give her baths every 3-4 weeks...so sometimes she gets a lil stinky. Ive done alot of research on the raw feeding...I think it can actually be done for what I'm paying for the BB....I chose the BARF diet as I feel the Fruits and vegetables add SOME kinda nutrients to the meal. I'll get some pic up here in a minute. And I see you're from Chicago...Born and raised there on the south side...Can you send me a DEEP DISH PIZZA?!?! I'm in texas and they have NO idea what real pizza is.....God I miss home.....

@Blaze n Pits...Those foods that you speak of...where are they sold?...Commercial Pet stores or feed stores? I was thinking TOTW duck and sweet potato formula...Or maybe something with fish in it(I heard that makes some dogs stink as well.)

I appreciate all the input and advice....
    You didn't post how often you bathed your dog until after my post.

Actually, BB Wilderness DOES have a puppy food:

http://www.bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/wilderness-puppy

Although, your pup is more of a young adult now and would be fine to switch to adult food.

What kind of "stinky" does she get? Some smells are just natural dog smells but others, such as a corn chippy smell, are actually signs of sickness or allergies. My dog gets bathed 3-4 times per year, tops. I think he got all of 3 baths in 2011. So far this year, he hasn't gotten any. He just gets brushed.

Fruits and veggies don't add any nutrients that the dog can't get from eating a well-balanced, properly dog PMR diet. Dedicated to proper carnivore nutrition - Prey Model Raw Feeding for Dogs & Cats They also digest at different rates than the meat/organ/bone and can cause issues. On top of that, their systems were not designed to be herbivores or even omnivores. Short digestive tracts and teeth for tearing, rather than chewing.

Ugh, I'm so sick of pizza right now actually. I lived downtown for a couple years and that's all I ate, now I'm done. ;)

I wouldn't suggest TOTW right now, with the recalls all over the place. I wouldn't suggest anything from Diamond at all, even if you're not in an "affected area". Better safe than sorry.. Another reason to raw feed so you know what you're feeding and exactly where it came from ;)

CA Natural and Natural Balance are usually sold in feed stores.
    You can go to google to find their sites, then find where in your area sells their products....

We find Natural Balance at our local Wilco and Coastal Farm.
    We couldn't find the CA Natural- venison formula around our area so we just order it off of PetFlow | Get Started and have it delivered to us.